Sign in to follow this  
Syrinx

Operation Chastise

As I write this it's 23:35 hrs local time in the UK, at about this time sixty-five years ago the first wave of Lancasters from 617 Sqn RAF were carrying out Operation Chastise, the famous Dams raid.

Would just like to remind everyone what superb airmanship, bravery and courage was shown by these 617 Sqn crews. 56 men were lost on this raid alone, carried out by 19 specially modified Lancasters.

Most aviation enthusiasts know the story, so I won't go into that here, suffice to say it was a major event during WW2.

My respect and thanks to those men of 617 Sqn who were involved in that raid, from the humble but invaluable "erk" to those at the top. Also to anyone who has or is serving with 617 Sqn, my regards.

Well said that girl - some good coverage on the BBC today also.

Excellent stuff!!! You could hear the whistle of the Merlins as the Lanc went past...never tire of hearing that sound.

and thank God! A reporter with a clue!!

Looks like I'd better order the DVD....

thanks for sharing it!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Very brave men indeed! :clapping::good: To be on a Allied Bomber crew during the early to middle stages of WWII took tremendous fortitude!

I had the pleasure of walking across the EderSee Damn back in 2004 during a TDY to the area. Although it was day time, I could still imagine the sound when the Lancs roared over top after dropping their bombs.

Storm

Here's a couple of shot, fresh off the aviation pictures newsgroup....

7894-w.jpg

7903-w.jpg

With thanks to the poster over there!!

WRench

kevin stein

Some nice shots there thanks

Found this vid also taken from inside the Lancaster as its flying over the dams - think the windloop file needs to be changed :)

Damn, the picture of the Lanc' is utterly cool! Those were really brave man, and one of the greatest raid in history.

I've heard many times that Georges Lucas used this for the Death Star raid at the end of the first Star Wars.

I've heard many times that Georges Lucas used this for the Death Star raid at the end of the first Star Wars.

That's true.

There's a clip on youtube somewhere, the audio from the Star Wars raid overlaid onto footage from the 1953 Dambusters film. Absolutely classic...no doubt old Lucas got his inspiration from that. Some of it is almost word for word when you watch the original film too.

Great stuff.

Here:

Ah yeah, indeed! That's pure genius, and that makes me remember that I still haven't seen the original movie. Have you heard that Peter Jackson may be working on a remake of it?

They were brave men those Lanchester staff.

Real heroes.

Its great you brought that story up Nikki ma'am.

I love it!!! :good:

Edited by Mannie

great photos Wrench!

great photos Wrench!
Now that is some really great stuff those Lancs look great! Not to mention the awesome Tornados! :good::clapping: