Sign in to follow this  
raptorman

at a loss, my computer will not "run" third-wire stuff

Not sure what the heck (mild form of what I am feeling...) is going on with my computer and Third Wire games (SFP1, WOV, WOE) -- I cannot get them to load.

Here is what I am running:

Windows Vista (32-bit) Direct X 10 (up to date drivers)

AMD Athlon ™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz

3 GB RAM

Radeon HD2400 (1535 MB)

Prior to the patches, things ran well. Now, I cannot even get the games to spool up. Before patches, the main screen popped up fairly quickly. Now, post-patch (even with fresh install of WOE, no patching yet), the main screen does not come up (or it may take several minutes, which I seem to not be able to wait for to find out!). I know TK said load-up takes a bit longer post-patch, but I thought that my rig was a bit stronger than than the lower running systems TK said the post-patch games may have trouble on.

It seems that DX 10 is a problem? IS it possible to digress to DX 9.0c? Will these games run on DX10?

Any suggestions? I am really getting frustrated here. I am working on some P-3 mods and obviously cannot wotk with them since the sim won't even play!! :(

Any hints? Should I just work with the sim prior to the patch?

ANYBODY ELSE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM?

ARGH

BTW, are you all doing well?

Cheers!

Raptorman

With all these complaints Ive seen about these patches, Im wondering what exactly were they supposed to be fixing,

With all these complaints Ive seen about these patches, Im wondering what exactly were they supposed to be fixing,

Well some if not most people have no tehnical issues whatsoever :whistle2:

Wonder who might it be that is doing something wrong, but fails to attribute that to himself, but rather blaim it on TK, Blair witch, magic and wonder world etc...

NOTE: this is not adressed to the topic starter, I have no expirience running anything on Vista and therefore can not comment on any issues specific for running WoX on Vista OS.

Guest pfunkmusik

They beautifully on my new Vista 64-bit rig, post patch.

pfunk

I must admit, i had this problem when i got my vista system, but i found out the problem was that the GMX small video intro thingy was causing it, so i just deleted the intro video INI thing, and got rid of the GMXintro and it works fine now :)

With all these complaints Ive seen about these patches, Im wondering what exactly were they supposed to be fixing

I'll venture that 95% of the problems people have been having post patch have been due to old mods not working properly.

Which makes absolute perfect sense. Think about the QC nightmare that TK would run into if he had to try to accomodate all the mods with every patch.

I will also note that TK specifically says that the current sims are still NOT considered Vista compliant. The fact that they can run on Vista machines at all is a bonus.

FC

"The fact that they can run on Vista machines at all is a bonus"

Totally agree, for me when i first got my vista system, i thought oh god this isnt going to work, it took a bit of tweeking to muake it function properly ill tell you that :P

It seems that DX 10 is a problem? IS it possible to digress to DX 9.0c? Will these games run on DX10?

Hi:

Thanks for the advice(s). Nobody answered the DX question. Should I downgrade to DX 9c and get rid of DX 10? IS this possible?

Raptorman

Negatory, Raptorman, that dog won't hunt.

Vista is DX10, and XP is DX9, and never the two shall twain. There was to be a DX10 for XP, but it never did materialize. And there just is no Vista version of DX9,

so there is flat out no way that is going to happen...

I got a question. Where can I find a update to DX10? Tried the DX site but was confused on wether its for DX10 or DX9.

Falcon

Hi:

Thanks for the advice(s). Nobody answered the DX question. Should I downgrade to DX 9c and get rid of DX 10? IS this possible?

Raptorman

Yes they did - look at Fubars link 3rd thread down

Now this is weird.

I had SF2008 working just fine for weeks.

I was just running SF2006 doing some experiments.

Then it won't start. After the initial loadup, I click SingleMission and the screen flashes the main menu once and dumps to desktop.

Not complaining. I'll figure this out, or repatch up SF 1.0.

I've found my ticket. I fixed SF2006 so I get some good high altitude blue sky changes, but keep the sunset sky glow. I'll be passing on Patch 2008, anyways that's the end of the line for this game in XP.

Thanks for the input folks.

may be a problem with defragging...I tried that again and things seem to be better. Still not 100% though. Very "touch and go"

Thanks for the help!!

I'll venture that 95% of the problems people have been having post patch have been due to old mods not working properly.

Which makes absolute perfect sense. Think about the QC nightmare that TK would run into if he had to try to accomodate all the mods with every patch.

I will also note that TK specifically says that the current sims are still NOT considered Vista compliant. The fact that they can run on Vista machines at all is a bonus.

FC

I'll second that, last week I deleted a rocket from the weapons list, and WOI no worky at all, post patch, etc. etc. So yeah sometimes it's a little deletion here that can screw up things there..

Also of note, I think TK patched WOI with the October Patch. Reason I say this is that when I finally downloaded WOI and well got the October patch, it said it was good to go... have yet to see, but sounds promising for customer support.