Sign in to follow this  
Baltika

Burma Air War WIP

Burma Air War, Chapter One: The Fall of Rangoon 1941-42

Early WIP, don't be too harsh. My first "real" attempt at skinning, I'm having fun with all that "DecalLevel=" stuff :yes:

Thanks to Wolf for the Tommy, Edward for the terrain, and Wrench for indulgence and his excellent 112 "Sharkmouth" Sqdn RAF MTO skin, which I am ruthlessly attacking with my big box of blunt crayons :rolleyes:

Adam & Eves

post-16914-1203312000_thumb.jpg

Panda Bears (So cute :wink: Do meet my .50 MGs, have at ye :cool: )

post-16914-1203312145_thumb.jpg

Hell's Angels

post-16914-1203312181_thumb.jpg

Campaign .ini work is mostly done, just writing up all the tedious stuff and shooting some screenies.

Oh, and going cross-eyed staring at pixels half the size of my monitor - only way I can keep the brush straight :crazy:

Toodle-pip for now,

B

Edited by Baltika

another :good: work!

My first "real" attempt at skinning, I'm having fun with all that "DecalLevel=" stuff :yes:

Welcome to my world. :wink:

Amen, brother!!!!

:rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

No apologies for hauling this one up from the vaults :grin:

Progress is being made, just, s l o w l y :wink:

Many thanks to Wrench for his superlative new Tomahawk templates - 90% of what you see here is his. I have just done the decals - a/c numbers, tail numbers and squadron patches - added a few squadron-specific coloured tail bands, and made a new set of kill markings.

@Wrench, thanks again :good: Is there anyone other than your good self I need to credit before I upload these - I'm not sure if the base AVG camo came from Wolf's original Tommy templates?

post-16914-1216346091_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1216346768_thumb.jpg

I've also been messing with your new Hurri template:-

post-16914-1216346832_thumb.jpg

Campaign coming soon. . . :blink::biggrin:

Baltika, there are few propheads waiting for this! :good:

And must I say those are nice decals!

No apologies for hauling this one up from the vaults :grin:

Progress is being made, just, s l o w l y :wink:

Many thanks to Wrench for his superlative new Tomahawk templates - 90% of what you see here is his. I have just done the decals - a/c numbers, tail numbers and squadron patches - added a few squadron-specific coloured tail bands, and made a new set of kill markings.

Nice looking stuff!

You're not the only one who works slowly - I am gradually UV mapping a model of the Nakajima A2N. Are there any aircraft models that you are lacking? I am interested in covering the pre-AVG airwar in China, but there are probably a lot of aircraft that can be used in both periods, such as the Sally or Nell.

I LOVE to see the Nell finally in game!!!

Baltika: yea, the camo pattern is Wolf's original, so he gets credit for all that (and the airplane, too. Of course). Do you have the 'ring-and-bead' gunsight?? I'm not sure, but it might be in the MTO 112 Tommahwak. If not, let me know and I'll shoot you my cockpit ini and tga.

The Burma and China maps were on my list for 'targets enhancements', like those other PTO upgrades. They've been pushed waaaaay back to a corner of the workbench. Working on a 'Modern Korea' right now.

Monty's old Hawk III needs a major FM upgrade, but I don't know that it'll ever get done.

Don't we have a Sally??? Somewhere???

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi Wrench,

Thanks for clearing that up - I will update the readme with a credit to Wolf.

As it happens, I do have your ring and bead gunsight, from your 112 skin (thanks for that one in particular, cheers :biggrin: ) but I took it out of this skin pack before uploading. If you are OK with it, I'll update the skin pack and include your gunsight tga and cockpit ini from there, and while I'm at it I'll consolidate the Killmarkings into the main package.

That will teach me to be too keen to get something uploaded :wink:

Meantime, for those who are keen to try them out, AVG skins & killmarkings now available in Aircraft skins/WW2/P-40 section.

Cheers all :good:

Actually, since you uploaded them, you can do a "update", and combine everything together.

Go into the downloads section, find the skin pak, and look down near the bottom. There should be an "Edit" or "Update" button, or both.

edit: lower right box, "Edit This File"

Or, upload the combined pak, and either you or I can delete the old ones.

Wrench

kevin stein

Just had another thought, whilst finishing off the P-400....

Since Edward's PTO maps use WoV naming, and the actual tiles, has anyone tried putting the "Green Hell" mod into one of the approiate PTO maps???

Might be interesting to see the result. It's something I'm looking at right now. I'll get back to ya'll later with some screenies

and it's looks like the Burma map just moved up to the front of the line....

Wrench

kevin stein

I LOVE to see the Nell finally in game!!!

Monty's old Hawk III needs a major FM upgrade, but I don't know that it'll ever get done.

Don't we have a Sally??? Somewhere???

The Nell is on my wildly optimistic list of "stuff to do someday". If there would be a lot of use for it, I could move it further up towards the top of the stack.

I have started a Hawk II as it was more equivalent to the Nakajima A2N. If possible, I would also like to re-UV map the Hawk III to make larger textures.

By the time the AVG entered combat, the Japanese Navy had mostly withdrawn its air force from China - it went to the Pacific to prepare for Pearl Harbor. Nearly all the Japanese aircraft encountered by the AVG were army aircraft, though I think there was a small contingent of Japanese naval aircraft based around a port city on the Chinese coast. So...the Sally would be a better choice as it was also used in the early stages of the China air war (1938). Also, the Ann and Mary would be good candidates as they entered service about the same time the Sally did.

Until I learn to make retractable landing gear, it would be best to stick with designs with fixed landing gear.

Hawk2-2.jpg

Edited by geezer205

Wrench & geezer,

Great stuff, thanks for the suggestions :good:

Wrench, as I see from your PTO experimental thread, you have sussed out that CA_Stary's green hell works great in Edward's Burma map. The screenies above of AVG and 17 Sqdn RAF are taken using both those mods. There are one or two differences, the main one I have noticed being that CA's mod (with Brain32's Vietnam tileset repaint) has a four-tile background for airfields, while the original terrain has airfields on a single tile, so you get straight edges round some of your airfields. Otherwise, it's great :biggrin:

I'll sort out the skinpack update as soon as time permits.

Geezer - great looking model there, can't wait to fly it :good:

As to "missing" birds, looking at my OOB, I have 45 and 113 Sqdn RAF with Blenheim Mk 1, whereas in fact they were flying Blenheim IVs - but that is not probably worth the effort to change. The Buffalo, Tomahawk and Hurricane are all available, so the Allies are sorted.

On the IJAAF side, I have 31st Sentai under Lt. Col. Hayashu Junji flying Ki-21 as a stand-in for their Ki-30 "Ann" light bombers, and 47th Independent Chutai are flying Ki-45A as a stand-in for their actual Ki-44s. Whether either of those are something you have in contemplation, or whether they would fit into your time-frame, I don't know, but if you are looking for requests, then those two get my vote :biggrin::biggrin::good:

Cheers all,

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

As to "missing" birds, looking at my OOB, I have 45 and 113 Sqdn RAF with Blenheim Mk 1, whereas in fact they were flying Blenheim IVs - but that is not probably worth the effort to change.

On the IJAAF side, I have 31st Sentai under Lt. Col. Hayashu Junji flying Ki-21 as a stand-in for their Ki-30 "Ann" light bombers, and 47th Independent Chutai are flying Ki-45A as a stand-in for their actual Ki-44s. Whether either of those are something you have in contemplation, or whether they would fit into your time-frame, I don't know, but if you are looking for requests, then those two get my vote :biggrin::biggrin::good:

I am delighted and amazed at the work by CA_Stary, Wrench, etc and really look forward to making aircraft for the new theater of operations.

I was contemplating a Ki.30 Ann, but had not considered a Blenheim IV. Both are OK with me as I like them both - the Blenheim IV could be re-skinned and used in many other mods and locations. Also, I did not know that a Sally was already available - I don't get around much - so I was wondering where I could DL the model and look it over?

BTW, if any of these superb terrain makers need food for thought, there was a brief air war between Thailand (Siam back then) and Vichy-controlled Viet Nam in 1941 that used a lot of fascinating aircraft - Curtiss Hawk IIs and IIIs, Potez 540s, etc. In another forum, Wrench brought up the concept of "Wings Over Asia" that would eventually connect together a variety of terrain maps, tree mods, aircraft, etc.

It would be a helluva lot of work, but I really, really, REALLY like the idea. :biggrin:

Edited by geezer205

The Sally (and a host of other WW2 planes -Ki-27, Ki-43, Rata, Luftwaffe, Mustangs, etc) is in Wolf257's "WW2 Planes Pak". There's also an upgrade pak, with 2 new skins and some other goodies by me, in the WW2 Axis Bombers sub-section of the Downloads. In fact, there's a host of tweeks and mods based off his work that I've done over the last few years. In Wolf's pak is also a "Topsy" transport mod of the Sally.

And don't forget ArmourDave's Japanese Plane Pak, that has the A6M2, A6M5, another Oscar (early version), and the Betty. All of these got the "Wrench Touch" for some upgrades too. :wink:

The Dev A-Team has the Blenheim Mk.1, various Hurricance and Spits, Kate, Jill, Judy, Lilly, Dinah, Frank, 2 Tonys (61 & 100), 2 Nicks, Buffalo, Boomerang, Claude, Mitchell B/C/H/J, Havoc, Invader, Warhawk, P-35, P-43 and an long list of other WW2 birds

Bunyap has the already mentioned Peashooter, plus a Wirraway.

There's quite an extensive list of birds for ALL WW2 Theatres

Geezer, I think you'll gonna be spening some time in the downloads section... :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

Geezer, I think you'll gonna be spening some time in the downloads section... :haha:

Yep. :yes: Thanks.

Got some more work done on the Curtiss Hawk II this morning. Next will be the Ki. 30 Ann.

Composite.jpg

Edited by geezer205

Great work :good:

Excellent :biggrin:

Man, looks like I'm going to have to finally break down and add another HDD so I can get back into WWII again. :biggrin: Good stuff guys! :good:

Good Work! :good:

We Chinese sim pilots are looking forward to smash the Jap invaders in these great planes!

The Burma map upgrade is nearly complete, then I'm heading north, into China itself. Thanks to Edward for doing up these PTO/CBI maps!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Great news, Wrench, thanks for your hard work :good:

And I second your vote of thanks to Edward for making his various WW2 maps - I have been spending a lot of time over the South Pacific recently :biggrin:

The Burma map upgrade is nearly complete, then I'm heading north, into China itself. Thanks to Edward for doing up these PTO/CBI maps!!!

Until recently, I had only been familiar with First Eagles, but I just purchased WOE to try out some of these tasty mods. I have also started a series of trucks for the PTO mods that are so inspiring. Shots below are WIP tests on a WW1 airfield I made for FE. The trucks are a bit too complex for a flight sim, but I was wondering if there are situations where trucks of 1500-1800 polys have a use? Airfield scenes where there is a mass of planes waiting to take off? Lemme know. If not, I will simplify them a bit more: 1000-1500 polys.

GroundObjects-1.jpg

GroundObjects-2.jpg

Nice trucks, looking good.

I'm sure we can find a use for them somewhere - strafing them, dropping bombs on them, blowing them up :wink:

Dotted around the airfield would seem fine, even if not fully incorporated as targets of opportunity in Armed Recce missions.

"Terrain objects, scenery" Those truck are perfect Geezer (yes I got the email, just forgot to respond!) Those are actual building in the back, yes? Given a skin they could replace some of the tents are Runway3, or other buildings around the other fields.

Lowpoly or not, given a re-used data ini from the any of the Zils or M35, they'd be showing up in Armed Recon. As long as set to "TRANSPORT"

WRench

kevin stein