Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

When did you start modding...

My very first mods where with CFS1, did a lot for CFS2 and CFS3. Also did some work for Alphasim. Dabbled in FS98 and FS20000/2. My first sim was F-15 Strike Eagle on the C64 in 1984.

Used to build locomotives for MS Train Simulator. I love Big Steam. Show me a 4-8-4,.......... I'll happily go ga-ga! Unfortunately, MS Train Simulator is crap.

Started making stuff for a Trek game called Bridge Commander around 2005 first using Milkshape, then moved onto Gmax (which was just a tease you into making things, but wouldn't really allow you to implement them into any game but FS - which I wasn't making mods for), then I got 3dsmax7 as a Christmas gift at the end of 2005 and began making some decent stuff for BC, and the SFP1 / Wox series. So far, been able to actually release my first model for Wox, and almost getting done with my second. I don't have anything completed for BC 'cause basically, the community for BC isn't really all that helpfull or gratefull for modders. I learned more stuff and got more help with getting my models complete over here that there. So now all my work will be focuse for the Wox series. Screw the BC folks.

Started making stuff for a Trek game called Bridge Commander around 2005 first using Milkshape, then moved onto Gmax (which was just a tease you into making things, but wouldn't really allow you to implement them into any game but FS - which I wasn't making mods for), then I got 3dsmax7 as a Christmas gift at the end of 2005 and began making some decent stuff for BC, and the SFP1 / Wox series. So far, been able to actually release my first model for Wox, and almost getting done with my second. I don't have anything completed for BC 'cause basically, the community for BC isn't really all that helpfull or gratefull for modders. I learned more stuff and got more help with getting my models complete over here that there. So now all my work will be focuse for the Wox series. Screw the BC folks.

That's too bad...cause I like BC with all the mods...

FastCargo

Wow, I can't believe I'm the "oldest school" modder here! Of course, I don't do it anymore, and I actually haven't done any in this century. :grin:

However, back in my HS and college days I messed around with modding stuff back when it was easier to read how to do it and do it yourself than to find a place to DL someone's mods.

The one I spent the most time on was good old SWOTL in 1991-92. A simple hex editor let you change anything you wanted in that program, although you couldn't change visuals other than colors, like turning a Me-262 white or something. People figured out how to change the terrain color so we turned Western Europe into Africa or the Eastern Front (brown or white instead of green). We made the 262 with the 57mm cannon in the nose via a few simple adjustments. You could alter plane FMs and DMs quite easily as well.

Once I left college and got a job and moved out of my parents' house, though, and Win95 came along, I pretty much gave it up.

Hmm... 2002 / 2003 for Flanker series. I started to Hexedit the game to make the SU-39 flyable (Flanker 2.03 or something like that) . My nickname was "Phoenix" on ubi.com :D

2003. Something around fooling around with 3D models for NFS: High Stakes, but too poor to have a decent PC that time. End up dropping out altogether till now.

Hmm... 2002 / 2003 for Flanker series. I started to Hexedit the game to make the SU-39 flyable (Flanker 2.03 or something like that) . My nickname was "Phoenix" on ubi.com :D

I modded the hell out of that game too.

I began real skinning just about a month ago.

Before that, I just fiddled around...

In mid-2004 for SF, when I made an IAF skin for one of howling1's Indian AF MiGs. Never looked back since.

For me, it came about when hanging around with a couple of buds who got me into gaming with them in HS. It started with making Civ 2 scenarios and new units in '97, then I stopped when I moved away to play Ice Hockey. When I came back in 99, they were heavily into Co-oping and campaigning and RTS games, so we went to town making maps, campaigns, (with new voice, video, ships, etc) mods for Freespace 2 and Red Alert, Red Alert 2, all stuff we played amongst friends, mostly co-op mods. Then My buddy and I got into StarFleet Command and around the same time, scored a copy of 3dsm and we began making starships, campaigns, etc for a few of his mates (and a couple of linebackers buddies of ours who were fearsome when using Gorn/Kzinti resp!).

I came across the SF series purely by chance when I went to re-hire LOMAC and, funnily enough, came across CA when looking for mods for it, but all I could find was this SF crap. : :rolleyes: Eventually I put 2 and 2 together and picked up a copy. It was the first game I'd played since SFC 1/2 where I could get into the nuts and bolts and tinker about with just about everything. It's a shame that more games don't allow you to do that as, for me, that's part of the fun. Compared to the WOx series, modding stuff like Zero Hour or San Andreas is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone...

I begin modding with FS98, around 1999 or 2000. I want a C-130 on the Brazilian Air Force colors. As nobody seems to be interested, I made one. And one helicopter of the police of Rio de Janeiro.

zview.jpg

zview2.jpg

Then with other four friends, we start the FAB Virtual project using FS2K2 and FS2K4. But the project proved to be very huge for only 4 guys with partial time. Some of my repaints.

F5E_60_01-1.jpg

a-26b_04.jpgzc-UH1H_amp.jpg

zc-c130_amp.jpg

One extra work.

zview4.jpg

After some time out of modding, I am restarting the works. Start modding campaigns for personal use, then build a whole campaign that's in Beta phase. Slowly I'm returning to "work". :biggrin:

I started with Command and Conquer Generals in 2004 with the United Nations mod. Had a team together, but most didn't have time as they were working on other mods. Then I did the mistake of offending a moderator and got banned.

Had the whole thing planned out with a map that was never ending (with missions like evacuate civilians, destroy caches, and secure buildings). Had three vehicles done (Supply truck, Warrior IFV, and M60 Patton).

Then I took a break and found Wings Over Europe and Vietnam in a Best Buy in San Antonio, Texas (go figure). Started with my first mod, the F-5F Kliner Tiger and moved from there.

Started modding back in 1986 on the Apple IIe,C64 and Adams computers.Started by making D&D games [good grief],Monster Mazes and made my 1st Flight Sim [for self enjoyment,X's and O's paltform! :alcoholic: ].Then got heavy involved into modding Chuck Yeager's Flight Adventures,A-10 Tank Killer and F-15 Strike Eagle.Then Enlisted into the ARMY and didn't return to modding until wrapped my hands WoV and started playing catch up to world's greatest on this forum.Nowhere near where I want tobe but close enough for myself.

I'm currently working on AC-119 BoxCar and it's a migraine.