Sign in to follow this  
Hawk MMS

Stargate: Atlantis Cancelled?

I heard its being cancelled and will be finished off with movies like SG1.

As much as I love the show (and SG-1 as well), I'm not surprised. Given the cost to make it and the plot lines kinda degenerating...

Also, am I the only one that want to shoot Dr. Rodney McKay in the foot??? He's been getting sooooo much more annoying these last 2 seasons.....

They should start writing in the line from SF:TNG (paraphrased here, of course)

"Rodney, SHUT UP!"

Wrench

kevin stein

I prefered SG-1. Watched it from the start. When i watch Atlantis I feel I am just watching to watch. i don't look forward to it.

Shoot...Yes

Foot...No

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

ah well. It has been entertaining.

as wrench said, thats no surprise...

I really like all Stargate-Series.

i think one of the reasons may be that Atlantis is not so popular as SG1 (my Favorite too) is...

SG-1 finished quite nicely at the end of season 8.....and then the wrung the life out of it with those last two appalling seasons. Atlantis was good for the first 3 or so seasons, but yeah, last two has been to watch just to watch. And you can only take so much of McKay until you start cheering for the other team to take him down. It's been pretty much to formula lately.

Where to from here though?

Where to from here though?

to where no one has gone before!!!

sorry.......................

to where no one has gone before!!!

sorry.......................

DON'T even get me started on ST:Enterprise!!!

There were only 2 really good things on the show, and they were on Jolene Blalock!!!!

yuuummmm!!

Wrench

kevin stein

I like Sci-fi but after the Babylon 5 five-year story arc, nothing else comes close for me. Tried to like Stargate, I thought the whole premise of the story from original film to series was good but I've never really been able to get into it.

Too many spin off's these days...just a money making racket IMO. Don't suppose you can blame the studio execs really, they like to ring every last cent out of a franchise.

BSG however, has been most excellent. Anyone remember a series called Space: Above and Beyond. I really liked that one, used to be on late night here in the UK. Never seen it released on DVD though ?

I enjoyed SG1 but never got into Atlantis. The proliferation of mediocre Sci-Fi over the past 10 years makes me glad that I have all seven seasons of Deep Space Nine on DVD. That series had it all--great characterization, great stories, engaging long-term arcs, etc.

I'm with you FlyGrrl! What shat me about the Sci Fi genre was the general inability to break out of the formulaic thinking behind series development (ie a new story each week) that had been started waaaaay back with the TOS of Star Trek (although it was new at the time). Rarely anyone would try anything new which is why Star Trek went downhill fast IMO as there was almost no originality or fresh themes after the next gen. JMS used an evolving storyline that allowed you to get suckered in without realising it. And it also helped that they didn't suffer from the crappy clichéd dialogue and behaviour of its characters like in the later series of Trek. At least SG1 didn't suffer from that a whole lot!

I remember space above and beyond...used to love that show...i think i saw it once on dvd...not for a while now

I like Sci-fi but after the Babylon 5 five-year story arc, nothing else comes close for me.

B5 was the Bomb. I have never been more intrigued with a Sci-Fi since. I think they did 10x more then BSG ever did, and I lost interest in BSG after season 2.....not that it wasn't a good series...I just completely lost interest.

The great thing about B5 was, as you say, Saywhat!? (no pun intended) the way JMS stuck to his guns about the storyline needing the full five years to unfold properly.

Ok, there were the odd crappy episodes, the ones you feel were just there to fill the airtime. Very few and far between though.

Must admit I love just about everything to do with that show, the tech, the fashion (I'd kill to wear an Earthforce uniform, lol) and the way that the writing made you care about the characters. Top notch acting too, Andreas Katsulas was simply amazing as G'Kar and Peter Jurasik as Londo for me made the show.

Loved Walter Koenig as Bester and I always thought that Morden was a great character. Smarmy yet creepy. I liked Lord Refa too (William Forward) great that he too did the pseudo-slavic Centauri accent.

In Valen's name, I'm going on too much and everyone has their favourites but B5 was (is) the greatest.

My 5p worth.

[

There were only 2 really good things on the show, and they were on Jolene Blalock!!!!

yuuummmm!!

Wrench

kevin stein

you are so right... :biggrin:

80_Jolene_Blalock_freecomputer_desktopwallpaper_s.jpg

S:A&B is available on DVD in the US, not sure about elsewhere.

SGA will be replaced by the just-announced Stargate Universe, with a new cast and crew that can be paid less to satisfy SFC's "cheap bastard" needs. No series has ever lasted more than 5 years on SFC and none ever will because casts get paid more with time and they don't want to have to pay. They're more interested in their lame F-flick (they don't even qualify as good as B) of the week like Mansquito, SS Doomtrooper, Flu Bird Horror, or the single most awful remake of War of the Worlds to ever be shot on film with C Thomas Howell practically begging for a real job like making a Burger King commercial.

B5 is my favorite SF series of all time, followed by the new BSG. The old ST was great for its day and what it was, but it certainly created the cliches we now see and deplore in other series. I think I liked DS9 best of the spinoffs, especially after Worf joined the cast, followed closely by the last half of TNG's run. Voyager was just meh, and Enterprise was good it's last season and ok the season before that, but the first 2 were lame.

I'm currently rewatching B5 for the 4th time (on the final season) and DS9 for the 2nd (just finishing the 4th season). Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis have definitely been more about the characters than the plot--if you don't care about them, the rest is just window dressing.

There was also Farscape, which at times could be the most baffling SF show you ever watched. It was like the shows had a good 10 mins cut out of them that helped explain WTF was going on sometimes.

Oh, Tennant's Dr Who run has been enjoyable as well most of the time.

S:A&B is available on DVD in the US, not sure about elsewhere.

SGA will be replaced by the just-announced Stargate Universe, with a new cast and crew that can be paid less to satisfy SFC's "cheap bastard" needs. No series has ever lasted more than 5 years on SFC and none ever will because casts get paid more with time and they don't want to have to pay. They're more interested in their lame F-flick (they don't even qualify as good as B) of the week like Mansquito, SS Doomtrooper, Flu Bird Horror, or the single most awful remake of War of the Worlds to ever be shot on film with C Thomas Howell practically begging for a real job like making a Burger King commercial.

B5 is my favorite SF series of all time, followed by the new BSG. The old ST was great for its day and what it was, but it certainly created the cliches we now see and deplore in other series. I think I liked DS9 best of the spinoffs, especially after Worf joined the cast, followed closely by the last half of TNG's run. Voyager was just meh, and Enterprise was good it's last season and ok the season before that, but the first 2 were lame.

I'm currently rewatching B5 for the 4th time (on the final season) and DS9 for the 2nd (just finishing the 4th season). Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis have definitely been more about the characters than the plot--if you don't care about them, the rest is just window dressing.

There was also Farscape, which at times could be the most baffling SF show you ever watched. It was like the shows had a good 10 mins cut out of them that helped explain WTF was going on sometimes.

Oh, Tennant's Dr Who run has been enjoyable as well most of the time.

I've liked them all. Each had its own emphasis and story line and each has had its weaknesses as well. But all great in their own way.

I'd like to see a movie that incorporated a little bit from each......

I've liked them all. Each had its own emphasis and story line and each has had its weaknesses as well. But all great in their own way.

I'd like to see a movie that incorporated a little bit from each......

Doctor Stargate versus the Vorlons from Vulcan ??

"And so it begins."

Yes, you'd have to be a little more specific than that. Did you mean the ST series? The SG series?

I mean, you can't get much different than the original ST and B5. Or Dr Who and S:A&B. Not just premises but tone, characters, scope, etc. Taking a "little bit from each" of all of those would likely leave you feeling like you watched just that--a mishmosh. If you want to see what that gets you in the comedy world, watch something like Epic Movie, just bouncing all over the place leaving you with a big empty feeling!

The great thing about B5 was, as you say, Saywhat!? (no pun intended) the way JMS stuck to his guns about the storyline needing the full five years to unfold properly.

Ok, there were the odd crappy episodes, the ones you feel were just there to fill the airtime. Very few and far between though.

Must admit I love just about everything to do with that show, the tech, the fashion (I'd kill to wear an Earthforce uniform, lol) and the way that the writing made you care about the characters. Top notch acting too, Andreas Katsulas was simply amazing as G'Kar and Peter Jurasik as Londo for me made the show.

Loved Walter Koenig as Bester and I always thought that Morden was a great character. Smarmy yet creepy. I liked Lord Refa too (William Forward) great that he too did the pseudo-slavic Centauri accent.

In Valen's name, I'm going on too much and everyone has their favourites but B5 was (is) the greatest.

My 5p worth.

Definitely, great memories! Isn't it more than ten years ago? I really have to watch it again...

Whe it comes to newer series, Firefly was great - but much too short!

I was a fan of the Hammerheads in Space Above and Beyond and imported the series on DVD from America when it was first released as it was never officially released here in the UK.

What about Crusade that had potential but only lasted a single series as it suffered from the curse of Gary Cole who I believe hasn't managed yet to headline a series thats managed to go more than a single series, American Gothic, Wanted and Crusade to name but a few!

Lazboy

Doctor Stargate versus the Vorlons from Vulcan ??

:rofl:

Firefly and Crusade both lasted a half season, with just over a dozen episodes a piece. Unlike Firefly, though, which was doomed by poor ratings, Crusade was DOA thanks to TNT. One of the rare shows to be cancelled BEFORE the first episode aired. Stupid focus groups/marketers.

Firefly and Crusade both lasted a half season, with just over a dozen episodes a piece. Unlike Firefly, though, which was doomed by poor ratings, Crusade was DOA thanks to TNT. One of the rare shows to be cancelled BEFORE the first episode aired. Stupid focus groups/marketers.

If you take a look at FOX' policy with Firefly you understand the bad rating...

...a series trying to tell a story has to fail if you air it in a random order...

It's not the only problem. Another is "instant ratings." A decade or more in the past, ratings were taken during "sweeps", which was basically 2 months a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. Many series were given their first season to prove themselves. Now shows can be cancelled in the blink of an eye because the ratings aren't good, even if the show is just starting to find its audience and get going.

Firefly had 2 problems--one, the pilot wasn't aired until well after the show was cancelled. The Train Job was ok as a "second" pilot, but I think it really would've done better had the first pilot been first to air. Second, as aired the show was weak in the first half. I for one watched the first 3 or so eps and then stopped. I tried watching again about a month later and found it much improved and started watching regularly...and it was cancelled. How many like me stopped early but unlike me never went back?

Rewatching them on DVD and SFC later on I saw just how promising a show it was. We got Serenity to sort of "cap off" the series, like the Farscape miniseries did for that series, but like FS it's just as gone now. The film didn't draw in enough people. I know a guy who watched Serenity never having seen FF...he said it was just "meh." Then he went back later, watched the series on DVD, and rewatched the film on DVD. He said, "Wow, it's so much better when you know the characters." The 2nd time he also cared when characters were killed. In the first film viewing he just shrugged and said "Ok, they died." So far as bringing people who didn't know the show into the fold, the film failed. He only watched FF on DVD later because of how much I liked it and he couldn't see why based on the film alone.

Same thing with Enterprise, the only ST series since the first to be cancelled, but it was cancelled after it got better! Its first 2 seasons were just as poor as TNG's first 2 years, but people tuned out sooner because unlike TNG it wasn't "fresh" anymore. They found their footing a lot faster than the previous shows did (good in S3, great in S4), but that was too late. It's really a shame because I think its final year was one of the best ST ever did...except for the series finale. That was an abomination brought about my last-minute notice of cancellation and having to throw together a finale real fast.

A big shame there.