Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Is this possible?

So far I haven't seen a single thought at even makeing a Tornado F.2 or F.3 Interceptor.

So I want to make a somewhat make shift one for my self. So, Is it possible that by editing the INI of the Tornado GR.1A that you could give it a Foxhunter radar and the ability to carry Skyflash missles?

I believe it's possible. I was planning to do something similar.

FastCargo

There was (is?) a Tornado F.3 over at SimHQ, but for some reason only some people could download it, others would get an error page. (Like me! :sad:) I would've suggested to post a copy here but I think the problem lies with the author. Either he doesn't want it posted here or he can't be contacted.

As a simple matter of ini edits, probably take about an hour. But don't forget the missing sidewinder pylons (also easilty fixed with ini edits), and the body shape itself is too short for F series. I'm sure a skin would be no big deal, provided templaes are made available.

It's doable...it's just a trade off in the visuals.

Wrench

kevin stein

The only physical problem would be that the Skyflash missiles would be attatched to the parallel bomb racks and might overlap each other, but that's not all that big a deal anyways. Plus with the sidewinder issue being sorted in the last few months, all the big issue problems (avionics notwithstanding) are pretty much sorted. It'd be interesting to see a stunted little brother of the F.2/3 take shape! :good:

I have the Tornado F.3. If you want, I can upload it here.

As a simple matter of ini edits, probably take about an hour. But don't forget the missing sidewinder pylons (also easilty fixed with ini edits), and the body shape itself is too short for F series. I'm sure a skin would be no big deal, provided templaes are made available.

It's doable...it's just a trade off in the visuals.

Wrench

kevin stein

Actually, I was wondering about that. From what I can tell (and I'm no expert on the Tornado) the ADF version visually seems to simply have a longer nose. Could we do a Weapons Mod similar to what was done for the A-4 with the avionics hump and 'graft' on a nose?

FastCargo

There's something I'd like to see. I think you should develop it Fast.

Actually, from what I understand about the Tornado F3 model that is out there, is that it wasn't a very good model. Again, from what I've heard thirdhand.

I've seen pictures of it, and from what I can tell, it has some odd proportions.

FastCargo

Was it the F.3 that was buggy as hell, or was that the initial pack of GR.1s/ECRs?

Was it the F.3 that was buggy as hell, or was that the initial pack of GR.1s/ECRs?

well, here's some pics. you decide which one is buggy a hell.

here's the GR.1

post-28461-1191474886_thumb.jpg

Here's the ECR

post-28461-1191474955_thumb.jpg

and here's the F.3

post-28461-1191475593_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see a Torn' intercepter. I hear they're pretty good (or were).

Edited by Rambler 1-1

well, here's some pics. you decide which one is buggy a hell.

No, I meant of the planes released for SFP. Nice pics though! :tongue:

You know, I'm beginning to think this is more and more possible. Check out an experiment I just did:

gallery_12105_43_330089.jpg

Note, no plyons on the underbelly! I simply didn't load anything.

So here's what could work:

Make 3 weapon stations that use the calls (ModelNodeName=) for those pylons. Put them in Weapons Group 7, and give them no mass, and such small restrictions that it's impossible to load ANY weapons on them. That way you can't ever 'show' those plyons.

Eliminate the old centerline stations from the data file.

Make 4 new weapon stations corresponding to the 4 semi-recessed positions of the Skyflash missiles.

Make a new weapon station for the nose. Put it in Weapon Group 8, and adjust the LOADOUT.INI so it's ALWAYS loaded.

Make a new nose...give it no mass...make it a fuel tank lets say. Hey, by doing that, you can make it so that you CAN'T load anything else there...

Finally, build a new skin template.

The real hard parts are making the new nose and skin templates. The ini editing is relatively simple.

Cockpit layout is another story...but even that can be tweaked (maybe making the 'moving map' the main radar screen).

FastCargo

With a lot INI modding and creating something like a weapon to have the visiual look done, it would be possible....

Or just wait for this. :biggrin:

Greets

Florian

What if one of us, SFP1 users, who has the F. version uploads it to this site?

What if one of us, SFP1 users, who has the F. version uploads it to this site?

Well, the issue was, AFAIK, that he didn't want to upload it here. He added it at SimHQ and figured we could get it from there. We'd need his permission to upload it here, so I tried contacting him last October (I think, was a long time ago) and I never got a reply. Otherwise, we'd have uploaded it already!

...or something along those lines. Happenings might have happened since then...

With a lot INI modding and creating something like a weapon to have the visiual look done, it would be possible....

Greets

Florian

I like Florian's idea better...less work for me!

FastCargo

The ADV doesn't have a longer nose per se, rather it's a plug in the fuselage aft of the cockpit that gave more internal volume for fuel.

You'll notice in those pics the IDS/ECR models have the intakes in line with the break between the front and rear cockpits. The ADV however has the intake behind the rear cockpit. That's roughly how big the fuselage plug was.

JM is right - the F3 has a longer fuselage as well as a different nose/radome & of course the underside is also configured with semi recessed missile bays.

Anyone need them I've got a lot of F3 photos as my local RAF base is home to 2 operational F3 squadrons plus the F3 OCU.

JM is right - the F3 has a longer fuselage as well as a different nose/radome & of course the underside is also configured with semi recessed missile bays.

Anyone need them I've got a lot of F3 photos as my local RAF base is home to 2 operational F3 squadrons plus the F3 OCU.

You live near Leuchars? Damn! I've been there before. Saw 111 Squadron doing lots of manuvers.

I wouldn't say "near" as it's 80 miles away but it is my "local" RAF base.

Kinloss/Lossiemouth are a bit further ...

Was at Leuchars about a week ago to see the birds returning home after the base was shut for a few months for runway renewal/upgrade (Typhoons supposed to be arriving next year but I suspect that the Saudi order may delay Leuchars getting theirs).

Greets

Florian

And with FC's new ALARMs we could have the Tornado EF Mk 3 also.

I cant wait until the Tornado F3 is released! I think it's the better looking of the Tornado series! :yes: