Since the patch, when I select low or medium water settings, the water appears totally static. But it does appear more shiny than land area. When I set water to high I get some slowly moving waves, which is not bad, but I am not to fond of it either. Now I remember with the 2006 versions of the game; the water was moving and glittering a bit, and I liked that effect more. Maybe there is a way one can get that effect back in the latest version of the game? I have never tried modifying effects myself, and I don't know to what degree it is hardcoded. Any suggestions on this topic?

What terrains, specificly??? The Original 3 ™ all work, even post 06 patch.

have you added the TerrainFX lines to the data inis of the terrains in question??

Wrench

kevin stein

What terrains, specificly??? The Original 3 ™ all work, even post 06 patch.

have you added the TerrainFX lines to the data inis of the terrains in question??

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks, so the water effects are attached to the terrain folders. I just put in the 2006 germanyCE terrain folder and it indeed gives a water effect more close to what I remembered. So that's a good thing, I can probably trace it back from there.

I do have occasional crude transistions between water and land though, when water animation is enabled.

In each terrains ***_Data.ini are the specs for the effects; terrain, water and post 10/08, far terrain effects.

It's an easy copy/paste job from a postpatch terrains data ini, extracted from the terrain cat (VietnamSEA.cat, Desert.Cat, GermanyCE.cat)

A LOT of the older terrains will need some fairly minor tweeking (coverd in the "Official Patch Thread" and "Things You Need To Update Thread") , so I won't go over them here.

You still didn't say exactly WHICH ones you have that are faulted...

Wrench

kevin stein

I have a problem with water too. i get a lot of artifacts and corruption on water tiles that didn't exist before the patch. I can post screen shots if need be.

You still didn't say exactly WHICH ones you have that are faulted...

Oh, I did not want to say that anything is faulty on this matter, just not as good as I would like. I found the "low/medium" water looking boring and the "high" water looking overdone. And that is somewhat the same on all 4 official terrains IIRC. I never really thought it would differ for each terrain, I would have to test that and see if one terrain gives better water effects than the other.

Besides that, what it do notice on germanyCE and VietnamSEA that one could call faulty is these crude land-water transitions that appear and vanish as you move over the terrain, when water is set "high". See screenshot, at the right side of the island. Is that common?

I have a problem with water too. i get a lot of artifacts and corruption on water tiles that didn't exist before the patch. I can post screen shots if need be.

Sure, would like to see a screenshot.

post-32175-1228522790_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerwin

i too get that shadow around land as well. cant be specific on which terrain but I think Greece was one and a few other third party terrains.

Oh, I did not want to say that anything is faulty on this matter, just not as good as I would like. I found the "low/medium" water looking boring and the "high" water looking overdone. And that is somewhat the same on all 4 official terrains IIRC. I never really thought it would differ for each terrain, I would have to test that and see if one terrain gives better water effects than the other.

Try fiddling around with contrasts in the NOISENORMAL.bmp

Wouldn't, by chance, be using an ATI card??

Wrench

kevin stein

waterissues.jpg

It flickers. Very distracting and detracts a lot form what is otherwise a pretty beautiful game. Also when I was doing some strike missions I noticed a similar effect happening on some buildings. I added the Green hell and the Vietnam SEA repaint, and I had hoped it would fix the problem.

I am running an ATI HD4850. Frame rates are great maxed out. But I would expect so. it's one of the faster cards on the market.

Hi there , i'm also getting the dark blue outline at the waters edge . I'm using the payware euro terrain from razbam store and i also have square box's appear in the water which seem to be visable at about 20k ft , the dark outline flickers and sometimes goes away the closer u fly to the land . On a side note i have some flickering on the cloud when close up and wondered if it was a clipping issue and how to sort it ?

I use an nvida 8800 gfx win xp pro

Nope, no ati, using NVIDIA 6150 vid card with a dual core AMD 4400plus. Over 2GB RAM CPU at 2.3 GHZ. I have my water set to high on all TW sims.

Nope, no ati, using NVIDIA 6150 vid card with a dual core AMD 4400plus. Over 2GB RAM CPU at 2.3 GHZ. I have my water set to high on all TW sims.

Okay, good to hear It is not just my system ;) I have an nvidia 7600 GS (AGP) in there.

....Will be Back here tomorrow, it's late.

That water outline looks like F'ed up alpha channel to me...

@zmatt check around the forum a bit, that flickering has to be in the top 5(if not #1) complaints after sep/oct 08 patch

Hi, that pic above that Brain mentions is one I also see in some terrains. thye look like small peieces far out to sea. I think Greece terrain has it too.

Yes, I had the water shimmiring problem fixed weeks ago, thanks to this forum.

(the relevant entries in the vietnamSEA data file have been like this:

SolidObjectVertexCount=12288

SolidObjectIndexCount=18432

AlphaObjectVertexCount=8192

AlphaObjectIndexCount=12288

..and..

LowDetailMesh=-1.0

WaterMesh=0.8)

But I think that the strange water land transitions must be another issue...

They watch my new effect of sea

Very nice.

Please ,Relase this! :biggrin:

Edited by Signum

Yes,pls release this!

I already had this fix in place but i still get the dark blue outline around the water :help:

I already had this fix in place but i still get the dark blue outline around the water :help:

The size and type of normal file may have some bearing on that. Try the shader effects I uploaded a while back, it uses a larger waternormal file, in an alpha-channel corrected .tga format. It causes the effect to appear to be semi-transparent.

The size and type of normal file may have some bearing on that. Try the shader effects I uploaded a while back, it uses a larger waternormal file, in an alpha-channel corrected .tga format. It causes the effect to appear to be semi-transparent.

Thx will check that out

I downloaded and installed your shader effect , it has fixed the blue outline around waters edge but left me with flickering on the water ? . I've checked the entries regarding the fix and they seem to be ok in your shader effect so i'm sure somehow this can be fixed as before your shader was installed i had no flickering but blue outline and after have flickering but no blue outline . Somewhere between the 2 i think i'll find a fix lol

I downloaded and installed your shader effect , it has fixed the blue outline around waters edge but left me with flickering on the water ? . I've checked the entries regarding the fix and they seem to be ok in your shader effect so i'm sure somehow this can be fixed as before your shader was installed i had no flickering but blue outline and after have flickering but no blue outline . Somewhere between the 2 i think i'll find a fix lol

No issues here.... :good:

Water.wmv