Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

"Star Wars Canyon"

We all know the ANW map with its myriad of valleys and canyons..

but the stock SFP1 Desert map has a ~50 nm long canyon, well hidden in the south-west corner of the map.

The canyon has 2 parts, the first 25 nm are very deep and wide and ends on a wall where you have turn 45 deg to the right and

go over a saddle in the ridge to enter the 2nd half which is much shallower. Its more narrow and has a nice S-turn at one point.

Attached below are canned missions for some stock kites, starting at the northern entry.

I also made a new Desert_dogfight ini for MP with the respawn points at the northern and southern ends of the canyon

1st pic = northern entry/exit

2nd pic = running south

3rd pic = southern entry/exit looking north

post-2042-1227285610_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1227285662_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1227285697_thumb.jpg

Desert_SWC_missions.zip

DESERT_DOGFIGHT.zip

Edited by Crusader

I receive my 1st copy of SFP1 this coming Saturday for the purpose of MP.Thank you Crusade for this insight of wisdom.(Cool words HUH?)Will download both very soon.Thank you!

have to fly those, and get the coordintes....

Looks like a perfect spot for "The Womp Rat Cafe" :rofl:

"Dancing and Dining and Shootouts 'til Midnight"

Wrench

kevin stein

One should be able to make very deep canyons by painting on the Terrain Editor exported HFD-to-BMP file and re-importing from that, and perhaps tweak them with tile height files. I think extra detail could be made with small "WW1 Sim size" map with smaller than standard SF tile height mapping without creating an overly large size map on hard disk.

When I was making the Six Million Meter Map, and working the BMP file in a photopaint program, I suffered a power failure with a surge. The surge caused a *small* data error that created a single pixel line across the map (6000km), only slightly different than normal for most of the terrain. I didn't see it until I re-imported, made the map playable, and in game I found a Great Wall about 2km high and 2km wide crossing the map. With external free camera (ramped up in speed/accel), I traced this thing all the way across the map. If I recall (and I may not!), it rose and fell with terrain and if that memory is correct, the error added to already existing BMP data. I made a screenshot but lost track of it.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Now we just need a big black monolith in the middle of this canyon, 1x4x9. TMA-4.

Now we just need a big black monolith in the middle of this canyon, 1x4x9. TMA-4.

I'm pretty sure I have a wingie called Dave Bowman in one of my installs.

Begar's Canyon? We'll need a T-16 now! :rofl:

So you go out and you slaughter innocent creatures for fun? What kind of a sick, twisted kid are you??

It's a desert planet and there are no women, what are we SUPPOSED to do?!?!?

That canyon would look nice with some jawas and banthas to strafe....

nice touch with the Cubs to pick off... I'm thouroughly enjoying taking those ships down.