Sign in to follow this  
allenjb42

Gents, I think we have sighting of the new game...

Returning to the Wings Over Israel wish list...

My 50 cents:

1.Ejection animation -there are opinion they are not important. My bet is -they are important. Hitting enemy plane and seeing pilot ejecting gives you stronger taste of victory. But I would be against the possibility to shoot the chute (like in IL2).

2.As for terrains -I can live with them, but higher res and more tile variety would be nice after 6 years of development. And the ability to define and place true (with collisions box and structural properties) 3D object in the .tod file in TE

3. Callsign listing. No more dropping s**t hearing "SAM launch", shout by a guy 100 miles ahead

4.And finally, thing I simply want! above all -the ability to target not mission related buildings/structures, not only AAA/vehicles -and to give the "Attack my target" order not only to my wingman but whole flight (and whole formation bombing runs).

3. Callsign listing. No more dropping s**t hearing "SAM launch", shout by a guy 100 miles ahead

If you ask me this is a MUST, and i don't thinks it's that hard to do.

There's a mod here that does it :good:

Ejections TK is very opposed to, can't understand why because its a pretty simple thing. The canopy already comes off when the plane is destroyed or the pilot ejects, and IIRC the seat and pilot are a different LOD file. It can't be hard to script those two parts to shoot up on the Y axis and have a rocket like effect on the bottom when the plane is destroyed but the pilot wasn't killed. It's not only satisfaction, its usefull to see if your wingman survived getting hit, and its simply a matter of making the game look more polished (one of the criticisms of WOE I read in PC gamer when they reviewed it)

There's a mod here that does it

I know, I have it, but still woudl like it if it would say "wolfpack one, sam launch" instead of "one, sam launch", so i can know it's me, not tuna one(btw is there a way to make it do that).

Edited by Wolf65

1.Ejection animation -there are opinion they are not important. My bet is -they are important. Hitting enemy plane and seeing pilot ejecting gives you stronger taste of victory. But I would be against the possibility to shoot the chute (like in IL2).

That is pure eye candy and after its done about a dozen times you do not pay attention to it anymore. It does not and never will ever affect the playability of sim. There is many many other things that need to be added to a sim than whether you can see yourself punch out or not. Its totally useless in the overall grand scheme of things. I would rather have better working avionics, or a mission editor than TK waste his time on ejection animations. And no one will ever convince me otherwise.

There's a mod here that does it :good:

Ejections TK is very opposed to, can't understand why because its a pretty simple thing. The canopy already comes off when the plane is destroyed or the pilot ejects, and IIRC the seat and pilot are a different LOD file. It can't be hard to script those two parts to shoot up on the Y axis and have a rocket like effect on the bottom when the plane is destroyed but the pilot wasn't killed. It's not only satisfaction, its usefull to see if your wingman survived getting hit, and its simply a matter of making the game look more polished (one of the criticisms of WOE I read in PC gamer when they reviewed it)

maybe he have so limited resources that he can't add the ejection sequence?

I would rather have sonic boom if we're talking meaningless eye candy, I can jump/eject in any game(with flying things ofcourse :biggrin: ) but sonic boom with visual effects I saw nowhere.

However I'm also on the; "there are far more important stuff" wagon.

@Deuces, thx to your guide I can map trees without much problem, but with buildings I have a bit trouble with, maybe I just took to big texture with too many buidlings for my first attempt, practice makes perfect though :smile:

I think you're absolutely right bib, but improvement in the tools,TE/WE, couldn't hurt.
TK 's reply to the question on the TE source was that it contains some of the core source that would be found in the game itself.

This is a bit of a shame indeed, as it has always been said that the TE is the tool that has always needed the most work. I think that if would be more user friendly and accessible, the 3rd party terrain involvement with the sim would take off. Improvement with the TE would be great as TK has always said he would support the 3rd party community with the necessary tools.

User friendlyness and additional functionality aren't necessary to make terrain in SF, but are certainly worthwhile to add. The resources to do it are consuming and what keeps him from doing it, but in the long run it saves.

OK guys.

I don't post here very often but this thread is interesting and also important for the community.

Regarding the eye candy issue, i agree with dave that an ejection sequence is purely eye candy and there are many other things to improve like the variety of A/G missions or the ability to start a mission from the hanger , or a mission editor for example.

Since, we're not flying a real A/C or even strapped in a fully sized 3 axis moving millitary simulator , I think that improving the visual elements in the sim helps us computer simmers get into the "mood" and improves the feeling of reality on the screen, that is what this sim is all about after all .No ?

The community does great things to TK's sims , and I think that he relies on community work very much. Just think about WOV and WOE, they included A/C models and ground objects which were allready in use and built by community moders .

OK, TK's F-15A,harrier,A-7,A-6 and other stuff are polished and looking very good but nontheless these addons were allready in use and built by the community.

Wings Over Israel is no exception : we have the superb addons of the Mirage Team the F-16A and the Mirage III .

We have Gepard's Israeli Terrain V2.0 and other mods regarding the middle east.

I don't know if TK wants any help from the community ? But as i said earlier ,the community sure is helping TK.So in my humble opinion he should read this thread and relate to the remarks and requests written here.

This been said , TK's work is remarkable and we all enjoy it very much.

Cheers Guys and keep up the good work.