Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

100 NM Phoenix Kill

True Ive had my wingman take out a target that Red Crown had identified at 95 nm.(Red Swarm campaign with the C version)

Do you have your AIM-54 data modified at all or is this straight outta the weps pack? I don't seem to have much luck with AIM-54's...

AIM-54C-2kills, maybe 3, against bombers head on its a turkey shoot.

unmodified.

Edited by Stick

Wow! That vid was killer.

One of these days i'm going to ask about how to record missions like that.

Beautiful! Amazing to see a kill at that range.

Nice shootin' Fubar!

I think my record is around 75nm while playing the Iran-Iraq campaign. Target was one of Saddam's Tu-16's... Never succeeded in getting my wingies to engage at that range though!

SB

Nice shootin' Fubar!

I think my record is around 75nm while playing the Iran-Iraq campaign. Target was one of Saddam's Tu-16's... Never succeeded in getting my wingies to engage at that range though!

SB

Im wondering whether the max visible distance value had to be increased for that?

The Tu-22s were not 'visible". I followed a vector from Red Crown, set my radar for 200 mile range, spotted the bogies at 150-170 nm range, and tracked them to within 100 nm before engaging them.

I used the ctrl+R (view current radar target) cheat, to select a target for my wingman, so I could order him to engage. That cheat works whether or not a target is within visual range.

Hey, that's not a cheat...just a really sophisticated IFF function...

FastCargo

Indeed when ur staring at a little 15'' screen nothing is a cheat!

The Tu-22s were not 'visible". I followed a vector from Red Crown, set my radar for 200 mile range, spotted the bogies at 150-170 nm range, and tracked them to within 100 nm before engaging them.

I used the ctrl+R (view current radar target) cheat, to select a target for my wingman, so I could order him to engage. That cheat works whether or not a target is within visual range.

my combat tree IFF :biggrin: - been a while since ive flown something with a radar tbh - so long id forgotten that even existed it seems

Oh hell yeah!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Next time i'm in an F-4 now i know what to do to get my wingman involved easier!

every time I take phoenixes on a mission, I find myself against MiGs, not Tu's. Nonetheless, I get steady 75% accuracy from about 70nm.

do you have to maintain a lock in the game, or are the phoenixes fire-and-forget like in real life?

do you have to maintain a lock in the game, or are the phoenixes fire-and-forget like in real life?

In real life the Phoenix has two or three guidance modes, but in general they are semi-active until the terminal phase, when they switch to an active homing mode.