Sign in to follow this  
Lt. James Cater

F-111 Weapons Delivery...

In WOV i was always wanting to fly the F-111 but never got around to it. So then comes ODS and here it is!

I love everything about it except one small thing. The tactics i imagined using and practiced involved a very low level high speed attack using snakes. However, in ODS we only have 2000lbers and knowing just how dense the defenses are, i'm not really to anxious to try popping up to altitude high enough to have a go with these bombs after getting waxed by a SAM on my very first sortie doing just that.

Advice anyone?

Before i forget, can we use the Range with ODS?

I too tried the 111 and suffered the same results although I made it to the target AND destroyed it but was hit by SAM's on the way out :blink: I used the 'low and Fast' profile but the mobile SAM's, ZSU's and AAA were too much.

From what i've seen so far , HI-LO-LO-HI seems to work pretty well.

It's pretty much like the Thud in Vietnam, once you get down below 500ft at full throttle nothing is going to catch you unless it makes a perfect bounce.

Here's what Dave said (loosely) 'Using Snakes/BSU's,700kts @700'AGL, release when tgt is in the sight'.

Here's what Dave said (loosely) 'Using Snakes/BSU's,700kts @700'AGL, release when tgt is in the sight'.

I might have to practice it, that's why i wanted to know if the Range MOD will work with ODS. Exactly what distance and delay for the weapons is what i would need to find out.

I use low level, low speed, high efficiency runs, I come in at max speed on the deck then pop brakes, nose up for 3 seconds, nose down and drop... then run

Edited by Anthony W.

I did a lot of tests when the original F-111s came out and at full throttle, on the deck at anywhere between 500-700AGL, 700Kts, just as Dave says, your stick of snakes *will* hit the target.

I have no problems delivering snakes, it's that my unit doesn't have them in the ODS campaign and i have to adapt to other weapons in a seriously high threat area.

The weapons are 2000lb bombs and CBUs.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

May want to try the tried and true dive bomb technique too. Get the pipper on target then just pickle away.

or get the community weapons pack, so you can use snake eyes.

He means that he doenst have them in the campaign probobly because the unit isnt equipped with them.

:biggrin: I got shot down while doing a dive bomb run.

Came in low and fast, went full burner and began climbing for enough altitude to get a good look at the target and height enough for the bombs. Got nailed by an SA6 while in the dive.

Dive tossing would work on runways and such but no way would it be effective for point targets.

PS- My unit is not equipped with snakes.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

How did the F-111 do it in real life during ODS, presumably they had some way of doing it that worked for point targets using dumb weapons? Or maybe they only carried GPS enabled bombs.

Time to go find some F-111 books/articles...

That is my whole problem, getting away from the target area. if i stay low, i have to try and dodge the many guns that are everywhere as soon as i pull up to avoid the guns it is SAM city :blink:

How did the F-111 do it in real life during ODS, presumably they had some way of doing it that worked for point targets using dumb weapons? Or maybe they only carried GPS enabled bombs.

Time to go find some F-111 books/articles...

Most of the pictures and footage I saw of ODS with the F-111s, they always were using Paveways. So they probobly didnt have that problem, lol.

Most of the pictures and footage I saw of ODS with the F-111s, they always were using Paveways. So they probobly didnt have that problem, lol.

Just been reading the globalsecurity.org website and that seems to tally with what they say too, F-111 F strike profiles were adapted to medium altitude as opposed to traditional low altitude during ODS. F-111 F's carried the largest laser guided class of weapons weighing in at 5000lbs and performed a "tank plinking" night role with 500lb laser bombs.

Just been reading the globalsecurity.org website and that seems to tally with what they say too, F-111 F strike profiles were adapted to medium altitude as opposed to traditional low altitude during ODS. F-111 F's carried the largest laser guided class of weapons weighing in at 5000lbs and performed a "tank plinking" night role with 500lb laser bombs.

LOL, I would hate to have been Akmed in one of the Iraqi T-72s when th Varks came screaming over and dropped a LGB on top of me.

I'll think of something.

Perhaps i should go high and throttle back to kill time and let some other strikes go into the target area some distance ahead of me. They ought to soak up the worst of the SAMs before i drop the nose and build up speed to approach at about 15000ft for a regular dive bomb attack.

LOL, I would hate to have been Akmed in one of the Iraqi T-72s when th Varks came screaming over and dropped a LGB on top of me.

I kiill you! :biggrin:

What is the proper delivery solution for snake eyes?

I'm not too experienced in using it.

snakes are high drag they fall slower so you can beat feet out of there you can get lower and closer but please be faster!

Ooo, cool, `Vark questions, I can do that.

I was an F-111 weapons crew chief in `91, during Desert Storm. Sure enough, F-111F's invented "tank plinking," but the term was frowned upon as not being PC.

There were people in those tanks, and the PC crowd thought it was insensitive. Boo-flibbin' hoo, I said, it's a war.

As to the 5,000 lb. 20 foot long LGB, that was the GBU-28 bunker buster. The quickest turn around for a weapons system from idea to delivery in the history of the USAF,

to that point in time. Brought to you by the 431st Test & Evalution Squadron, McClellan AFB, Ca. Home wing was the 57th Fighter Weapons Wing, out on Nellis AFB, NV.

Here is the 1st test shape loaded on 0186, which I loaded.

gbu-28.jpg

It was a shape in as it did not have any explosives, it was filled with cement. It was made to be dropped from 40,000' and penetrate 100' of sand, then cement, before

detonating. This test object did just that, guided by the F-111F's bay mounted Pave Tack pod, and went past the 100 foot sensors, so they said "ship it!"

We were told by our newly incoming wing king that it was a shame we didn't get to use it.

A week later the news hit the streets that it was used, by Lakenheath jets. Twice.

A week after that, they announced the disbanding of the squadron. in July 1992, the 431st TES ceased to be. The same day I got out...

___EDIT___

Darn, sorry, was on a tangent.

In game, you really NEED the snakes, of BSU's, to do the job right in an Aardvark. Go to the Desert_Storm.ini and find the F-111F. Scroll down and find the lines that read;

Supply[010].WeaponType=CBU-89

Supply[010].Quantity=600

Substitute as uch;

Supply[010].WeaponType=Mk82SE

Supply[010].Quantity=600

Or add a line, like the above, with the next number in sequence. I do see the BSU's there, so they will due. They are actually newer than the snakes, and use a

parachute instead of the metal petals. I do like the latter better, as they look so purdy before they blow things the heck up!

:biggrin:

Edited by Spectre_USA

I am aware they a high drag bombs. I want to know when to start releasing the snakes (distance from target, positioning of target relative to HUD, salvo interval, etc.).

I am aware they a high drag bombs. I want to know when to start releasing the snakes (distance from target, positioning of target relative to HUD, salvo interval, etc.).

You might want to go to the Knowledge Base, and add yourself a CCIP on the HUD.