Sign in to follow this  
Julhelm

Help with russian

We, Russians, have to learn English in school, then in University, then if we are going to take a Ph.D. degree. This order was established in our country decades ago, so IMHO it is wrong to think that confrontation between USA & USSR wouldn't allow the people to know the languages of each other.

We, Russians, have to learn English in school, then in University, then if we are going to take a Ph.D. degree. This order was established in our country decades ago, so IMHO it is wrong to think that confrontation between USA & USSR wouldn't allow the people to know the languages of each other.

:good: yeah, you're right

btw, in soviet union time the citzens could learn english?

:ok:

Edited by Silverbolt

Sure! As well as French and German.

Moreover, the knowledge of at least one foreign language is, and was, necessary to finish russian school.

Edited by krizis

Sure! As well as French and German.

Moreover, the knowledge of at least one foreign language is, and was, necessary to finish russian school.

Same here, English and German are dominant choices but Italian and French are also present, other languages are rarely in the regular programs. In elementary school you only have to learn one, but in highschool you have "primary" foreign language(advanced lessons) and secondary foreign language(begginer lessons)...

On universities you pick one of the foreign languages you studied in HS and take courses in it that are specifically related to terms and topics of the subject you are trying to graduate.

Also various courses on loads of other foreign languages are easy to find and are, or atleast were when I last looked quite affordable. Come to think of it, I might as well look for something that will make my German usable lol

Watching "Alarm fur Cobra" with subtitles does not cut it really lol

Edited by Brain32

man: are you single ?

Lady: no Im выпущено

man: why are you crying ?

lady : i have a гидро

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I once took up Arabic... forgotten most of it now but it's not that difficult to learn. Word structure is a bit peculiar but the rest is more understandable. BTW I also heard that Cinese is relatively simple to learn at beginner's level due to simple grammar. But when one gets to building up the vocabulary and pronouncing it, things get tough.

Chinese is tough. Seriously (this is coming form a Chinese that barely knew how to read and write Mandarin).

No kidding Chinese is tough.

My wife is ethnic Chinese but born and raised in Canada (first generation Canadian)...speaks the King's English (all those extra vowels). She's tried to teach me Cantonese...and I'm not strong in languages to begin with.

The thing I've noticed about most asian languages (being half Korean myself and unable to learn the language) is that tone, stress and duration are VERY important. In English, you can say a word with a totally wrong stress, tone and duration, and it's recognizable. However, just changing one part of stress, duration, or tone in an asian language can totally change the meaning of the word. Makes it very hard to learn without lots of practice unless you've been immersed from the beginning or have a natural aptitude for that sort of thing.

FC

Aren't the most important phrases to learn in ANY language

"Which way to the bathroom/toilet?"

and

"Which way to the secret installations?"

:rofl:

-----------------|

Wrench

kevin stein

I must admit I feel a slight shame in not being able to speak another language. We did French and German in school, with the option of Spanish. We never took it seriously and treated it as some kind of chore we just had to get through.

Wish I'd payed more attention.

I'm impressed with the level of English that's displayed by a lot of members here and it's kind of humbling.

Aren't the most important phrases to learn in ANY language

"Which way to the bathroom/toilet?"

and

Don't forget:

"Which way to the nuclear wessels?"

Okay.. moved it because we've gotten over the precipice on the topic...

I have a Russian-Arabic phasebook somewhere, that has got (among innocent tourist phrases) "Where is the aircraft carrier?"

The thing I've noticed about most asian languages (being half Korean myself and unable to learn the language) is that tone, stress and duration are VERY important. In English, you can say a word with a totally wrong stress, tone and duration, and it's recognizable. However, just changing one part of stress, duration, or tone in an asian language can totally change the meaning of the word. Makes it very hard to learn without lots of practice unless you've been immersed from the beginning or have a natural aptitude for that sort of thing.

Well, to make a long story short, East Asian languages are..."flowery". As in they are rather expressive.

I took more years of Spanish than I can remember, but I've had little use for it in the last 7 years or so and I've forgotten a lot.

I still can get the gist of what a given sentence means, but sometimes I miss the nuances. I can read it better than hear it due to all the different accents for Spanish. Cuban can be a real pain to the ear with how they drop their d's.

They don't say "ustedes"...they say "uste-es".

However, I don't really try to speak or write it at all.

Could we have this thread split with the cockpit-related posts put back in modelling forum because my intention for this was as a reference thread?