MK2

Screen Shots, Videos, Media, OFF Posters

No, not in DiD - but if I don't fly DiD, I sometimes even fly with Labels; just to have some fun.

For the video, I left the text on, cause it shows the hits (the video is rather too small to see much detail).

For the next video though, I want to make a "pure" air combat movie; without any aids or assignments.

No, not in DiD - but if I don't fly DiD, I sometimes even fly with Labels; just to have some fun.

For the video, I left the text on, cause it shows the hits (the video is rather too small to see much detail).

For the next video though, I want to make a "pure" air combat movie; without any aids or assignments.

cool. i hope i can manage at some time to make a video. but since i don't have fraps and everything i found in the web is with a watersign (is it called it watersign in english?), and i don't want to mess around too much with my settings, it might take a while.

but i think my vid would be rather boring. i would record the "normal" sortie. the start, snippets of the patrol while searching the skies, the decision if attacking or not. the landing etc. rather the normal sortie instead of epic battles.:dntknw:

Wasserzeichen = watermark

Ich weiß auch läängst nicht die Hälfte in Englisch, aber hier kannst Du es finden:

http://dict.leo.org/

You can download the full FRAPS version for 19,90 Euro (I payed it via PayPal).

That includes later updates.

With FRAPS, you can record your sortie, in parts or one piece. You can even "pause"

to change views etc.

Later you cut these pauses out; you edit the stuff with Windows MovieMaker.

There you can cut the bits out, that you want to use; you can make titles and effects,

and a soundtrack.

It is a lot of fun; and also a lot of work time to get it right.

I would like to see a good Creaghorn style patrol - but it would have to be made

by a very good "director", cause maybe there wouldn't be much "action".

So, one would have to catch everything in perfect pictures and lighting; one would

need to switch over to enemy flights or other flight members; or ground vehicles etc.,

to make it all worth watching, without boring the spectator.

If you really want to make videos, you can always ask me for advice; and I'm sure,

you can ask Hellshade too.

cool. i hope i can manage at some time to make a video. but since i don't have fraps and everything i found in the web is with a watersign (is it called it watersign in english?), and i don't want to mess around too much with my settings, it might take a while.

but i think my vid would be rather boring. i would record the "normal" sortie. the start, snippets of the patrol while searching the skies, the decision if attacking or not. the landing etc. rather the normal sortie instead of epic battles.:dntknw:

:bye: Some of the Business people in the West call it a Watermark:hunter:

Flying for survival (what you do) is what the real pilots did. My flying is more for "Hollywood", sad to say. That said, you could still record a Scramble Mission the next time one occurs if you choose to fly them. I've been trying to get one and haven't had any luck yet. Or simply hit the record button the moment you decide to engage or are "jumped" during your routine sorties. OFF could probably use some good scenery videos too, where planes are recorded at max detail flying above various max detail landscapes. The ftrial version of FRAPS allows you to record 30 seconds of video at a time so you can always give it a try and see if you like what you get.

Hellshade

I see that the outstanding films just keep on coming from our resident artists. Well done Hellshade and Olham. And, I finally have my FRAPS sorted out again so I gave a go at putting together another video vignette of my own. I had a go-round this AM in my Aussie Brisfit with a pair of DVa 200's in the skies above Egypt, and managed to capture the whole affair for posterity. Enjoy.

Cheers!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Very nice video RAF. Cool scene of you flying directly over the pyramids. Nice flying and excellent shooting too. I like how you save your ammo until each round is going to count by finding it's mark. Well done! :drinks:

Hellshade

Just how much damage can you do with a single gun and only 500 rounds? 6 v 1 quick combat video using "DiD" settings except the ammo counter is left up.

Hellshades Air Combat Video #13 (5:14) HD

Enjoy,

Hellshade

Glad you enjoyed my desert fight Hellshade, it was a flip on Olham's with the lone Brisfit winning the day against the Albatri.

I just watched your latest six-v-one and you show some very accurate shooting there. C'est très magnifique. But I do have to ask what you have your gun strength set at and/or which damage model are you using? I'm no slouch myself with certain aircraft, (the Camel in particular), and I can park myself on the six of Albs all day long and focus 75 to 150 rounds from my twin Vickers into their engines and lower wing roots, and seldom do I get flamers or have the pleasure of seeing flying surfaces tear away from my opponents craft. However, you can manage it on nearly ever kill in about 30 to 50 rounds, and with a single shooter no less. So what's your secret Sir? Inquiring minds want to know. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

With the exception of ground attack videos (it's too hard to blow up a parked plane) and two air combat videos (where I forgot to switch it back after ground attack ones) my guns really are on normal. I am also using the standard damage model. No DM mods. The secret is to aim right in front of or at the engine (depending on distance and angle of attack, of course) when at any angle other than directly behind them. When I latch right on to their 6, I try to aim slightly above or right at the pilots head or I try to dip down slightly below so I can aim up into the engine. But there is another secret too. Early Albatross's seem to explode much easier than other aircraft with engine hits. Especially the DIIIs. I'm not sure why but it seems to take fewer rounds to get them to catch fire. And of course, the planes are more likely to explode when I am right on top of them doing my work. My hit percentage is often 40% - 50%. I even had a 64% accuracy rating once after one mission. The more bullets pouring in, the faster you get the effect you desire. You just have to know the exact split second of when to pull away so you don't ram the fellow. That's why I love the Sopwith Triplane so much. It has agility in the air that allows me to maximize my fighting style, despite the fact it only has 1 gun.

Here's a Campaign Video I did late last night. Jasta 2, July 18, 1918 on patrol and we come across a squadron of Spad XIIIs from ESC 112 squadron. With Spads, I found the weak spot to be their wings. Holy hell though, I didn't think they would ever stop coming. You'll notice the entire video is shot in a single take too. No editing at all other than text, of course. What an amazing fight!

Hellshades Campaign Video #13 (9:58) HD

I readily admit to using 3 cheats on every single one of my Campaign Videos though. Automixture is On, as are Unlimited Fuel and Unlimited Ammo. I would never stop kicking myself if I ran into a perfect dogfight and suddenly it was all over because I ran out of fuel or ammo. I try not to "spray the sky" very often, if at all. In particular though I found it difficult to get up very close to the Spads with my DVII, so I did a lot of lead shooting at the broad surface of their wings. Much too far for me to be able to accurately hit their engines.

Enjoy

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Just how much damage can you do with a single gun and only 500 rounds?

Enjoy,

Hellshade

Outstanding SA and gunnery being displayed there!! The other thing that really stands out is your mastery of the Tripe's flight characteristics. Poor buggers didn't stand a chance. Couldn't help but notice that only one of them ever seems to fire a shot in anger at you. Perhpaps when you set the AI difficulty to "Ace", they thought it said "Arse"??

From my experience, the DIII's can be like shooting fish in a barrel at times, and yes, the earlier models do seem to go down in flames a lot easier than the later offerings. Try that same scenario against some DRI's and I think you're far more likely to sustain some serious battle damage....if you survive at all. Unlike the DIII's, the DRI's will be much better able to turn with you and can ruin your day in a hurry if you're not extremely careful about watching your six. It's happened to me...several times....lol.

Really enjoyed watching that......brilliant piece of flying!! Keep 'em coming. :good:

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

I hope you know I meant no offense Hellshade, and I detest the use of the term "cheat" in this scenario. The only time someone is using a "cheat", IMHO. is when they are competing against another and are using unfair means to do so. With a sim such as this, and when you are flying against yourself and the machine, it's not a "cheat" when you use modifications to make the sim more pleasurable to you and readily admit how you have things set up so that others can attempt to emulate it if they so choose. I am aware of the lead and attack angles you describe but did not know that the Alb III's are easier to flame and clip wings from. I tend to end up in more battles with DR1s and Alb Vs so I will have to go back to gunnery school and practice on the early Albs to see if I can get that kind of hit accuracy with my old man eyes and reflexes.

Thanks for the tips Hellshade, they are much appreciated.

I guess ol' Parky didn't like my new video though...only Hellshade's...sniff, sniff...it's OK...I don't mind...

:biggrin:

I hope you know I meant no offense Hellshade, and I detest the use of the term "cheat" in this scenario. The only time someone is using a "cheat", IMHO. is when they are competing against another and are using unfair means to do so. With a sim such as this, and when you are flying against yourself and the machine, it's not a "cheat" when you use modifications to make the sim more pleasurable to you and readily admit how you have things set up so that others can attempt to emulate it if they so choose. I am aware of the lead and attack angles you describe but did not know that the Alb III's are easier to flame and clip wings from. I tend to end up in more battles with DR1s and Alb Vs so I will have to go back to gunnery school and practice on the early Albs to see if I can get that kind of hit accuracy with my old man eyes and reflexes.

No offense taken at all, my friend. There have been several missions that, having flown and reviewed them, I jump back into the workshop to make sure my guns are on normal. I might try a QC in the same scenerio using guns on Strongest though, just too see how many fewer bullets it allows me to prevail with. And Parky, flying against DR 1s sounds fun indeed. Keep checking back and I'm sure I'll get one posted sooner or later.

Did you guys check out Campaign Video #13? Damn Spads were endless!!!

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

I guess ol' Parky didn't like my new video though...only Hellshade's...sniff, sniff...it's OK...I don't mind...

:biggrin:

Lol......here, have a Kleenex....lol.

Actually old chap, when I hit the link it said "buffering"......looked like it was going to take longer than the entire first world war. Decided it would be quicker to download it than let it stream. Download in progress...

Btw.....it had better be good.....after eating up all my bandwidth like that.... :grin:

Critique to follow....

Cheers,

Parky

Lol......here, have a Kleenex....lol.

Oooh, double ply, and scented too. Very nice.

Critique to follow....

...be gentle...

Oooh, double ply, and scented too. Very nice.

...be gentle...

Compliments of the bride. She's got a thing for satin sheets too, but I don't wanna' get too far OFF topic here....:kisses:

Just finished watching that clip..........well worth the download!

I love your choice of music. Perfect for that theatre of operations. Very immersive. The 3rd person perspective really adds to it as well......very nicely done indeed.

I notice you seem to run into the same problem I do when flying that Brisfit...no air brakes......lol. That aircraft, even in the shallowest of nose down attitudes, will continue to accelerate like hell even when you cut the throttle completely. Tough to pull the reins in on her, and many is the time that I've run right up someone's arse as a result. Noticed you had a couple of close calls there yourself. You did well to avoid collisions.

Nice bit of flying.....good kills.

Any plans to put one up from the rear gunner's perspective??? I'd love to see it!

Cheers,

Parky

Glad you enjoyed it Parky, and thanks for the kudos. Yes, the Brisfit is a beast to pull out of a dive so it's best to either allow a lot of room or keep it shallow. But close calls? Feh...I had at least an inch to spare. :wink: And funny you should mention it, I am planning on doing a video shot entirely from the gunner/obs POV in the near future as I think it would be quite neat. I did just put another short movie together to see not only how far I could push my system with the new nVidia drivers, but also to see if I could work some of that Hollywood-style damage on an Alb DIII that Hellshade can. So, I had seven N17's go at it with seven Alb DIII's in the Alps down in southern Germany. Set the sliders at 5-3-3-5-5, cranked up FRAPS, and had very few white jaggies, so I am quite pleased with the whole affair. Enjoy:

Cheers!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Well done Lou. I see you got the engine to explode and come flying out too. Nice shooting. :drinks:

Where did you get that scenery from?

Hellshade

Thanks Hellshade. Yuppers, took the engine right out of that poor old Alb. As to the scenery, you have it too. Head down to the German-Swiss border and there it is.

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, your desert scenario was a wonderful sunny break from our "mud" in Flanders,

and the Alpes added more to this holiday feeling - thank you, well done!

The more videos I see, the more do I hope for an AI in future, that will use it's flying skills

for better and more evasive actions.

Those men and aces didn't have more kills than they had, because it was mostly very hard

to hit an opponent, who was aware that he got attacked.

In my video, the Brisfits stopped evading after a short action intro; and so did those

Albatros in your vid - after a good "Ouverture", it turns into a "Turkey Shooting".

Will P4 change that to a certain extent?

Lou, your desert scenario was a wonderful sunny break from our "mud" in Flanders,

and the Alpes added more to this holiday feeling - thank you, well done!

The more videos I see, the more do I hope for an AI in future, that will use it's flying skills

for better and more evasive actions.

Those men and aces didn't have more kills than they had, because it was mostly very hard

to hit an opponent, who was aware that he got attacked.

In my video, the Brisfits stopped evading after a short action intro; and so did those

Albatros in your vid - after a good "Ouverture", it turns into a "Turkey Shooting".

Will P4 change that to a certain extent?

is it because it's set to the unaggressive HiTR AI?

Thanks Olham, glad you enjoyed the "break". I agree about the AI not giving much of a fight after the first couple of passes. Creaghorn, I have the AI set as "Aggressive" and I've even gone so far as to set their gun accuracy higher as well. It seems like it depends on which plane the enemy is flying. I can often get a very good fight going up against DR1's, Halbs, and EIII's, while the Alb drivers tend to be pretty much cold meat. DVII's can go either way, as can the two-seaters. Depending on how things are progressing, I will sometimes turn away from the attack to see if the AI will respond by trying to pounce again, and that does work now and then.

From my experience, the DIII's can be like shooting fish in a barrel at times, and yes, the earlier models do seem to go down in flames a lot easier than the later offerings. Try that same scenario against some DRI's and I think you're far more likely to sustain some serious battle damage....if you survive at all. Unlike the DIII's, the DRI's will be much better able to turn with you and can ruin your day in a hurry if you're not extremely careful about watching your six. It's happened to me...several times....lol.

Really enjoyed watching that......brilliant piece of flying!! Keep 'em coming. :good:

Cheers,

Parky

Let me just say that trying to keep 6 Fokker DR 1 Aces in a relatively small area, without letting any of them get on your tail to shoot you is something like trying to keep a bunch of marbles grouped together, without actually touching one another, on a completely uneven slick surface. What a freakin nightmare!!! :heat: I don't know if I have ever worked that hard in a cockpit before in my life. It isn't pretty towards the end, but it's a hell of fight. I highly recommend anyone who wants to feel completely overwhelmed in the air give that scenerio a try. Same rules as before. Weapons normal, 500 rounds and no "cheats" except the ammo counter is up.

Hellshades Air Combat Video #14 (8:01) 1080P HD

Enjoy,

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Creaghorn, my AI is always set to "Aggressive", to get the most from it - still no way.

RAF_Louvert: I can often get a very good fight going up against DR1's, Halbs, and EIII's, while the Alb drivers tend to be pretty much cold meat.

That's what I get from all the videos, when Albatros are fought.

If anyone would try the same fight against me in the cockpit, he would at least

find it very difficult to hit me at all.

He might even collect hits himself or get totally destroyed.

The way it is now, it's a shame for the Albatros and several other fighters, which were all dangerous opponents.

Hellshades Air Combat Video #15 (4:48) 1080P HD

Just for some contrast. 6 "Ace" Alb DIIIs vs 1 Sopwith Tripe, 500 rounds, no cheats on except ammo counter and Guns are set to STRONGEST. They do indeed come down quite quickly.

Enjoy,

Hellshade