Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Interested in "Top Gun"? Read this!

This may come as a shock to some... It did me, anyway!

why?...we have some outstanding pilots in this country too yer know..

or...did you mean a pleasant shock?..

Edited by russouk2004

The Brits invented Top Gun? That's cool.

But not as cool as the fact that it was really the North Koreans...

:biggrin:

Bah ! I like the dear platform shoe wearing leaders' Top Gun way better....

This may come as a shock to some... It did me, anyway!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...by-British.html

Somebody smarter than I am said once that you should learn from everyone, enemy as well as friend. A smart thing to do is a smart thing to do. NVietnam pilots in older aircraft taught us a few lessons and our staunch allies taught us a few more. We learn, adapt, and overcome. Thanks, brothers and respect due!

It is, also, good to know that Tom Cruise is really a Brit. Doesn't explain it all, but it helps a lot.

Just read the book on holiday, the inventing Top Gun bit is certainly a bit press release hyperbole, but it's fair to say the RN's AWI course had a significant part in the structure of the NFWS when it was established.

The book itself is a fairly informative run through of the state of RN aviation through the '60s and the tragic run down in the '70s, using the mission to overfly Belize as a focal point and definitely worth a read. Also slightly disconcerting to be sat by a pool in Turkey reading a book and find your Dad's name mentioned!

Its all about teamwork, cos NOBODY knows everything, and theres always something to learn.

there is not a lot in the USN that didn't originally come from the RN.

there is not a lot in the USN that didn't originally come from the RN.

I beg to differ with you on this, Typhoid. As an AF type, I enjoy poking good fun at my Naval Aviator brothers, but I, absolutely, never take them for granted nor lack respect for the very powerful arm they give our country. It appears to me a disservice to the Naval Aviation to claim all that they are came from the RN. In my opinion, this is off the mark.

All the more so since I have been trying to smack the postage stamp without dying. Damn things just won't hold still!!!!

Somebody smarter than I am said once that you should learn from everyone, enemy as well as friend. A smart thing to do is a smart thing to do. NVietnam pilots in older aircraft taught us a few lessons and our staunch allies taught us a few more. We learn, adapt, and overcome. Thanks, brothers and respect due!

It is, also, good to know that Tom Cruise is really a Brit. Doesn't explain it all, but it helps a lot.

Sure, here we say the englishes had some bad losts in falklands because they knwe very well how to defend from soviet Union, but they didn't knew how to deal with friendly weapons using against them.

I beg to differ with you on this, Typhoid. As an AF type, I enjoy poking good fun at my Naval Aviator brothers, but I, absolutely, never take them for granted nor lack respect for the very powerful arm they give our country. It appears to me a disservice to the Naval Aviation to claim all that they are came from the RN. In my opinion, this is off the mark.

All the more so since I have been trying to smack the postage stamp without dying. Damn things just won't hold still!!!!

that wasn't quite the tack that I was implying. Having smacked the deck a few times myself (both at sea and is this sim), I am a proud and frequently vocal member of the "Real Pilots use Tailhooks" crowd!

:biggrin:

I was merely acknowledging the enormous contribution to the USN that we have gained over the years from our RN cousins. Things like steam catapults, angle decks on carriers, fresnel lens, etc.,.........

and tactics! I was at a USN school called Tactical Action Officer school that taught extensive tactics where the Secret NOFORN portion of the course was taught by the RN exchange officer. As explained by the school CO - there is not a lot that the USN is going to keep secret about tactics that the RN didn't teach us first.....

Bahh, just more British propaganda. Just like that whole Beatles thing. :wink: