Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

What's the official range for 'rock throwing'?

Only a week or so into OFF and already the immersion in 'total realism' is taking its toll. Friends say I've aged. My hands tremble, I have bad dreams, appetite is off and my vision is blurry from pullin' G's. Can heavy drinking be far behind? I was advised, early on, to get within 'rock-throwing' range or these planes won't go down. Tonight I'd like to get it settled: what is 'rock-throwing' range? Note the photo. I stalked that guy and peppered him with rounds until the blue damage notices nearly obscured the flying. I got him smokin'. I closed and held the trigger down. But he just wouldn't fold. I'm sure I could chuck a rock that far. Closer? Do I pull up alongside and lob the rock into the cockpit? Or, closer still, and just pass it to him? [i'll admit though, that they do, eventually, go down. After you've forgotten about them, a red "You destroyed a..." notice appears. Well and good, but lacks the satisfaction of a flammer.]

You know, I don't have this game, but the hype is severely convincing and I have decided that I MUST HAVE IT!

What is that? Plywood?! On the fuselage?!?!?! Where's the fabric on that airplane?! I mean, I know it's hard times and all....

I don't think you're close enough! I can't count the individual hairs on his knuckles!

Edited by griphos

this close

...and...and...did he go down?

No he went right.

Sorry, couldn't help myself

-Rooster

Edited by Rooster89

Only a week or so into OFF and already the immersion in 'total realism' is taking its toll. Friends say I've aged. My hands tremble, I have bad dreams, appetite is off and my vision is blurry from pullin' G's. Can heavy drinking be far behind? I was advised, early on, to get within 'rock-throwing' range or these planes won't go down. Tonight I'd like to get it settled: what is 'rock-throwing' range? Note the photo. I stalked that guy and peppered him with rounds until the blue damage notices nearly obscured the flying. I got him smokin'. I closed and held the trigger down. But he just wouldn't fold. I'm sure I could chuck a rock that far. Closer? Do I pull up alongside and lob the rock into the cockpit? Or, closer still, and just pass it to him? [i'll admit though, that they do, eventually, go down. After you've forgotten about them, a red "You destroyed a..." notice appears. Well and good, but lacks the satisfaction of a flammer.]

That's about right. Most of my shots that do any damage are within 50 yards (meters). Check your hit percentage at the end of the mission. My best in a practical dogfight situation is in the low 40%. I average in the mid 30%'s. If you are hitting him with twin Spandaus at that range with a decent hit percentage, he should go down. I do get the message that they have gone down later quite a bit, but a fair share of them hit the deck pretty quickly. You can also check which patch you have, I have not had as many flame with the 1.28, but they do break up more and spin out more.

RR

What is that? Plywood?! On the fuselage?!?!?! Where's the fabric on that airplane?! I mean, I know it's hard times and all....

I don't think you're close enough! I can't count the individual hairs on his knuckles!

And if he's German, the hairs on the palms of his hands! (sorry all my German friends...just a little joke there!) :biggrin:

That was close enough, Hauksbee!

Sometimes, they can fly on a bit, and ditch later.

After some time in BHaH (when you reach the heavy drinking phase - Lol!), you will have

developed a feel, for how much lead you have to pump into his plane to write it off.

I then turn on to the next candidate and let him fly his last seconds or minutes, dying.

Hard, eyh?

Bleech! Widowmaker!

Zere it iss again - ze discriminatink war propaganda of ze Limeys! Hair, on zee palm of our handz?

You ssink, Beethoven played piano vizz a fur on zee inside of his handz!!

Ven you look at zee amount of tea, an Englander drinkz, and furzther, zatt zey like to spoil it by

pourink ze same amount of milk into it, zen it'z no wonder zey appear a little pale, huh?!

this close
He did go down eventually. The thing is we did not collide.

He did go down eventually. The thing is we did not collide.

Talk about a "near-run thing!"

That was close enough, Hauksbee!

Sometimes, they can fly on a bit, and ditch later.

After some time in BHaH (when you reach the heavy drinking phase - Lol!), you will have

developed a feel, for how much lead you have to pump into his plane to write it off.

I then turn on to the next candidate and let him fly his last seconds or minutes, dying.

Hard, eyh?

Bleech! Widowmaker!

Zere it iss again - ze discriminatink war propaganda of ze Limeys! Hair, on zee palm of our handz?

You ssink, Beethoven played piano vizz a fur on zee inside of his handz!!

Ven you look at zee amount of tea, an Englander drinkz, and furzther, zatt zey like to spoil it by

pourink ze same amount of milk into it, zen it'z no wonder zey appear a little pale, huh?!

Heehee... I just love this banter! :biggrin:

Check your hit percentage at the end of the mission... I average in the mid 30%'s...

Right. I think the blue text damage reports are misleading. "You damaged an unknown airman" can mean that you merely put a round through the tail fabric. In QC, for all the rounds shot, my hit percentage has been staying at around 8-10%. Partly this is because I squeeze off many single rounds to check the range and see where my shots are falling [and to avoid jams] If I get a blue text line, I'll fire a longer burst.

But I wonder if others encounter the same scenario: You stalk and shoot for several minutes. You get several good bursts in and pieces fly off. Now, closing in, you pour a long burst into him. Rounds are falling dead center. Blue text is spewing out. Seems he should be gasping his last. But no! He just keeps flying. Could these planes really absorb that much punisnment?

EDIT: I'm flying an un-patched version of OFF. Seeing as I spend all my time in QC, do you think the patch is necessary?

Edited by Hauksbee

In the spirit of "unusual fighting techniques" rock throwing for instance, have any of you brought down an enemy via ramming/collision and survived to tell the tale? I did, but through no intent or skill of my own. Was doing head on passes firing, me in a Tross and the foe in a Camel. On one pass we obviously got a little too close as we impacted and he tore away my left lower wing tip. From the struts on out to the end of where the wing used to be was just exposed spars, some ribs, a bit of shredded cloth...and nothing! I was quite shocked as I struggled to regain control of my ship from the immediate spin it was thrown into, and did so successfully, and as this brief moment passed, I looked down to see the Camel that struck me spinning into the ground. I got the kill when he hit because I had put rounds into him during our combat. The damage did make landing a bit dicey, but I tested the bird up to the stall plenty high up for recovery if it behaved unusually nastily, (and sometimes when damaged they do!) and it was good. So with a bit of finesse at landing, my pilot got to write a very interesting and memorable logbook entry.

ZZ.

In the spirit of "unusual fighting techniques" rock throwing for instance, have any of you brought down an enemy via ramming/collision and survived to tell the tale? I did, but through no intent or skill of my own. Was doing head on passes firing, me in a Tross and the foe in a Camel. On one pass we obviously got a little too close as we impacted and he tore away my left lower wing tip. From the struts on out to the end of where the wing used to be was just exposed spars, some ribs, a bit of shredded cloth...and nothing! I was quite shocked as I struggled to regain control of my ship from the immediate spin it was thrown into, and did so successfully, and as this brief moment passed, I looked down to see the Camel that struck me spinning into the ground. I got the kill when he hit because I had put rounds into him during our combat. The damage did make landing a bit dicey, but I tested the bird up to the stall plenty high up for recovery if it behaved unusually nastily, (and sometimes when damaged they do!) and it was good. So with a bit of finesse at landing, my pilot got to write a very interesting and memorable logbook entry.

ZZ.

I got my wingman does that count....... :biggrin:

ZZ.

I've knocked down two scouts by hitting them with my wheels (and surviving without apparent harm to my own plane).

Right. I think the blue text damage reports are misleading. "You damaged an unknown airman" can mean that you merely put a round through the tail fabric. In QC, for all the rounds shot, my hit percentage has been staying at around 8-10%. Partly this is because I squeeze off many single rounds to check the range and see where my shots are falling [and to avoid jams] If I get a blue text line, I'll fire a longer burst.

But I wonder if others encounter the same scenario: You stalk and shoot for several minutes. You get several good bursts in and pieces fly off. Now, closing in, you pour a long burst into him. Rounds are falling dead center. Blue text is spewing out. Seems he should be gasping his last. But no! He just keeps flying. Could these planes really absorb that much punisnment?

EDIT: I'm flying an un-patched version of OFF. Seeing as I spend all my time in QC, do you think the patch is necessary?

Well if you want to see some awesome damage I'ld say yes And don't forget you can change the damage your guns dish out in the workshop settings.

Wow, Siggi, you got me beat! and your landing gear didnt fold on landing either.....well done. Red Dog.......ummmm......yeah...not quite the same. :no: But good try just the same.

Guess we need a "creative kills" ranking.

ZZ.

Well then, I guess I'll get the patch. Also, I think I'll stick to chucking rocks; these "creative collisions" are 'way above my skill level!

Hauksbee, I gotta ask the same question as Camel Jock: How the heck far CAN you throw a rock? If you can pitch it that far with force and accuracy there are a few baseball scouts that want to talk to you.

Siggi, I have bumped a couple of planes with my wheels as well and watched them crash because of it, but my landing gear folded up when I tried to land afterwards. You must have the luck of the Irish with you.

Olham, you are correct about us Brit flyers liking our tea. Why, we even enjoy it with your national meat product, the bratwurst.

tea_and_brats.jpg

Now then, who scarpered with the milk for my cuppa?!

Cheers!

Lou

Well if you want to see some awesome damage I'ld say yes And don't forget you can change the damage your guns dish out in the workshop settings.

See my thread re making your own damage modelling- You can really have some damage showing using that guide

Well then, I guess I'll get the patch. Also, I think I'll stick to chucking rocks; these "creative collisions" are 'way above my skill level!

That's what I suspected. What you were describing is EXACTLY what was happening to just about everybody before 1.26. Get the 1.28 patch and things will be much more dicey for your enemies. (and you, too, but then, you shouldn't let anybody get on your six anyway!)

:yes:

Hauksbee, I gotta ask the same question as Camel Jock: How the heck far CAN you throw a rock? If you can pitch it that far with force and accuracy there are a few baseball scouts that want to talk to you.

Siggi, I have bumped a couple of planes with my wheels as well and watched them crash because of it, but my landing gear folded up when I tried to land afterwards. You must have the luck of the Irish with you.

Olham, you are correct about us Brit flyers liking our tea. Why, we even enjoy it with your national meat product, the bratwurst.

tea_and_brats.jpg

Now then, who scarpered with the milk for my cuppa?!

Cheers!

Lou

There was a third time, on a DVII, he survived (I think) but I had one wheel knocked off. I landed lop-sided and did a big ground-loop.

Hey, Lou

In 1989, when I was in Cornwall, I had an English breakfast.

They brought me baked beans, bacon and eggs, grilled tomatoes and a fried sausage.

After that, I could hardly get on my bicycle and felt stuffed all day.

But I found out: when I give the sausage a miss, it's fine for sundays - you mustn't cook a warm meal later anymore.

And for the tea I say: I am an Ostfriese (East Frieslander - so: east of the West Frieslanders, who are part of the dutch

nation). In Ostfriesland, tea is an absolute must, a local speciality. People would rather eat less, than have no tea in the house.

But in Cornwall, that lady served the Cornish cream tea with a pot of hot milk. Whn she saw, that I poured the tea into the cup,

and only added a teaspoonfull of milk, she rushed back, as if I was about to poise myself. "Have you ever had tea?" she asked.

"Yes." "And - ah - didn't you put more milk in?!" "No. Were I come from, we drink it like this." She blushed in despair.

"But it surely wasn't as strong, as we do it here? It's meant to be filled up half with milk, to make it drinkable!?!?"

"No, thanks", I said, supping a bit "it's pefectly fine, as it is. Almost as strong as I like it at home."

She walked away, looking over her shoulder again and again, as if she expected me to drop dead any minute.