Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Your Favorite Fish to Eat

I drink Guiness when I'm eating and Almaza (from lebanon) or Saporo or Asahi or Kirin just to wind down after a tough football game.God I love drinking on long bus trips. :biggrin:

I love me some Guiness, but it gives me gas. So I am not aloud to eat broccoli, beans and drink that on the same day. :biggrin:

favorite fish? come on ....i live in Florida :biggrin: only one I would rather not eat is trout... dark and greasy... white fish is better.

As for beer...... Amber bock or Mich light. But it's mute cuz I drink the best rum in the world. Sailor Jerry!!!!

Wow, that's a tough one for me to answer, as I have a lot of species to choose from. I'll name a few, but the order does not imply that I like one over the other.

Dolphin (no, not the mammal), also known as Mahi Mahi or Dorado

Blackfish (Local name for Tautog)

Wahoo

Albacore tuna (best eating of the large tunas)

Blackfin tuna (ranges from Florida to North Carolina, almost as good as albacore)

Bigeye tuna (somewhat tangy)

Yellowfin tuna (somewhat tangy)

Codfish (tough to fillet, great in chowder, etc)

Atlantic Bonito (smaller member of the tuna family)

I am going with Ed on this one, I once had a Dorado in a beach restaurant on the south coast of Portugal, it tasted simply, just... amazing.

Another one I like is seabass cooked in a salt crust with bay leaf and garlic.

I find myself anymore trying to find good beers to pair with my food. Sam Adams is by far the best mass produced US beer. But then you got all these little breweries that no ones hear about that some beer that are better than some of the European beers I have had. Greak Lakes Brewery comes to mind.

Things like Miller Lite, Budweiser etc etc are just not beer IMHO. The sad truth is though, most places you go out to in America has those on tap and not much else. That is why Europe kicks ass in beer production. Good beer all the time on tap.

Just about every bar/restaurant I go to here in NH has at least a couple of micro-brews on tap, and Sam Adams is considered a must-have nearly everywhere. We've got a lot of local brewers around so I think we've been luckier than most in having a good selection on tap.

We have a Budweiser brewery here in Merrimack, NH. You'd think that wouldn't be good for the little guys, but it turns out it's just the opposite. All of these tiny little brewers contract with Bud and make use of their disribution system so they can get their stuff out there without having to invest in their own system. At least that's what I've been told.

As to the fish question; I can never turn down a perfectly grilled Tuna steak or salmon fillet.

No debate there...but....just for giggles...take her to an Applebees or Capt D's in OKC there...you will be afraid... :bad:

I landed in a hospital with severe food poisoning from an Applebees...seems they failed to maintain correct temperatures...the ER doc told me he had seen so many cases of Salmonella poisoning lately it was scary...dont order the chicken either (I didnt have Salmonella, rather the cheese sauce was spoiled...nice! and totally preventable).

I have dined in some rather suspect places in Thailand and eaten food that was not ready to give up yet...no illness...it all boils down to food preparation and cleanliness...

Dont get me wrong, fish can be dangerous and NEVER eat fish that you can smell...kind of like something else... :biggrin:

Used to live in Memphis...ask C5 about the Hepatitis rate from the restaurants there...it boils down to improper procedure and very poor hygiene of the "staff"...never figured out why people love to eat out so much in the States...saw this article on restaurant pricing...like Olive Garden charges $11.99 for a pasta salad that would only cost less than $0.78 if you made it yourself and that aint an award winning chef from Rome plying his trade back there...my ex was a drug/alcohol abuse counselor...only businesses that would routinely hire her clients were the chains (red lobster, applebees, outback)...not saying that there is anything wrong with those people, but who do you think cares more about the cleanliness and attention to food preparation details for your family? And dont think management cares either...

When I was in Sierra Vista, the CDC came to town due to high number of food related illnesses...didnt know they were involved in such things...before they left, nearly every restaurant in town had lost both management and staff members for gross...GROSS...violations. They went to one of the hotel restaurants and pulled every single chicken dish off the shelf...2/5 were contaminated...

Also, used to work for CCE (Coca Cola) and had to service the beverage dispensers as well as deliver supplies...meaning spending time in the back rooms and food preparation areas...HORRIFYING! Actually saw some one's underwear lying on a rack of cooked buns...guess they thought it was funny...it was disgusting...oh and beetles living in the soda fountain at an KFC...they are supposed to clean those things every single night to include bleaching the spigots...yeah if a few water beetles can take up residence what do you think?

So, dont be like "oh, sushi is scary"...it can be, but then that burger could be carrying hepatitis...

I tried sushi and I can leave it. Can't wrap myself around the raw part. Wife is a food inspector and she showed me the bad side of sushi. After that I will now never eat it again. My sister in law was a sushi fanatic until Sheila showed her too. Now she won't touch it.

I make some mean grilled tuna steaks with a chiploti BBQ sauce.

Good points sparky all around but I still can't get passed the raw part. I have tried it though. I will try any food once or twice. I like to speak from experience when it comes to food instead people who don't like something but never tried it.

Good points sparky all around but I still can't get passed the raw part. I have tried it though. I will try any food once or twice. I like to speak from experience when it comes to food instead people who don't like something but never tried it.

Well, nobody likes raw fish at first. It's an acquired taste, much like forums. :biggrin: Plus, not all Sushi is raw. What you could do is go to your local Meijer (do they have those around there?) and pick up a nine-pack of california rolls, mix some wasabi with some soy sauce, and you're ready to go. Sure, the only meat may be imitation crabmeat from soy, and sure, it comes from a plastic box, but I've never gotten sick and it's damn good.

I usually get California rolls. With the imitation crab in it. My goal is to go to Japan and get some real local sushi to see how it goes from there.

Guest pfunkmusik
I usually get California rolls. With the imitation crab in it. My goal is to go to Japan and get some real local sushi to see how it goes from there.

All this talk and I decided to go get a six-pack of Shiner...

pfunk

Oh well then. Open mouth, insert foot. :grin:

Yeah, local stuff of pretty much anything is the best. For instance, if you see any place outside of Philadelphia, PA offering a Philly Cheese Steak, don't bother.

All this talk and I decided to go get a six-pack of Shiner...

pfunk

Find some Sam Adams Irish Red and tell me what you think.

Guest pfunkmusik
Find some Sam Adams Irish Red and tell me what you think.

My school year ends in five weeks. Sounds like something I can celebrate with.

pfunk

Glad I just finished up my series of Hepatitis shots (to go with typhoid, yellow fever, 4 anthrax, small pox booster, tetanus, etc). :)

My survival school instructors told me to never, repeat never, eat anything that you didn't cook. You can have sushi. My taste in beer is limited to COLD beer. My taste in fish is deep fried. I do dearly love British fish and chips. Grease-low-level light goes out for a week.

Grease-low-level light goes out for a week.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well what I would like to do is head over to the Sacramento delta grab a sturgeon or two, zip down to Bakersfield cali get a keg of Lengthwise beer and have a feast, but hey that is just me......

but knowing me i would probably get some out dated beer(from work) "insert free"..... head over to Micky Dee's and order 8 fillet o fishes and sit in front of the boob tube thinkin about the other plan

Edited by colmack

Northern Slope Cutthroat! Which I go out just about everyday and catch.post-24696-1208662348_thumb.jpg

Northern Slope Cutthroat! Which I go out just about everyday and catch.

Beautiful. :ok:

Edited by Longestpants

Where do you catch that fish at?

"Out of the water" :biggrin: Just an old fishermans joke we say around here,we dont like to give are secret holes away.lets just say its somewhere in the panhandle of Idaho.

Growing up in Michigan, my favorite was always the smoked salmon....beer=BASS Ale....lol

Growing up in Michigan, my favorite was always the smoked salmon....beer=BASS Ale....lol

Made in a bassamatic?

Nice cut gumpy. We got a nearby hole here too up high with some of those babies and me waitin for ice out...

Jug, Im with you pal. My wife is Canadian and her folks are English. Ive been introduced to a proper fish and chips. Gives me heartburn for a week with all the oil but MAN, is it good!