Looks like there's some interest in the Tornado lately, so I think it's time to show what I've been working on in the last weeks.

post-15328-1219391440_thumb.jpg post-15328-1219391479_thumb.jpg post-15328-1219391504_thumb.jpg

The external model is done and so is UV mapping. The data.ini is still in the early stages (needs a lot more work) and I'll start the pit soon.

looks nice bobrock!

that plane is really missing...

It's very lovely! :biggrin:

Good job!Think you .I know lots of people are waitting it..

Edited by IAFmars

well done...good work

and...yes, there is a lot of people waiting for it including me!!! jajaja!!!

its a "must" for my mentally started Malvinas/Falklands 1992/2002

keep up the good work!!!

Looks like there's some interest in the Tornado lately, so I think it's time to show what I've been working on in the last weeks.

The external model is done and so is UV mapping. The data.ini is still in the early stages (needs a lot more work) and I'll start the pit soon.

Sweet, bobrock. Looking forward to this baby.

Great work Bob :smile: Rock (Alan Ford comics character?)

Geez bob, I might have to put down the AV-8B+ to fly this baby! Awesome work!

Vamp

same name, different era....telepathy?

the vacation is over, the ID(io)TS are back!!!!

You rock, Bob rock!

In its F.3 version the Tornado is ever so sleek but possibly the worst POS we've ever asked our (RAF) guys to fly.

Awesome news Bob. Really looking forward to take her for a flight.

In its F.3 version the Tornado is ever so sleek but possibly the worst POS we've ever asked our (RAF) guys to fly.

Um no, nowhere near the worst, that prize goes without doubt to the Supermarine Swift.

I really need to stop looking at this thread lol.I'm becoming obssesed

Edited by whiteknight06604

Um no, nowhere near the worst, that prize goes without doubt to the Supermarine Swift.

Good shout JB and even the Hunters of that era (mid-50's) were in a bit of a state.

Anyway, the Tornado F.3 will be a great addition to the SF family and we can always convert it into a Strike aircraft.

Think they would have taken the F2/3 over any Lightning in the 1980s despite the latters performance - its mission was to CAP miles off the coast of England waiting for Russian bombers and I there isnt much that could beat it for range. - The Lightning had poor range and very poor weps load (and was single seat) - over the F-4 it also had an internal gun and was a bit faster and needed to work in a high ECM environment.

figures on Internal Fuel I have:

Lightning FMk6 ~1290km

Phantom F-4D ~1500km

Eagle F-15C ~3000km

Tornado F.2 ~3600km

Not sure on its dogfighting ability - cant have been that bad though surely.

btw Pretty sure it can carry 4 x 2250 litre drop tanks too

For the UK air defence role intercepting Badgers, Bears and Bisons it was a reasonable platform but it's origins are with the bean-counters and RAF pilots have been less than complimentary about it from the 'Blue Circle' fiasco right through to the current day. And wasn't it deliberately 'kept back' during the Gulf Wars?

Not sure on its dogfighting ability - cant have been that bad though surely.

Yup! The high wing loading which was great for the GR at low level means it turns like a dog. Obviously versus a Bear it wouldn't have been a problem but against a MiG-29/F-16 it was apparently like taking a bus up against a Porsche! My one time F.3 pilot mate has also confirmed it was f*** all use above 30 odd thousand feet, again because it was originally designed as a low level bomber, bit embarrassing when the tankers have to descend to your level!

Edited by SkippyBing

I think a lot of faith was put into the F3's stand-off capability.

Skippy's right, I wouldn't want to dogfight in one.

Fank gawd for the Typhoon. :good:

Pity the Lightning had such short legs, if she'd hung around a few years more some wag might have come up with a new-improved stealthy Lightning. Wow.

The English-Electric Super Lightning F1...modders the challenge has been issued, lol !

Pity the Lightning had such short legs, if she'd hung around a few years more some wag might have come up with a new-improved stealthy Lightning.

SuperLightning1.jpg

SuperLightning2.jpg

Not stealthy I admit but I did this model a few years ago using a 1/72 scale Lightning F.6 fuselage with 1/48 scale MiG-21 wings! My backstory had additional fuel as a feeble excuse for creating this 'Frankenfighter'.

Back to the Tornado F.3 I've enjoyed the books by Ian Black (Last of the Lightnings and Last of the Phantoms) who flew all three types in the 80's and he was less than impressed with the Tornado F.3. As for me, I just love the rakish looks of it and wasn't it potentially the fastest aircraft at low-level? Perhaps the RAF should have done a 'Project Sageburner' with it!

http://tailhookdaily.typepad.com/tailhook_...tdeck-fr-2.html

Fine "patrol" interceptor for Bear-, Backfire-, Blinder-, Badger- hunting far out over the sea , good range and armament and that's that. No golden wonder candoeverything allround fighter....

Did good service and helped to win the Cold War (are we heading for a new chapter in that ??)

Aju,

Derk :smile:

A couple of shots with the progress so far.

Thrust reversers fitted

post-15328-1220516699_thumb.jpg

And the first in game shot of the pit

post-15328-1220516799_thumb.jpg

Well, right know it's a Rio Carnival Tornado :D, Hitm4n, but it'll be released with RAF and AMI skins

Walla that looks cool! cant wait to clean up the skies with that!