MK2

Screen Shots, Videos, Media, OFF Posters

all I want is to get to my room and close the door behind me. Only to lie on my bed, smoking, and wondering,

Geez, Ohlam, reading this makes me want to do the same. Bravo :biggrin: . Great pics, too!

This is all making me wonder, though, where to draw the line between what goes in this thread and the "Reports from the Front" thread? Narrative is helped by illustrations, but illustrations need explanations, and I'm not one for "this is a pic of that", I want to convey something of what I was feeling at the time.

Edited by Bullethead

Jasta 9, Vauxcerre, July 20th 1918

Oberleutnant Juergen Mahlo

Leutnant Stemmler, Leutnant Gottschling and I are sitting together with our youngsters,

Leutnant von Heisenberg and Feldwebel Knapp. We are drinking French beer from bottles.

It makes me homesick; this beer is not like any beer at home. And it's too warm, too.

The new pilots are deeply impressed by their 'old leader' - half an hour ago they witnessed,

how I shot down two SPAD XIII from Esc.83, within 4 minutes.

They are hanging at my lips, but I don't want to talk much. I looked right into the cockpit of

the second SPADfrom above, from less than 50 meters. From my angle, I could see his legs

in sand trousers, his arms, his hands in brown gloves, desperately pulling the stick - in vain.

I saw the impact of my burst, violently ripping holes into the sand trousers, the leather jacket

and the brown gloves, the pilot's cap - and I saw him looking up, right at me, a pale face,

perhaps 19 years old, and then the impacts in it...

If my pilots could see the chicken skin on my arms, if they could feel the cold shudder down

my back spine... But they don't notice it, and I don't show...

Stemmler makes a joke, that isn't funny really, and no one finds it funny, but we all laugh a

sandpaper kind of laughter, and then we wash the joke and the laughter down with lukewarm

French beer. Looking into the golden afternoon sun, I cannot feel any warmth from her.

She doesn't care, if she bathed even slaughter in her golden light.

"Excuse me now, gentlemen, I have some paperwork to do!" My voice sounds like through a

tin can; I'm standing up; hope, it didn't sound weak; I see their disappointed looks, but all I

want is to get to my room and close the door behind me. Only to lie on my bed, smoking,

and wondering, what I am doing here in the Marne valley; what I have become...

Well done Olham

Did you know you can shoot down trees???

Oh man, that's awesome!

How many do you have to get before you're a termite ace?

My god, Test Pilot and Bullet - I was in a sombre mood earlier on, but you two

made me laugh really loud. Thanks for that, mates!

Bloody hell Olham, that was quite something. :good:

Good grief Olham don't retire. You haven't won the war yet. Duty calls.

Great piece of writing Olham! It was like a really good book, where you get to the end and wish there were more.

:drinks:

-Rooster

Did you know you can shoot down trees???

I'm a lumberjack and I"m okay, I sleep all night and I work all day!

CJ

As some have said, my above report should perhaps have been in "Combat Reports from the front";

so I have posted the second report of Oberleutnant Juergen Mahlo there now.

Here is just a pic from his last fight.

Jasta 9, Vauxcéré, July 21st, 1918

Oberleutnant Juergen Mahlo

What a day this is! About 03h00 in the morning, we got a call from a command post south-east

of Soissons. Knapp is alive. They found him near the wreckage of his Albatros, unconcious.

He had left all papers at the base; they didn't know, who he was, until he awoke. At 03h50, he

was back with us, and we couldn't see a scratch, nor did he seem hurt in any way. He begged

me to take him with me on our ground attack, early at 07h00. He looked so demanding, and he

said, he had to get right back on that horse, or he might loose his nerves. So, how could I say

"no"? I wish, I had.

East of Soissons, we spotted 4 SPAD XIII high above us. They didn't hesitate long, and came

down on us. A frightening moment, when they come like huge hawks, growing bigger and bigger.

We had just begun the turning, when I saw 2 more SPADs arrive from the north. But Stemmler,

Gottschling, Knapp and the new Eugen Koch fought very well; so I could take on the visitors.

They had a blue echelon painted on their planes, they were obviously unexperienced, and they

are dead now; they fell at 07h39 and at 07h42, near Soissons. The second though, he had almost

lured me to fly into an obs balloon - I hadn't seen the damn thing!

I went down to help my wingmen with the remaining two SPADs, but they finished them off.

I decided, not to continue for the ground attack, as I had perhaps left 300 - 400 rounds, and I

didn't know, how much my wings had left. So, we headed home. Knapp is missing again.

Between Ambrief and Mont de Soissons airfield, we came across a bigger dogfight. Three or four

D VII from Jasta 28w, with their yellow and black tail fins, were turning with at least four SPADs.

South, I saw four more SPADs, beginning to attack Ambrief field.

I decided, that the Fokkers could help themselves, and took my flight over to help Ambrief.

But when I just got into hunting one SPAD, I noticed that mad Fokker below me, also firing at him.

Looking around, I realised, I was surrounded by 3 SPADs and three D VIIs now. Fokkers everywere!

I shot my last rounds into the bulky, camouflaged plane, when it suddenly lay on it's back and pulled

headover into a hangar; resulting in an explosion and a fire.

I went right out of this furball now, and collected my flight.

Passing Mont de Soissons Ferme, we saw 5 Fokker Dr.1 with blue fuselages. I felt safe like a baby now.

Never before had I seen so many German fighters present.

Approaching our field, we had to go round three Bristol fighters - those are nasty opponents; well

fortified and very aggressive. But then I saw, they were hunted already - I spotted four more D VII

with greyish Lozenge camo approaching them.

Back on the ground, there was no plane to be seen or heard anymore. Combat had moved on.

We had our lunch outside the back of the mess, sitting on a slope in the grass. A cricket hopped into

my hot soup and got boiled. Avoid the too hot places - how much longer will we be able to?

Edited by Olham

Good thing you know what you're doing, Ohlam. Most folks wouldn't last long in such an environment.

Did you get griped at for destroying a German hanger? :)

Edited by Bullethead

A Dsherrmann hangar??! Me - destroyed???!!!! How could I do such terrible ssings

to my Kaiser's equipment? I am an officer and gentleman pilot, mein Herr!

Vee shoot down SPADs!!! But, vell, if you vant to split hairs - if you meant a shot

SPAD, crashink into zatt hangar - because it's dyink pilot cramped - now, zatt is

not in my hands, but his. French are famous for zeir cookink, right? For zeir wines!

For l'amour ! (blush!) But not for pilotink, right?

Help us spread the word about Over Flanders Fields ~ Between Heaven & Hell The DL versions will all print up nicely up to Tabloid size (11x17).

These are available in the OFF DL section under "Scenery & Ground Objects" ..Uhh.. Admin, maybe you could create a better folder name, like "Graphics," or "Other" and move this to that folder?

Enjoy..

contact%20sheet.jpg

• Like 1

Great designs, RABU, but wouldn't pics of the sim planes and air combat be attracting the right people more?

(And, on the German card, it should be: Unbestätigte Abschüsse verboten!)

Love those posters!.... I have to disagree with Olham (very rare) and say I think these are better without the planes on

I'd have to agree with Olham. This is the time to show off white-knuckle flying, high drama, totally real aircraft, weather...[Jaysus! The 'total immersion' thing is kicking in again!]

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe this is the kind of people we want to attract.

Edited by Hauksbee

Okay you critics, let's see what you can do. :wink: Me, I have no talent.

As a matter of fact Hauksbee I was thinking much the same thing regarding the t-shirt thing. Why not use screen grabs. Maybe a friendly contest on the forum?

Rabu,

Can these be made into t-shirts? I will be going to the WWI fly-in at WPAFB in Ohio in September and was hoping to have an OFF t-shirt to advertise this great game to other WWI enthusiasts. Your posters would look fantastic!

Posters are great looking but I don't think they'll increase OFF sales much

Problem is Posters are static and don't covey the exhilaration and intensity that is BH&H

Posters can only go as far as our local travels

I've talked to many people but have never interested anyone in OFF

Even simmers give me a squirrely face when I mention WWI

Don't think we'll have much success if we try to bring simmers to OFF

Best idea is to bring OFF where the simmers are

OFF will sell itself if we can get the word out

Only people I know that have the simming world at their fingertips are the website/magazine reviewers

Who are these people?

What are the most the most prominent websites?

What are their email addresses?

Let's bombard them with requests, videos, etc. until they start reviewing OFF

We won't be able to make T-Shirts fast enough then!

But, vell, if you vant to split hairs - if you meant a shot SPAD, crashink into zatt hangar - because it's dyink pilot cramped - now, zatt is

not in my hands, but his.

Well, as we frontsoldaten know, accidents happen and things on the line are absolutely never ready for inspection. But I'm sure somewhere up your foodchain is some REMF pogue who has to have a tittle for every jot, and all forms filled out in triplicate, who doesn't understand this. I recall once being deprived of my Sam Browne for a week because I happened to be seen by such a person while I was walking between my crate and the bath house with my observer's brains still dripping off my tunic. And that seems small change compared to burning one of Kaiser Bill's hangars :biggrin:

Edited by Bullethead

Great designs, RABU, but wouldn't pics of the sim planes and air combat be attracting the right people more?

(And, on the German card, it should be: Unbestätigte Abschüsse verboten!)

This is my effort, in my way, sorry you don't feel it is effective. Why not go do something you feel is better? :dntknw:

I'd have to agree with Olham. This is the time to show off white-knuckle flying, high drama, totally real aircraft, weather...[Jaysus! The 'total immersion' thing is kicking in again!]

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe this is the kind of people we want to attract.

Who.. girls? :biggrin:

There are lots of ways to approach this, I hope we see more of you getting involved in ways you think are best and would help the most.

Rabu,

Can these be made into t-shirts? I will be going to the WWI fly-in at WPAFB in Ohio in September and was hoping to have an OFF t-shirt to advertise this great game to other WWI enthusiasts. Your posters would look fantastic!

You're welcome to try, just take them to a screen shop and see if they can do it.. no sales though, OK? :biggrin:

Some of you might also want to try printing them out onto the iron on ink jet paper that is available.. it actually works pretty well.