Yup.

Actually it wasn't really "FMC" issues it was upgrades that the Gs were getting at the time, the Air Force didn't want to send Buffs into the fight without the upgrade. The Buff guys fought as 'Provisinal Wings' the largest was at Diego, where my father flew from, the unit was made up mostly of Loring and Castle guys, there were even crew chiefs and bomb loaders volunteering from Minot and KI Sawyer.

The plane that crashed on finals to Diego was a Loring BUFF with a Castle crew.

Wurtsmith guys were in charge of the KTO and operated out of Jeddah, but most of the A/C they used were Loring and Castle birds crewed by Wurtsmith guys, even some Loring/Castle Grifiths guys. After the first night of the war 6 B-52s that took off from DG recovered in Jeddah and were used by the guys there.

The paint scheme showed on Desert Storm B-52s doesn't actually represent who they were flying for, or who was flying them. This whole thing is where the "Air Expeditionary Force" came from.

Going to have to differ with you on some of that, the entire 524th BS, left Wurtsmith AFB planes and all, the flight line was empty. The the 379th BW flew the majortiy of the mission in DS working in the "AEF" concept.

I lived at Wurtsmith AFB for 6 years total, so they hold a special place in my heart.

Going to have to differ with you on some of that, the entire 524th BS, left Wurtsmith AFB planes and all, the flight line was empty. The the 379th BW flew the majortiy of the mission in DS working in the "AEF" concept.

I lived at Wurtsmith AFB for 6 years total, so they hold a special place in my heart.

The 379th flew the most sorties because they were what, 200 miles away from the theater, not on a 7 Square mile atoll in the Indian Ocean, doing 2 a days and stuff? I'm not saying anything bad about the crews or the people there hell, I'm not saying anything bad about anybody, they went and killed a lot of people and brought everybody home. Most of their organic planes were getting upgraded at depo though. I'm not saying the people weren't there, obviously they were, they just used a lot of borrowed airplanes, it is not a bad thing or a dig at them.

If anybody wants to dig at anybody it should be the Castle birds, apparently they sent 2 A/C that wouldn't drop, they knew about it before they went too, and just acted like it didn't matter. My dad flew a mission in a Castle bird, and came back with half a load of hung bombs. Another came back from 2 missions with complete loads. They finally had to send them home and get replacements that had just finished the upgrades. The replacement planes they got were Wurtsmith birds fresh from Depo.

It is pretty messed up to send a plane to a war with a known problem and cover it up and it ends up putting a crew in danger for nothing since it can't drop. Those guys took a lot of flack for that. My dad is writing a book about his career, the Desert Storm section is very interesting reading about how hectic the whole situation was. They were expecting 50% losses on the first night, but everything worked like it was supposed to.

I'll talk to my father tomorrw and ask what upgrade was being done, and get better info, but I think it was some kind of upgrade to the terrain following radar, or something other.

post-26946-1243294850_thumb.jpg

When the night falls down...

The 379th is famous for Wrong way Boykin getting his tail shot off by a HARM.

I don't think they were getting any upgrades as they has started retiring G models then DS kicked off.

Retirement of the B-52G began in the late 1980s. Mather's 320th BW was the first B-52G unit to be deactivated and ceased operations in July 1989. That same year, retired B-52Gs began to arrive at Davis-Monthan AFB for storage, but only 5 had arrived by the end of 1989. The 43rd SW at Andersen AFB, Guam was inactivated on June of 1990. The Gulf War of 1990-1991 resulted in a temporary delay in the inactivation of B-52G units. On February 16, 1991, seven B-52Gs armed with 39 AGM-86C conventionally-armed cruise missiles took off from Barksdale AFB bound for Iraq. After a couple of refuellings, they arrived over the southern border of Iraq, where they launched 35 of their ALCMs against targets in central and southern Iraq. The targets included a power station, a telephone exchange, and other electrical generating facilities. The missiles were timed so that they would all reach their separate targets nearly simultaneously. All but two of the missiles seem to have struck their targets. The B-52Gs then returned to Barksdale via another set of refuelling operations. By the time that the mission was finally over, the crews had been in the air for 35 hours. It had been the longest-ranging combat mission in the history of aerial warfare.

Edit:

We should take this out of the screen shot thread.

I didn't see that ZSU-23-2, then I almost wet myself when I saw the tracer. That explains the strange bank angle here.

post-28461-1243312549_thumb.jpg

See what happens when u leave 2 tomcats alone for a while? A litter of Tomkittens :biggrin:

Mating :biggrin:

have you payed dog taxes???? :rofl:

Even sometimes you just gotta fly without the usual, and just appreciate virtual flight.

post-5735-1243368962_thumb.jpg

post-5735-1243368975_thumb.jpg

If thers one thing that I think defines the difference between WOI and the rest of the series its the CAS missions in the mountains. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

post-26949-1243370492_thumb.jpg

I didn't see that ZSU-23-2, then I almost wet myself when I saw the tracer. That explains the strange bank angle here.

What i see in the pic is a new kind of decoy, or the "constellation of Urinon" (Apollo XIII)?

Edited by macelena

What i see in the pic is a new kind of decoy, or the "constellation of Urinon" (Apollo XIII)?

eh?

Actually, that was John Glenn's Mercury flight...

Actually, that was John Glenn's Mercury flight...

Well in the movie Apollo 13 one of the astronauts discharged his pee into space and called it constellation urine.

From what I understand, based on an interview with John Glenn a while ago, the first time this phenomenon was noticed was during his orbital flight, when he noticed several dozen 'glittering' objects he called 'fireflies' outside the spacecraft...later on it was determine to be a urine dump. Hence the original name.

However, this has been co-opted since then, Wally Schirra said something similiar in one of his Gemini flights, etc, etc...

But enough of the 'pissing' contest...back to the screenshots!

FC

PS Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

From what I understand, based on an interview with John Glenn a while ago, the first time this phenomenon was noticed was during his orbital flight, when he noticed several dozen 'glittering' objects he called 'fireflies' outside the spacecraft...later on it was determine to be a urine dump. Hence the original name.

However, this has been co-opted since then, Wally Schirra said something similiar in one of his Gemini flights, etc, etc...

But enough of the 'pissing' contest...back to the screenshots!

FC

PS Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

Oh I know that I was referring to what macelana was trying to remember. As far as your joke goes. Any more bad jokes like that and I will up your warning level. :lol::biggrin:

oh, right. That. It's just the stock CBU effects on "low" a couple of seconds after detination. it had nothing to do with the proximity of the rounds a split second earlier. :tongue:

boy, I should watch more movies...

Edited by Rambler 1-1

What is this?

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

img00003.JPG

Comm-On-the-Move (COTM)?

It should still have multi-barrel guns bristling out the left side, but I'm weird that way...

:biggrin:

Compass Call.

Awesome!

Compass Call.

Awesome!

Bingo.....