Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

WOV Essentials

I just put WOV on my PC again and want to get back into it. But, what are the best and well, most important mods for WOV? I'd like to keep it as historical as possible too, also freeware.

I just put WOV on my PC again and want to get back into it. But, what are the best and well, most important mods for WOV? I'd like to keep it as historical as possible too, also freeware.

I'd recommend my airfield lighting mod http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=3602, and (if you fancy a trip back to 1965) my VMFA-531 mission packs http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5675 (although there are a few pre-reqs). But then I'm biased ;-)

Oh, and not forgetting this recent mission from 1972: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=8217

Regards, comrpnt.

Edited by comrpnt

comrpnt, do you know if all your WOV missions work in the latest patch?

dumb question, what do I lose if I don't patch the game to the latest patch? I read some of the threads up here that the frame rates are pretty low. I just installed the vanilla version without applying any patches and frame rates are good, holding at 60 FPS everything just smooth as silk!

If I install any one of those addons and mission packs you folks mentioned above, will it kill some of my frame rates?

You'll lose some of the enhancements added in the recent patch, including much better enemy AI.

Green Hell 2 at full tilt can affect your frame rates quite a bit if your computer is a few years old. Same thing if you download the enhanced explosions or the bloom mod. Most other stuff (aircraft, widesky, etc) I haven't noticed too much of a slowdown.

FC

It's not really a top-notch system that I have here at home. Q6600@2.4GHz, HD 4870 1GB 780MHz/3.6GHz, Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits, 4GB XMS2 Cosair DDR2@1066MHz with other standard peripherals.

What are the patches which I need to obtain the best enemy AI?

I also gather that there are weapon editors and weapon packs which supply additional weapons, what are the weapon packs and where might I find them?

Does WoV support Beyond Visual Range air combat just like other modern flight simulations do?

It's not really a top-notch system that I have here at home. Q6600@2.4GHz, HD 4870 1GB 780MHz/3.6GHz, Windows Vista Ultimate 64bits, 4GB XMS2 Cosair DDR2@1066MHz with other standard peripherals.

What are the patches which I need to obtain the best enemy AI?

I also gather that there are weapon editors and weapon packs which supply additional weapons, what are the weapon packs and where might I find them?

Does WoV support Beyond Visual Range air combat just like other modern flight simulations do?

Dont think you are in any trouble unless your graphic card is less than the rest of your system :biggrin:

I just began a new campign in WOV using my updated(new HD and Nvidia drivers) near stock T-3120 and things are so different from the stock version it might as well be another sim altogether.

For starters i made a clean install, and added (in order) the 5/15/06 service pack, the September 2008 update, and the October 2008b update. The Bombing Range terrain mod came next, followed by Nato fighters 1 and 2.

Like i said above, it's virtually a whole new thing. About the only thing i want to do is tweak the 57mm and 100mm guns to be more accurate and i'm satisfied. My FPS suffers a bit on massive CBU dumps and i'm working on getting a little better object detail but that's minor league concerns. The improvement to gameplay is such an advance you will wonder how anyone can fly unpatched.

Inspired by the FOTI thread, i'm now engaged on a Rolling Thunder tour in an A-6. :good: BTW, first i flew a Thud but got shot down by groundfire on my second mission.

Got SPADS?

The MF F-8s, A-7s.

The updated F-111s.

The weasel thud and A-6B are grand for your ironhand / SEAD needs.

:ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Are there any WOV campaigns or missions that involve SPADs? Or Combat Lancers? Perhaps Misty?

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

comrpnt, do you know if all your WOV missions work in the latest patch?

Hi JA, for the most part these mission packs will work in the Oct 2008 patched version, with a few provisos. (I haven't tested these packs with that version yet, but plan a large revamp sometime later this year for when I complete the series)

First, the ships I used for the fleet at Dixie Station may not work correctly. This only affects a handfull of the early Pack I missions.

Second, any statics I've used, mostly at Da Nang and Phu Cat, may get in the way of auto-generated statics that are available post-October 2008 patch. I would need to reposition these aircraft away from the default locations used by the game engine.

Apart from those issues, target placement, type definitions and 3rd party add-ons are all pretty standard - and these techniques have already been provened by the work I did on the ODS mod, which again uses the Oct 2008 Patch on WOE, and the recent Dennis Pike memorial mission for the patched level of WOV.

So, in summary, Yes, 90% of what I did in these mission packs will work with the latest mod level.

Cheers, regards, comrpnt.

Or Nomads?

I knew I liked you for a reason! :good:

I'm still trying to figure out why the rest of the WOV heads aren't going ape s&@t over a COIN fighter that can out climb and and out turn a P-51.

I always wanted to be a blackbird (raven?). I met one once when I was I bartender. Saw a look in his eyes, asked him "what did you fly". He said "T-28Ds until I was captured".

Edited by charlielima

CA_Stary's Green Hell mod for sure!

FC

I've downloaded Version 2.. the normal map just looks so barren....

I'm still trying to figure out why the rest of the WOV heads aren't going ape s&@t over a COIN fighter that can out climb and and out turn a P-51.

I always wanted to be a blackbird (raven?). I met one once when I was I bartender. Saw a look in his eyes, asked him "what did you fly". He said "T-28Ds until I was captured".

I've been thinking a lot about doing Spads after i read one pilots book of his experiences over the Ho Chi Mihn trail in one.

But T-28s? :blink:

I can't see a long life ahead for someone deliberatly going low and slow over AAA infested areas.

Are there any WOV campaigns or missions that involve SPADs? Or Combat Lancers? Perhaps Misty?

Check out my WOV Ground War Enhancement in the campaign downloads section. It adds SPAD's to Rolling thunder, as well as adds CAS ops for A-7's, A-4's, and F-100's.

I have a modified LBII that I use with F-111A's added, but that isn't included in the download. You can just follow the instructions in the Knowlede base, though, to add an F-111 squadron.

Yep Malibus campaign addons are a must have.

Definately a great improvement over the stock ones.

One can always stubstitude some of the stock planes for better ones, especially the MF Crusaders come to mind.

Actually quite straightforward, look at the air unit entires and there si sometimes the correct plane sugessted.

Just change for the apropriate addon plane find a matching skin for the squad and you are of Flying C / D / E crusaders.

One could also substitude the stock F-105 for amordaves ones, better looking.

If you intend on starting a career based at Ubon, shameless plug look for my Ubon airbase replacement.

One could also add my NKP mod too. but you will rarely see that place in campaign play.

Amordaves excellent RTAFB Korat works also in WoV, parts of it reside in the jungle of greenhell2 but it's well worth it.

post-13500-1234545334_thumb.jpg

post-13500-1234545366_thumb.jpg

post-13500-1234545421_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking a lot about doing Spads after i read one pilots book of his experiences over the Ho Chi Mihn trail in one.

But T-28s? :blink:

I can't see a long life ahead for someone deliberatly going low and slow over AAA infested areas.

Just So! Piston slapppers are "flak magnets".

The first combat fixed wing loss in the SEA conflict was a T-28. some 20 or so were lost.

T-28s are faster then SPADs too I believe.

In WOV ground fire takes my SPAD out neerly 50% of the time. With the new patch when I direct the rest of the flight to attack ground targets, they seem to go for the guns and SAMs more then before so my survival rate is improving.

Ok, Green Hell 2 is flickering....what did I do wrong?

Ok, Green Hell 2 is flickering....what did I do wrong?

Not sure but it works nice for me, and needless to say CA_Stary, excellent work!!!! :good: