Sign in to follow this  
Brain32

I did something, what do you think

Was a bit busy with RL, but I'm generally free after tommorow morning so it will go faster soon. I saturated the textures a bit, made some nice transitions(forrest-field-grass-etc.), fixed some seams, etc.

I also plan to make a whole new forrest tile, found some textures that look better...

I'll probably have some new screenies tomorrow or the day after so you guys can tell me if it's better :smile:

Ok before I go any further, I want opinion on the change, this image shows what the change is all about nicely I think.

Change.jpg

It simply looks great!! :ok:

I'm also bothered in how Vietnam should look in the 60's 70's. Will be cool to have some aerial colour pics. As some draws show Vietnam as lot less lush than I always touhght

Thx for the kind words guys :smile: So I guess I have a go with the new more saturated textures? I mean you like them better right? I need to know before I continue :wink:

Ofcourse I primarly did this for myself but if you guys like it...

I'm still messing around with it, as I have some submerged trees on river tiles :blink:

Also this is the first time I ever messed around with something like that so don't expect miracles :biggrin:

The textures are made of satelite imagery and are all taken around(this means quite a lot around) Ho-Shi-Min city area. I do not know how much and if they at all match the general look of Vietnam during the war, but this is how it looks like some 30-40 years later :biggrin:

Ok here are the pics so please tell me what do you think, thx.

Scr10.jpg

Scr9.jpg

Scr8.jpg

Scr7.jpg

Scr6.jpg

Scr5.jpg

Scr4.jpg

Scr3.jpg

Scr2.jpg

Scr1.jpg

outstanding work!!! this would look great in my WOV!! keep up the outstanding work!! dan

Well I just had a test ride with new changes, this is generally it, some cosmetic changes and messing with trees and it will be done :biggrin:

Thud posing over smaller city.

img00003.jpg

Quick glance from the cockpit does no reveal that there's like 10 SAM launch warnings issued per second :black eye:

img00004.jpg

Two shots showing things don't look bad even down low(20-30m)

img00010.jpg

img00011.jpg

Again our top model, the F-105 posing over new forrest

img00013.jpg

And in the end, a quick look down from MiG-21MF checking how all this looks like form 5000-6000m

img00018.jpg

Some of it is lost due to *.jpg conversion, but the general feel is still present :wink:

EDIT: OK the damn *.jpg ate half of it lol, but...you can still see I hope

Edited by Brain32

The tiles look fantastic. I know how much hard work you are putting into these so I am especially appreciative. I have been reworking the tiles for the Libya map update I am working on.

Well yeah, it all started pretty smooth, I found some nice textures on GoogleEarth, I saved them, started making layers and stuff, and then...MY worst nightmare was to make "Field"(VietnamGx.bmp) tiles seamless. Now I'm quite handy with Photoshop,GIMP and that stuff, and sure making a seamless texture is easy, but making all 4 sides seamless, AND avoiding creation of some major, un-natural pattern, especially on satelite imagery extracted textures was a freakin' nightmare, and then there's the transition texture, the "field" texure appears on like half of the total tiles, so if you mess it up and correct it, you need to apply it over and over and over again...

Anyway I atleast learned a lot, and made some tehniques in the process, if I was to go again at Vietnam, I'm sure it would go faster and end up better, but I had enough of VietnamSEA, maybe I'll go for something else :wink:

In this terrain there's still one of my earliest tehniques, there are patterns, but they are blended in good enough that one who plays the game and is not into finiding a pattern in the terrain will not notice. Then again maybe I see it because I made it :lol:

Anyways, I finished the basic painting 30mins ago, now the horrors of planting trees AGAIN

Carpal tunnel syndrome avoidance: ON :lol:

Edited by Brain32

Uploaded about two hours ago, awaiting approval...

:clapping::good::ok::clapping:

I don't know what's the procedure, do I need to post in File announcement area first, or do something else???

Or maybe just no mods saw it yet :smile:

Edited by Brain32
  • Dislike 1