Just maximize your perspective window with alt+w and then use that to select your faces for mapping, just in case you're doing it from the unwrap window.

Forunately I have a dual monitor setup so I leave the perspective maxed in the left monitor and the UVW editor in the right. :biggrin:

It's really lookin' awesome, Grinch, bet it'll be a real thoroughbred!

Keep at it, mate! Another lil' dream of mine comin' true! Thanks!

Is there anything I could do to help? Just let me know!

And thanks FastCargo for your tips and kind support!

Cheers!

hide

Julhelm....how would you map this?...I mapped it mostly planar...top and bottom ...no problem....only part that caused me headach was nose area where the sides slope\curve...planar is ok using poly groups....but getting them to join in the textures a lot of work...cyl wrapping is my stumbling point in max...unless the a\c has a tube shape fuselage...ie...su 9 fishpot...thats easy....

su16.jpg

heres the mapping

16map.jpg

You can detach the nose part along a panel line and map it in a more efficient manner, such as pure top/bottom.

Um, anybody know how to have multiple objects in the UVW Editor at once? Like if I wanted the wings, nose, control surfaces, etc. all on the same bitmap.

EDIT: Before I forget, does the canopy glass need to be a seperate object from the canopy frame?

Edited by GrinchWSLG

Um, anybody know how to have multiple objects in the UVW Editor at once? Like if I wanted the wings, nose, control surfaces, etc. all on the same bitmap.

EDIT: Before I forget, does the canopy glass need to be a seperate object from the canopy frame?

1) I don't know if that's possible. I don't think it is.

2) As far as I know yes. It's because you have to assign a transparancy value to the glass of something other than 100 which affects the whole mesh. However, I'm curious what would happen if you used a TGA file on that mesh with parts of it that are solid colored....I haven't tried such a thing. I've seen it done before, but I don't think I've ever seen it done to make a canopy frame 'solid' while keeping the glass clear...

FastCargo

2) As far as I know yes. It's because you have to assign a transparancy value to the glass of something other than 100 which affects the whole mesh. However, I'm curious what would happen if you used a TGA file on that mesh with parts of it that are solid colored....I haven't tried such a thing. I've seen it done before, but I don't think I've ever seen it done to make a canopy frame 'solid' while keeping the glass clear...

FastCargo

Thats what I was thinking about doing since I've gotten pretty good at messing around with TGA's while making decals. I'll experiment with it.

Don't do that, because the canopyframe will look pixelated and ugly as f*** unless you're using some ridiculous texture resolution like 4096^2 in which case you need to be drawn, quarted and shot. If we're using visual quality as a median, you'll actually save processing power with adding those polys to the canopyframe compared to doing a big tga which looks as good.

Don't do that, because the canopyframe will look pixelated and ugly as f*** unless you're using some ridiculous texture resolution like 4096^2 in which case you need to be drawn, quarted and shot. If we're using visual quality as a median, you'll actually save processing power with adding those polys to the canopyframe compared to doing a big tga which looks as good.

Well, I tried it with a 512x512 TGA and it didn't look bad. I'm going to make the glass seperate anyway to make texturing easier though. You didn't happen to know a way to have multiple objects in the UVW Editor did you Julhelm?

No. AFAIK you have to group everything together as one.

I think triple racks for AMRAAMs on the wings would be a good idea for the armament, leaving most of the fuselage hardpoints open from ground attack munitions. Four triple racks of AIM-120s was a possible loadout on the VF-0 Phoenix after all.

I think triple racks for AMRAAMs on the wings would be a good idea for the armament, leaving most of the fuselage hardpoints open from ground attack munitions. Four triple racks of AIM-120s was a possible loadout on the VF-0 Phoenix after all.

Thats the way I'm leaning. Like I said before though, armaments will have to wait till I start experimenting. I'll probably get to it shortly after texturing, since the cockpit is going to take a while.

As far as updates, the fuslage is all unwrapped and has the roughest of rough textures on it. That accounts for half the aircraft texturing in itself (which is why it got its own bitmap). The rest is almost done with mapping, all thats left is the forward fuslage, cockpit, and canopy frame.

External Textures are done for the most part, I hope.

post-10543-1210199565_thumb.jpg

post-10543-1210199576_thumb.jpg

Still need to do some insides and lots of detail work. Plus weathering.

Tell me what you think.

EDIT: Okay, new screens with better graphic settings. Didn't realize this install wasn't setup with my video card.

Edited by GrinchWSLG

Damn dude. You work fast! That's some nice stuff there.

FastCargo

Mein Gott...

absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

GO GO GO Grinch!

Wow! and is that your first model?

I'm very impressed!

i'm not a fan of Robotech Aircrafts, but your's looks awesome, sure i will D/L it when you release!

Congrats!

Definitely Beautiful, any chance of a PSD when released?

Drop-dead gorgeous!!!!

Thanks

Damn dude. You work fast! That's some nice stuff there.

FastCargo

The unfortunate advantage of the FAA's snail pace hiring process is I have plenty of free time. Thanks.

Mein Gott...

absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

GO GO GO Grinch!

Ha, thank you.

Wow! and is that your first model?

I'm very impressed!

i'm not a fan of Robotech Aircrafts, but your's looks awesome, sure i will D/L it when you release!

Congrats!

Well, first completed model, certainly the first time I ever UVW mapped and textured from scratch, can't believe how much work goes into this process.

Definitely Beautiful, any chance of a PSD when released?

I'll do my best to make my template into something a sane person can use, I'd love to see what kind of schemes others can come up with. When this is released (which won't be for a while yet) I'll include both the Alpha One demonstrator scheme as pictured, and probably a generic USAF based grey military skin.

Like SilverBolt said, not a RoboTech fan, nor do I know squat about it, but that is a fine looking jet!

Would very much like to see a USAF skinned one, maybe on the Raptor theme. Sorta, ya know?

As to weapons, any idea on mounting, or is it all internal in RT land?

Like SilverBolt said, not a RoboTech fan, nor do I know squat about it, but that is a fine looking jet!

Would very much like to see a USAF skinned one, maybe on the Raptor theme. Sorta, ya know?

As to weapons, any idea on mounting, or is it all internal in RT land?

Well, in Macross they seem to puke missiles out of every crack and seam, but this model is all external stores. There really isn't much room interior wise anyway. As far as mounting goes, the concept as it exists in my head is:

1 center hardpoint between the engines for gun pods

2 hardpoints on either side of the gun pod for heavy ground weapons

1 hardpoint under each wing root

1 hard point (at least) on each wing

I'll start playing around with weapons once I get the cockpit done. The internal guns are set up, I just need to look through the gun editor for something more appropriate then the M61A1.