MK2

Screen Shots, Videos, Media, OFF Posters

Feldwebel Gunther Blau of Jasta 76b battles some Sopwith Strutters over enemy territory. Based at Habsheim aerodrome in November 1917, it's easy to get distracted by the rolling hills and untouched land that makes for some fantastic scenery.

49008796.jpg

34440036.jpg

18680785.jpg

85166246.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

So good to have you back Shiloh! Your screenshots are always added to my folder of WWI desktop backgrounds!

That's very kind of you to say CaptSopwith - it's good to be back! :salute:

Spad XIII from ESC 98.

50508320.jpg

...at your heels? Gee, looks really threatening - which they were, I'm sure.

It's an ominous shot especially since the pilots face is hidden Olham and he's diving aggressively with bad intent. The main thing about Spads that's intimidating is their speed and they just look tough. Otherwise they're not so difficult to deal with.

Edited by Shiloh

They would be, if they used boom & zoom tactics, as they should. Maybe in OFF II.

Outnumbered 12:9, Jasta 37 had a tough fight against DH-5. There must have been aces in the

British flight - they fought very well. I saw three Albatros going down. I don't know, how many E/A

I have damaged - quite some - but I know I shot down at least three in my rage.

Flanders is a totally different cup of tea, after flying some time in the Marne region, definitely.

Jasta 37.jpg

Well I planned for this to go in the Reports from the Front topic, but unfortunately the pilot was killed shortly after the shot was taken. I was flying for Jasta 8 in Pfalz, on a routine patrol, when I spotted six SE5a low over a friendly airfield. Seeing a perfect ambush, I swept down on their tails, and within 30 seconds the trailing machine was going down in flames. It was then I flipped on labels, only to realise I had just flung my flight into RFC-56! So I ended up with two SE5s on my tail, but it was not them that killed me - it was lack of experience with the Pfalz. I was trying to turn it was you would turn a Pup, and it didn't go too well. I slid into the ground mid turn, to find my pilot was killed. Ah well - guess I should get in some more practise. grin.gif

gallery_66678_643_583369.png

Theultimat,

Great screen shot. How did you get the colors to be so vivid and have such contrast? It looks really nice.

Hellshade

Yeah, I guess you shouldn't mess with No. 56 Sqdn, RFC, when you do not know how to fly your craft.

Well, even then it may get hairy enough!

Max Jung of Jasta 6 takes on Sopwith Camels over Flanders Fields.

47072485.jpg

81259253m.jpg

39132707.jpg

32893519.jpg

97728738.jpg

@Hellshade: Thank you sir. To get the colours to look like that, I edited the screenshot in GIMP following this tutorial: Fake HDR Effect in Gimp.

@Olham: Sound advice. But I am definitely interested in flying the Pfalz more - any advice on how it should be flown, or have you not used it much yourself?

@Shiloh: Excellent screenshots! I've never flown the Dr.I in campaign before I don't think - I never last long enough to get there. grin.gif

Ulti, I haven't used it for a while, but I remember, that you shouldn't try to climb in tighter turns.

She would stall sideways.

If your opponent can climb and turn (Nupes can do that very well), you should keep the nose

at horizon level and follow his turn. That way he cannot get behind you, and if he comes down

again, you'll be there to receive him.

The Pfalz is a very sturdy craft, and with good altitude, you can dive steeply to gain speed and

maybe distance to opponents; and with that energy you can climb up and away again.

Use that more than turn fighting - she's an "energy fighter".

Shiloh, you have painted your Fokker very fine, with own monogram. :good:

That Camel jockey looks as if he is going to salute the King, before he will start his descent.

A Dr.1 is fine for fighting Camels.

ulti

I tried the Pfalz out a few times in QC and couldn't really get the hang of her handling characteristics. I too kept rolling over and losing control in turns but as Olham mentioned she's not really a turn fighter. I am definitely more of a turn-fighter pilot so that's why I tend toward the SE5a, Dr.I, Fok.D.VII, etc. I don't know if you would classify them this way but I have success with them fighting in that manner. The Dr.I is a pleasure to fly and I find she can hang with almost any craft. Her one Achilles Heel in my opinion is her lack of speed so that when you get in danger, have no altitude and need to run it's a difficult situation. But other than that I shredded 3 Camels in a matter of 10 minutes in QC yesterday so overall she's a champ.

Olham

I've been trying my hand at skinning lately and quite enjoy it. I may still modify this one a bit but it's good to get my hands dirty and test to see what results can be had. I originally had the chevron pattern going all the way across but the left side had a weird break that I couldn't figure out how to fix (see attached).

A Dr.I campaign with Jasta 6 is just around the corner. :salute:

47348902.jpg

The Dr.I is a pleasure to fly and I find she can hang with almost any craft.

Her one Achilles Heel in my opinion is her lack of speed so that when you get in danger, have no altitude and need to run it's a difficult situation.

The Dr.1 is not a plane for running away - Voss would never have been able to escape 5 S.E.5a - he had to take them on.

I originally had the chevron pattern going all the way across but the left side had a weird break that I couldn't figure out how to fix) (see attached.

Yes, sometimes the skins lie on the model in a funny way. The Alb D.II also has such a "break" - but only on the port side.

Here it comes handy, when you can work with "Layers" - you can cut and adjust the wave line, 'till it fits.

Edited by Olham

The Dr.1 is not a plane for running away - Voss would never have been able to escape 5 S.E.5a - he had to take them on.

Yes, sometimes the skins lie on the model in a funny way. The Alb D.II also has such a "break" - but only on the port side.

Here it comes handy, when you can work with "Layers" - you can cut and adjust the wave line, 'till it fits.

It makes me really reluctant to take the Dr.I over the lines at all yet historically the Germans fought more defensively so I guess that works. What wouldn't we all give to see that famous fight?

I did try tweaking that by splitting the graphic but it messed it up even worse. I guess trial and error and a lot of patience wins the day.

Edited by Shiloh

Yeah, you'd need to cut it, where the "crack" is, and then move the right part to the left a bit - only 4 - 6 pixels, I guess.

Yeah, you'd need to cut it, where the "crack" is, and then move the right part to the left a bit - only 4 - 6 pixels, I guess.

Thanks for the tip Olham. :good: I was moving one side of the graphic up when I should have been moving to the side.

I'm still getting Max Jung some reps in QC before I start his campaign with Jasta 6 - this time against SE5a Vipers.

51722890.jpg

56058930.jpg

43379308.jpg

46499913.jpg

Why don't you start a campaign, Shiloh - all these victories could now be in the book already.

Feldwebel Mahlow had a great fight above the southern Argonne.

His 5 Albatros got jumped by 2 groups of Nieuport 17 from 2 different Escadrilles - which both had overlooked

Kypke's 1. Kette higher up in the sun. Four of the shocked French got shot down.

Fw. Mahlow shot a whole wing off of a craft, which was beautifully painted with a giant snake, or a dragon.

After the fight he landed near the wreckage and cut the right side painting off.

The Serpent was the emblem of the French ace Maurice Jean Paul Boyau.

Strangely, the pilot was not in or anywhere near the wreckage.

Edited by Olham

Nice work downing that French ace Olham. Maurice Jean Paul Boyau had 35 victories and had a specialty of downing balloons. He downed 21 balloons over the course of the war with 14 aerial victories. That's a sweet looking dragon. I thought there might be a connection with that serpentine emblem and his rugby days playing for Team France but I couldn't find any.

I will get Max Jung on a campaign soon enough. :salute: I'm practicing against all enemy craft I'm likely to face in QC mode, then he'll start with Jasta 6 in early January 1918 as they unveil the Dr.I's.

Edited by Shiloh

Nice screen shots Shiloh. As Olham says, the DR 1 is not for running away. If you have the choice to fight or not, make sure it is one that you feel confident you will win. Once you are committed in a DR 1, you are in it for the duration in most cases. If you stay on your side of the lines and run out of ammo, bob and weave down low and lead them to places where ground fire can finish the job for you. Pragmatic survivors are generally happier than heroic dead men.

Hellshade

Thanks for the tips Hellshade. My first Dr.I campaign pilot was off to a good start before he was downed and captured over enemy lines. We were in a nice scrap with some SE5a's from RFC-56 and quickly the fight scattered. I found myself very low on ammo, and facing multiple e/a on my own. Because my ammo was low and I was close to the ground I tried to run and wove my way to my lines. I was finally downed just short of the lines and captured.

With this experience my strategies have changed. I will try to keep the fights on my side of the lines and maintain altitude so if I need to dive for some speed I can do so. I've even practiced steep dives into quick landings in case I've taken damage and need to put her down quick. I've been practicing tree-hopping and flying in tight low spaces (between buildings and such) in case I'm low and being pursued and perhaps this will slow them down or force them into a mistake. I do love the Dr.I though - if she only had a bit more speed.

Edited by Shiloh