Sign in to follow this  
Mladuna

Improving FPS (game performance)

Are there any tips and tricks to improve game performance on a really low-end machine. Some inn. editing or something?

What do you mean by low end machine?

What do you mean by low end machine?

By that I mean a laptop whit a Mobile AMD Sempron 3100+ (1.79 GHz) whit 384 mg of ram (odd nuber, I know) and a ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M grafic card.

run dxdiag and turn off sound hardware acceleration

I noticed some of the custom maps like Israel seem to load and run better. The Arctic bering strait map runs nice as well as it doesn't have too many objects.

By that I mean a laptop whit a Mobile AMD Sempron 3100+ (1.79 GHz) whit 384 mg of ram (odd nuber, I know) and a ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M grafic card.

That's barely enough RAM for Windows XP by itself, never mind while running it in conjunction with a sim. I'd say you'd want 512 mb of RAM ( at minimum), and preferably, at least 1024 mb.

You can start by turning down the graphics options and view distances to minimum settings , and then bumping them up progressivly until you find a setting that you can live with.

Guest Sony Tuckson

the 384 mb avbl comes from the total 512 out of which 128 has been taken out for the video routines

you could reduce that to 64 via the BIOS, but it will remain too short on total memory anyway, less than 1024 is not enough

I don't know if there's a setting for this on WoE/WoV, but on FE you can set the graphics display mode to "low" in the options menu. The amount of sacrifice in terms of cool-looking graphics is pretty negligible.

As others have said, the best thing you could do for that laptop is upgrade the RAM to 1 GB. The cost / benefit ratio would be huge and everything you do with the laptop would be affected positively.

As others have said, the best thing you could do for that laptop is upgrade the RAM to 1 GB. The cost / benefit ratio would be huge and everything you do with the laptop would be affected positively.

Negative. When I bought the computer, the model (HP Compaq nx6125) was already one year old and there were no additional RAM modules for this model left on the market or at least that`s what they told me at the shop and I really didn't wanted to spend time and money searching for those.

Anyway; Crusader and Sony, thanks for the advices, these are really helpful.

Edited by Mladuna

Negative. When I bought the computer, the model (HP Compaq nx6125) was already one year old and there were no additional RAM modules for this model left on the market or at least that`s what they told me at the shop and I really didn't wanted to spend time and money searching for those.

Really? http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...Notebook+nx6125

Entering the race with a machine that just barely meets minimum system specs for all Thirdwire products... Aside from turning "everything" down in the graphic settings, there is literally nothing that can improve your game play save upgrading your unit.

:dntknw:

Entering the race with a machine that just barely meets minimum system specs for all Thirdwire products... Aside from turning "everything" down in the graphic settings, there is literally nothing that can improve your game play save upgrading your unit.

:dntknw:

" upgrading your unit."

It always comes down to this for us men dosn't it? :rofl:

Are there any tips and tricks to improve game performance on a really low-end machine. Some inn. editing or something?

Im stuck with 256m onboard graphics until nVidia makes drivers that work with Star Wars Galaxies. So i understand what your asking. A Little Trick that no one ever mentions is to go into each aircrafts folder and open its textures in a decent paint program and reduce the size of the image. If The Texture File is 1024x1024 then just resize the file to 512x512, or for even better performance try 256x256. Reduction of image file size means you will lose some detail, At 512x512 its not really that noticable, Any lower and you can see the difference, but it still does not look too bad. As For resizing the Decals, i have found most of them to be less than 512x512 already and did not need to resize them. So only do the aircraft textures, however you also might want to look at your Terrain Textures, Especially the Runway tiles, and make sure they are all 512x512 or less.

Also run the game in a lower resolution, try 800x600 or 640x480. That should improve framerates. Hope this helps!

" upgrading your unit."

It always comes down to this for us men doesn't it? :rofl:

ROFLOL! :rofl:

Man... Just can't get out of the gutter around here. (More pissed I didn't catch that innuendo first!)

:biggrin:

Edited by Zurawski

Do they make any pills for that laptop?? :grin: