Sign in to follow this  
Brain32

I did something, what do you think

Ofcourse I primarly did this for myself but if you guys like it...

I'm still messing around with it, as I have some submerged trees on river tiles :blink:

Also this is the first time I ever messed around with something like that so don't expect miracles :biggrin:

The textures are made of satelite imagery and are all taken around(this means quite a lot around) Ho-Shi-Min city area. I do not know how much and if they at all match the general look of Vietnam during the war, but this is how it looks like some 30-40 years later :biggrin:

Ok here are the pics so please tell me what do you think, thx.

Scr10.jpg

Scr9.jpg

Scr8.jpg

Scr7.jpg

Scr6.jpg

Scr5.jpg

Scr4.jpg

Scr3.jpg

Scr2.jpg

Scr1.jpg

AWESOME!!! This reminds me to ask another question to anyone. Is there a large city like New York or at least one with skyscrapers available for download anywhere?

I never was in Vietnam... But this looks great!!! Good work! I want IT :clapping:

Edited by kukulino

That looks friggin' hot! Keep up the good work!

Nice one! Like the 1st and 7th pics -nice hamlet in 7th. The sea might be a bit more desaturated i guess.... Overall these have good, deppresive mood

Edit:

Am I wrong, or are those 512x512 at least?

Edited by CA_Stary

looks great!! make me wanna get in an XL and go joy-riding

These look very interesting, Brain. One thing that puzzles me is the gap between my/the popular conception of Vietnam as a wet, lush tropical terrain. I am thinking Apocalypse Now and similar movies in which there are lots of shimmering rice paddies. But when I loon on Google earth at modern Vietnam, it does not look as much like that. Good luck with this project! :good:

Thx for the comments guys, the whole terrain is already painted, maybe just some finishing touch on some tiles.

I already "planted" trees on all tiles but I overdone it and it was a bit to much for my system(some had 600+ trees) so I'm cutting them down at the moment to get more reasonable FPS.

BTW, does anbody know how to fix floating/submerged trees?

Am I wrong, or are those 512x512 at least?

Yes, they are 512x512 :biggrin:

What I think is that you've really created something worth sharing.

A bit of a friendly critique.....the hills (karst ridges) might look a tad more realistic if you had a few rock faces showing through, with a bit of vegatation on them.

Excellent stuff! I've been looking for a good Vietnam terrain replacement, and this looks awesome! And don't be TOO shy on the trees please! ;)

Thx for the comments guys, the whole terrain is already painted, maybe just some finishing touch on some tiles.

BTW, does anbody know how to fix floating/submerged trees?

Yes, they are 512x512 :biggrin:

Brain, don't rush with this beauty, fast release sometimes ain't the best thing. And skip the sarcastic criticism above, you're doing great work here... :ok:

And consider that some here might have use of those 600+ trees per tile... GPU power increases rapidly...

What's an Utter?

"Must be a chicks thing"

Brain32 -

600+ trees is too many per tile, this would be the word from TK himself as I posed a similar question on the same subject to him back when I did the WOV tree mod. It's a matter of polys. One solution would be to go the route of First Eagles and use a mix of X type trees and flat or "Fence" type. This would allow more trees and reduce the poly requirement.

I'm going to guess you have the floating trees in the corners of your shore tiles? If this is the case, it's because after you place trees or any objects in the TE and then save, it adds an extra object at the 0,0 coord. It's a bug. To fix this you just delete the last tree entry when you save after placement, then save again.

Well Taz, all Fubar did was add some advice and you started in being a smart ass. Well now you have crossed the line. You have insulted a mod and my friend and that don't fly here. Until he gets an apology, you are not going to be posting here either.

I thought more of you Taz but now your true colors are showing.

Those Tiles Look Great! It must have taken a ton of work, great Job! :good:

As for the other situation here, All i can say is that while all this crap was going on Fubar was nice enough to help point us in the right direction in the AI Ships thread. <SALUTE> Thanks Man!

Edited by WarlordATF

Wow, many posts since yesterday :biggrin:

First of all, any kind of critique and comments are very welcomed, as the topic title says, this is what I wanted :wink:

Anyway:

These look very interesting, Brain. One thing that puzzles me is the gap between my/the popular conception of Vietnam as a wet, lush tropical terrain. I am thinking Apocalypse Now and similar movies in which there are lots of shimmering rice paddies. But when I loon on Google earth at modern Vietnam, it does not look as much like that.

I know what you mean, this is what bothered me a bit too, but the thing is, when you really zoom in(theese are taken from 1200m) some areas are simply way to low res to look good and I wanted them too look as good as possible when flying on lower alts. Also, some areas are taken in Autmn, some in Spring, you get the picture... :wink:

A bit of a friendly critique.....the hills (karst ridges) might look a tad more realistic if you had a few rock faces showing through, with a bit of vegatation on them.

I thought about it too, they do look a bit dull and un-diversed now, I'll try to do something.

And consider that some here might have use of those 600+ trees per tile... GPU power increases rapidly...

I backed up the *.TOD's with (too)many trees :biggrin::wink:

600+ trees is too many per tile, this would be the word from TK himself as I posed a similar question on the same subject to him back when I did the WOV tree mod. It's a matter of polys. One solution would be to go the route of First Eagles and use a mix of X type trees and flat or "Fence" type. This would allow more trees and reduce the poly requirement.

This sounds good, I didn' even know one can mix those, at 600+ X-types I had like 20fps just flying around with no contacts lol

I'm going to guess you have the floating trees in the corners of your shore tiles? If this is the case, it's because after you place trees or any objects in the TE and then save, it adds an extra object at the 0,0 coord. It's a bug. To fix this you just delete the last tree entry when you save after placement, then save again.

I know for that bug, you mentioned it in your guide, which BTW helped me a lot :good: I have a problem with river tiles, on one I have a few trees that are just levitating 3m above the ground and many of them are underground, they look like bushes and not trees :blink:

honestely i dindt read all of this !

i Just want comment about the Terrain, is very good :)

im not a moder, but i have opinion about it, i think if you change the color of trees in the montains more light green. Have a way to out more trees in the ground, like make a real florest? Like IL-2 trees (and put some rocks to, bcause i look some pics of vietnam rock mountains)

thats my opinion, offcours it will give you more work to do, but thats wat i think.

Brain,

I have a few snaps taken by my older brother when he was there, in '69 and '70. Now, he was in Chu Lai, so that would only be representative of what the area just inland of the coast would have looked like back then. Here's the scan:

vetnam19703nv.jpg

Just another compliment. The terrain looks great! I too have been toying with different tiles to make them match up better for my own use (I'm using the Razbam purchased tiles right now). Please keep up the great work, I'll be first in line to download it when it pops up at CA.

Mike Druzolowski

OT, sorry

AWESOME!!! This reminds me to ask another question to anyone. Is there a large city like New York or at least one with skyscrapers available for download anywhere?

AFAIK, there are no skyscraper mods of SF/WOV/WOE. But the EAWEuro terrain does have some nice large cities, such as Berlin or London, painted onto the tiles. Hope this helps.