Sign in to follow this  
gumpy

Wrenchs new Socal map!

One hell of a job Wrench.That has to be one of the best yet.Thanks,Thanks,Thanks!

Thanks!

Nightmare retiling by hand, lemme tell ya! (texas is even worse!!!!!)

There's still some 'flaws" that I can't do anything about, ie: Long Beach/San Pedro terrain of not even close (enclosed harbor) but it sure DO look a lot more like where I live! :biggrin: Coronado Penninsula was a real bugger to get close, given the scaling issues and tile sizes. Still not totally happy with it.... but at least that large water mountain is gone from the Golden Gate!

What I didn't mention, there's a boatload of new Easter Eggs, too. For one, just follow the coastline east of Long Beach, to where it turns south..... then head inland a bit. You'll see it!!! :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

Just took a Rhino (The REAL one, an F-4, not the supa bug) for a spin around it. Awesome work!

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

I did too, got shot up in San Filipe, but Wrench,.... amazing work man, MUCH better than the original! :good: :good:

Found a helo base. Or at least that is what it was populated with when I flew over. The new airfield layout is awesome with separate hardstands.

WTG, Kevin!

-Jeff

Anybody experiencing "missing" for "flickering" tiles, due west of Fresno, between the farms and ocean?, and about 45 deg north of Vandenberg? (2 seperate areas that I thought I'd fixed....)

Just had a bug report....I thinks I know what it is....damn grass tiles or something in the TFD/HFD leaking....

I'll have a new TFD/HFD up in a bit, if others are experiencing it too.

Like Storm said, if you have helo in your aircraft folder, you'll seem them parked at various airfield that have a "LargeAircraft" parking slot.

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, the runways and taxiways are not showing up, at least in Fresno and Bakersfield. Speaking of Bakersfield, thanks for putting a target near my house, there goes the property values. :stars:

firehawkordy: You're very welcome!!! :wink: I was trying to get "things of high value" near Aunt Bets' house (the wife aunt -- who used to, and may still, live near Kevin St!!! I've got a picture of me standing under the street sign!)

as to the runways....

bakersfield.jpg

fresno.jpg

just took these 10 minutes ago, after reading your post. Just these or any of the others? They all work for me!! What cat pointer are you using (remember -- you can't use the IsrealME in WoI, it's missing stuff from the Original 3 ™, so the Desert, GermanyCE or VietnamSEA MUST be used. )

as the the vanishing tiles up near the Gilroy area...I've gone over the thing 4 times in the TE, swapped out the tiles, and it only seems to appear on the in-flight map. When flying directly over the area (the only target around there is one of the Blue listening posts...) all the tiles show up in the outside and free camera views. Either my TE is taking a dump, or there's something funny in the TFD or HFD in just that area (or crappy tiles....but they're stock!)

I"ll still issue a hot-fix, with the 'grass' tiles replaced with mountains. Tommorrow morning.

Truely, I absolutely do not understand the cause ... :dntknw:

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, the airfields now show up, I put in the Hi Res textures and that seemed to fix the issue. Having a blast with the strike and CAS missions, the A-10 is well suited for this. The AA is deadly even on Normal settings. I just can't find the SA-5 file but no matter, the default SAMs are just as deadly. :ok:

Kevin,

Even when viewing from the outside of the map, the tiles were missing. I first used it in WoE, and now have a separate install just for it using WoV. I'll try WoE again and also WoV and report back here.

-Jeff

EDIT------------------------------

Just sent Kevin some screens showing the missing tiles north of Vandenburg and another just west of Fresno. Tried in both WoE and WoV.

Edited by ST0RM

The new TFD/HFDs will be up today...I just want to test fly the region a bit more, and double check the data ini. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking it's almost like 'decal bleed' on a LODS open mesh....but that's not possible with the terrain (is it??)

I want to apologize for the problems...these (for the most part) never showed up in my testing (an almost clean WoE instll).

Wrench

kevin stein

I want to apologize for the problems...these (for the most part) never showed up in my testing (an almost clean WoE instll).

Dude, I will never complain about something you gave us for free. Thanks for giving this us. Just happy to help find some problems that popped up.

-Jeff

Great map! The terrain looks great and makes for some fun missions. I just went head to head with some Mig-15s in My F-86F. I had to force them down to about 20k. Turns out they were right about Mig 15s and altitude.

Hey Wrench, are you planning on adding Sacramento International, San Francisco International, or Beale AFB?

BTW, nice Colosseum.

Edited by suhsjake

jake: not enough room, given the scaling issues inherent in the game. BTW, that's the "Olympic Staidum" from WoE ... one of the non-used, hidden objects in the GermanyCE cat

(and FINALLY!!! somebody noticed it!!!)

----------------------

Ok, this is what the newest build has...Ive retiled the western farm border near Bakersfield ... methinks my homemade "FarmRiverEnd1.tga" may have had a glicth, but the leakage is still present...

Show some quite odd behaviours..

in flight map:

scal_glitch1.jpg

The red arrow points to the tile in the following shots..

Now you see it...

scal_glitch2.jpg

Now you don't!!

scal_glitch3.jpg

As it only seems to be in the one area, with only 5 or 6 widly seperated tiles affected, I'm letting it go. Checking the height field bmp in the TE shows nothing odd...mountains and flatlands.

I'm stumped! You all'll just have to live with this small inconsistency.

Wrench

kevin stein

As it only seems to be in the one area, with only 5 or 6 widly seperated tiles affected, I'm letting it go. Checking the height field bmp in the TE shows nothing odd...mountains and flatlands.

I'm stumped! You all'll just have to live with this small inconsistency.

Wrench

kevin stein

Re-check your terrain_data.ini textures list, this may cause this

there are a few spots on my copy that on the map and in flight show blank textures, just white spaces on the ground.

but other then that, the map is great to fly at sundown.

img00078.jpg

Edited by rovert97

CA: that's what I thought at first, too. Make sure I didn't do the dummy mistake of NOT including the tile, AND the textures listed are correctly numbered. Everything looks good.

Even thought it might be related to the "new" post-patch HeightMesh section, which I added to the data ini. I know the disappearing tiles never occured in the pre-patch version...?? :dntknw: ??

In a way this is quite good ... a learning experience for all involved (ok, ME) trying to bring the Really Old stuff up to present day standards.

Oddy, the ASW (texas) map dosen't seem to even have this issue

Wrench

kevin stein

ps: as per Dave's post in the WIP Thread, The Alamo has been moved to the proper location. With as many times as I've seen the John Wayne movie...ya think I'd know where it goes... :rolleyes:

I found base housing for camp pendleton :biggrin: Gonna try and find my old house :biggrin:

all works goods except clouds,some are black,some blue and some flashing pink!

X, my brother...I don't know what to tell ya. That's something I've never experienced in ANY version of the game, but I recall something about video drivers and/or tgas in the effects folder?? (or was that explosions and exhaust trails...)

Are you using any odd-ball sky mods??? I'll put the terrain folder in my Big Install (that has Polak's old clouds) and retest.

btw, just for s**t's and grins, edit out the line in the SCal ini for the enviromentalsystem ini (as it has a custom one to raise the cloud decks)

Screenies would be good, too!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Hey Wrench, just thinking, good thing the housing boom went bust in Bako, otherwise you'd be re-tiling the western side of Kern County every week with new housing. Seriously, I am having a blast flying "combat"on my home turf. Even though it's make believe you tend to fight a bit harder for your own home. Think I'll fly a CAS in Van Nuys and then go to DisneyLand :cool:

X, my brother...I don't know what to tell ya. That's something I've never experienced in ANY version of the game, but I recall something about video drivers and/or tgas in the effects folder?? (or was that explosions and exhaust trails...)

Are you using any odd-ball sky mods??? I'll put the terrain folder in my Big Install (that has Polak's old clouds) and retest.

btw, just for s**t's and grins, edit out the line in the SCal ini for the enviromentalsystem ini (as it has a custom one to raise the cloud decks)

Screenies would be good, too!!

Wrench

kevin stein

This is the problem,in my unpatched version your terrain shows up correct,I use new cellinsky mod for the sky and hdr/bloom effect,my video card drivers are the latest release

This is the problem,in my unpatched version your terrain shows up correct,I use new cellinsky mod for the sky and hdr/bloom effect,my video card drivers are the latest release

Disable and remove ENBSeries HDR plugin, had the same problem (or even worse black clouds).

@Wrench: Have runways showing ocasionally.

edit: removed image from reply

Edited by CA_Stary