Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Southern California Upgrade/Rebuild

Southern California Upgrade/Rebuild

Southern California Terrain (Rebuilt) for SF, WoE & WoV

This semi-fictional terrain represents the Southern California region, along with parts of Nevada, Northern California, Arizona, Baja Mexico and various and sundry parts in between. I use the term 'semi-fictional', as for the most part, the cities and airfields are relatively close to their real life locations, but some fictional target areas have been added for playability. As close as I can, I've tried to match the actual positions of cities, air bases, etc, and used their actual names. Considering that I live in Los Angeles, and have been to a LOT of the places depicted....well, you get the idea. This is a very heavily populated map, a heavily defended map, with all kinds of eye candy, plus LOTS of "Easter Eggs". A repainted version of airfield 3 (the dirt strip) is also included; ala Fubar's version, it's been paved over.

I've designed this to be used in the alternative world of the "Global Sedition" vs the "North American Alliance". It is, however, usable in any era from 1940-2040, with minor changes in the targets and types inis.

It is based on USAFMTL's SCal map from his Top Gun mod from several long years ago.

This package contain just about everything you'll need, from new inis, HFD & TFD, tiles (used by the kind permission of Deuces), LOTS of new fixed terrain objects (destroyed buildings of all flavors)

It has been -almost- completly rebuilt, with the creation of briefing, movement, a completely NEW targets and types ins, and upgrading the data ini to the latest standards. Water effects are active, so Vista users take note...more information for you is below in the Install Instructions. See "Notes for Vista Users".

It is reccomended (read: REQUIRED) that you have Pasko's SAMs and Vehicles Pak installed in your GroundObject folder; either or both the Desert or Euro skinned vehicles, plus any additional vehicles such as Kesselbrut's ZIL truck pak, Infantry paks, Moonjumper's fix for the BM-14-16 (adds working Kytusha rockets) and any other SAMS or AAA, vehicles or whatever strikes your fancy. With such an 'open ended' time frame for use, any and all GroundObjects should be available for use. This includes ships as well. See the "Notes" section for more info.

It has been tested in SF, WoE and WoV. It should work in WoI with the correct cat pointer -- this has NOT been tested or supported.

READ the enclosed readme for fully detailed, step by step install instructions. A large notes sections is supplied for Vista users on the graphics issues, instructions on which cat pointer to use; installation of the included items, which additional, non-supplied item you'll need; plus general and sundry comments by me. A full listing of credits is also included thanking all.

Happy Hunting!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

(the screenie above shows the Palos Verdes Pennisula, with Catalina in the background)

PS: as I said above, there are several MAJOR easter eggs...please post a screenshot if can find them.

Wrench that old campaing, Danger Zone, and TopGun, will they worj on this terrain?

This sounds cool, an area I have actually flown over.

Well, I hope McClellan AFB in Sacto is there, but I shall see, eh?

Looks like a busload of work, thanks all for putting it together!

:good:

Wrench you magnificent b@st@rd, I flew your terrain! Stand by for the Easter egg reports! One tip for the uninitiated though, the socal ini is set up for WOE, you need to remove the // from the correct line if yoou use it in SF so the ini can find the Desert Cat. file. That is of course for those who dont think they need to read the read me or install instructions anymore cause they have been doing this so long that they don't need any help installing a terrain (Who me?!!) :wink:

answer to my question is no, but it is just the matter of revising yuma mcas to yuma ooab

Thus saying Wrench, and appreciating loads the jetfighter lool-alike setup, would it be too much to request an all-american and not destroyed version of the terrain for Topgun and redflag campaigns? :clapping: :clapping:

The world of the Global Sedition has just got a lot more interesting :biggrin:

Thanks very much Wrench, your hard work is appreciated :good:

Now, at long last, I can make my Cool-as-Ice Chopper Surf Chicks of California vs the Nazi Invasion USA campaign mod a reality - if I can only paint a pilot figure looking like a blonde wearing a bikini :wink:

Too cool! I'm going to look for my house in San Diego. :yu:

Thank you very much Wrench.

Canadair: the old campaigns are probably broken, what with the addition of 70 or 80 new target areas

btw, OOAB is "Occupation Army Air Base" I was THIS -><- close to adding The Hexagon....

Spectre: Sacremento, yes, McClellen no (not quite enough room on the valley) Hint: there IS an Easter Egg near Sacrmento

Baltika: Surf Nazi's Must Die!!!

Now rmember guys, the map is very old, and I can't to re-tiling and fixing of some of the major terrain flaws (lack of SD bay, Long Beach/San Pedro coastline shape not right, etc. Some of the GS airfields (High Desert and Edwards) would/should actually be quite untenable, from a defensive standpoint. Some interestering stories could still be told here.

But I think it's pretty damn good!!

Wrench

kevin stein

ps: does anybody remember where "The Global Sedition" actually comes from??? I do..heheheheheheee

Well, I can never pass up a good Easter Egg hunt, so after I got off at midnight-ish, I trotted home and loaded it up.

Took the venerable F-16XL for a jaunt from Miramar, and headed north;

gallery_310_81_196830.jpg

Zipped through the valley and got down low to see some buildings that looked non-standard;

gallery_310_81_64603.jpg

Oh, what is that in front of the building? Easter egg find #1, I believe;

gallery_310_81_64514.jpg

The hunt will continue tomorrow night, as tomorrow morning, oops, in a few hours, I have to go pick up the wife from the airport.

She is jetting in from Sacto, of all places...

Well, I can never pass up a good Easter Egg hunt, so after I got off at midnight-ish, I trotted home and loaded it up.

Oh, what is that in front of the building? Easter egg find #1, I believe;

Please, Don't Blow Capun's HQ or we will stay without those outstanding mods!!!! :haha:

answer to my question is no, but it is just the matter of revising yuma mcas to yuma ooab

Thus saying Wrench, and appreciating loads the jetfighter lool-alike setup, would it be too much to request an all-american and not destroyed version of the terrain for Topgun and redflag campaigns? :clapping: :clapping:

Replying to myself: the campaign works, squadrons in yuma have to be replaced to yuma OOAB

Would it be possible to have a version mericn-only, including parked pllnes too and such and without t destroyed areas? For Topgun and Redflag campaings

It is just data and types ini. Actually I could do it myself, but so little time.

Anyway, anyone interesteds?

Wrench, hmm I guess and overfly of TittyTwister area in Satanica Pandemonium nose art would get a few extra points.. which airplane you suggest for the task?

Edited by Canadair

Wonder if this counts as an Easter egg

It certainly does. As matter of fact, it was the 1st one I created! I just wished I'd had an Aztec pyrmaid to use for it....

REMEMBER not cheating by looking thourgh the targets ini!!!!

WRench

kevin stein

Canadair self quote:

Would it be possible to have a version american-only, including parked airplanes and such and without the destroyed areas? For Topgun and Redflag campaings

I guess you are busy delivering us the DS terrain, and probably are reading through the request, which actually sounds really like a bothering demand...

:dntknw: Sorry, hmmh Well I ll have to peek in the ini if I have to mod myself, and make an all-america Socal

Edit. I am desperately trying to make this post sound good and not a whining demand of stuff.

Edited by Canadair

Hmmm, this sounds like it's the perfect terrain for a Blue vs. Red (Yellow vs. Green, etc) campaign, set around 1940 and with both sides flying Spitfires (I would use them not only because I like them, but also for the reason that I have a template for the Merlin Spitfires...and there's no question that each side would need to have its own skins) :biggrin:

Seriously, this could be interesting, especially since both sides would have the same equipment. Anybody interested?

Edited by Gocad

Hmmm, this sounds like it's the perfect terrain for a Blue vs. Red (Yellow vs. Green, etc) campaign, set around 1940 and with both sides flying Spitfires (I would use them not only because I like them, but also for the reason that I have a template for the Merlin Spitfires...and there's no question that each side would need to have its own skins) :biggrin:

Seriously, this could be interesting, especially since both sides would have the same equipment. Anybody interested?

Hey guys, how about a Chinese invasion of Southern California campaign. Talk about a tall order, whew! They can have LA, but the rest is worth fighting for! Lots of good imaginations running amok in these forums. Wouldn't it be nice to make an imaginary campaign a little closer to reality than the Pink Ladies of Dharma in their decorated-like-no-real-Air-Force slicked up aircraft from NASCAR. Not that I'm picking on those guys, but put to some as-close-as-possible to reality constraints, it could wind up one popular campaign to jump in on. The PRC Air Force war college may want to play.