Sign in to follow this  
Gr.Viper

Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam is Released!

Is it my imagination, but have the treatment of shadows and rain effects been improved? Looked really good to me at first glance. Plus the weapon drag effects made it overall a good purchase value.

MPD

Mike,

It's the DX10 Plug-In's. They enhance the Looks quite a bit.......

I am using XP still, not Vista. Looks very good to me.

Thanks

The DX10 Plug-In's will run on a DX9.c Machine. I have XP too. It looks great!

This little bit of info I think may be escaping many folks - I initially was not going to get it as i refuse to be a Vista user. To all out there - it runs great on XP. Buy it! I want to try installing YAP2 on it now. Have you tried that yet?? If so, any special things that need to be addressed aside from the cockpit graphics stuff already mentioned?

Mike

Actually, Quite a bit. YAP Products weren't designed for SF2. It takes alot of Work to make the Product work in SF2V. With that Said, It does work....But I'm not a Customer Rep for YAP. They get paid for doing such a thing.......

I'll give it a try this weekend - watch for a PM if I have problems!!

Mike :yes:

Oy! So many addons added since I was last here.

I'm really excited to get SF2V, but I wonder what addons could be used with it that were developed for other products? Can you add addon aircraft SFP1 or WoV or WoE? What about terrains? I see there's an Indian terrain out there now. Would that be usable?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Thanks!

Oy! So many addons added since I was last here.

I'm really excited to get SF2V, but I wonder what addons could be used with it that were developed for other products? Can you add addon aircraft SFP1 or WoV or WoE? What about terrains? I see there's an Indian terrain out there now. Would that be usable?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Thanks!

With the SF2:V series, so far its been trial and error. I have added the F-101 series with little problems. I have yet to add a terrain but I have added them in SF2 though with very little problems. Just minor things here and there.

With the SF2:V series, so far its been trial and error. I have added the F-101 series with little problems. I have yet to add a terrain but I have added them in SF2 though with very little problems. Just minor things here and there.

Most will work but the new mod folder structure (all in your save games folder) will make complete conversion mods difficult to install.

This seems to be a problem, everyone is modding for the current series, cause the new series implemented this new filestructer. It`s interesting to see when we will start "modding" the V2 of the TK series

This seems to be a problem, everyone is modding for the current series, cause the new series implemented this new filestructer. It`s interesting to see when we will start "modding" the V2 of the TK series

Yup but the new folder structure makes it more easier to manage. So just hope everyone jumps to the SF2 standard.

Has anyone else got nuclear effects working in SFP2 yet? Maybe I am being dumb. I have Killer Bee's weapons pack installed but noticed the lack of nuclear effects despite being included in the pack. I made a separate mod folder to test if CA Stary's Enhanced Explosions 3 pack would work in there, and still no nuclear effects.

Lexx's nuclear effects pack won't work in SFP2 either. This seems odd as all the other effects appear to be working, can anyone else confirm that they have working nuke effects in SFP2? Maybe I just missed something obvious.

I'm thinking about picking this up soon, otherwise, I figure there'll be a WOE II soon at this rate and I'll grab that one instead. What are the terrains like? Are they more cluttered like CA_Stary's mods, or do they resemble the originals in terms of content. I prefer having clutter, otherwise, it feels just a little bit lonely to me with the odd tree here and there. :yes:

I'm thinking about picking this up soon, otherwise, I figure there'll be a WOE II soon at this rate and I'll grab that one instead. What are the terrains like? Are they more cluttered like CA_Stary's mods, or do they resemble the originals in terms of content. I prefer having clutter, otherwise, it feels just a little bit lonely to me with the odd tree here and there. :yes:

It looks pretty much like the first generation maps.

Plane models and cockpits look better though. Better quality than the first generation and the existing mods (in my opinion).

Edited by jomni

Lexx's nuclear effects pack won't work in SFP2 either. This seems odd as all the other effects appear to be working, can anyone else confirm that they have working nuke effects in SFP2? Maybe I just missed something obvious.

I can confirm that the Nukes are not working. Neither are any of the colored Rocket Effects. Looking at the new PartcilesSystem.INI, It seems to be something to do with the new .fx Plug-ins. I'm not a Effects Person by any means, But from testing, I know the "Effects" Folder works. Or the LAU-62 Flare Pods wouldn't work. And they do. The only difference I see from both PartcilesSystem.INI's is the Line:

EffectShaderName=twColor1.fx

or

EffectShaderName=effectLightLevel.fx

These Lines were added as the first Line to "Materials" of the PartcilesSystem.INI. Some "Older" Effects may have to have this Line added to Work. WOX Title Line doesn't have this in the ParticleSystem.INI, even after Oct.08 Patch. So this is something New. Some Effects that are dependent on "Light" or "Smoke" may need to be adjusted with this Line added. That may be the reason why some Effects are working, and some not.

As with the GunData.INI, The ParticleSystem.INI has included one "Line" each. For Guns, The Line Addition is:

AmmoStoreWt=

And for the ParticleSystem, It's either one or the other Line assigned to "Materials".

I'm not a Effects Guru. If I were, I'd fixed these things. But, I'm not. I left it up to the Community's Effects Guru's to make the nessary Changes. Besides, They are the Original Authors anyway. I just got the Weapons in Game. That's all.

Semper Fi!

331KillerBee

PS. Something of note....Every "Material" of the ParticleSystem.INI has one or the other Entries in them.....One or the other, but not both.

Edited by 331Killerbee

The new effect shaders introduced in SF2 family are currently disabled, recently TK wrote about it on Thirdwire forums, sorry, don't have the link to quote him.

The old particlesystem.ini doesn't work in new series (my case at least)

SF2 -stock SFP1 map, I haven't noticed anything new related to ground textures, objects etc

SF2:Vietnam -I think the textures have been slightly modified , anyway look better than in WoV

The ground clutter seems unchanged, but treemods work w/o problems after little tweaking. I assume the 4-seasons mod for WOE would work in SF2:Europe just fine.

The new cockpits (and I could buy the new series for them alone) are superior to anything we've seen fr the series. Planes are TMF quality :good:

Thanks for chiming in with that info MGySgt Sir! Seems you have identified an area we need to look into i.e. write those lines where needed. (Edit: I see you have already done it! So onto step 2) I'll try that next and see what setting uses advanced shaders has to do with it, if anything. A huge debt of gratitude is owed to you for the enormous amount of hard work that must have gone into collating, editing, testing and finally releasing your weapon pack!

In other news, I just finished my own franken mod weapon complete with crayola repaint skin and really appreciate the hard work that the real modders do all the more for that. Hope to release if anyone is interested, it's a jerry rigged WE.177B (don't hold your breaths on this it's a real POS but at least it's the right colour and goes BOOOOOM!!!)

Edited by Kopis n Xiphos

The old particlesystem.ini doesn't work in new series (my case at least)

Yes but it can be made to work with a simple ini edit, so far I managed to make everything work with new shaders, except the HUD's.

In all cases the solution was to assign a shader effect(*.FX files) to the material and it worked flawlessly...

I hope TK will support this as performance gains for those with good DX10 cards like me are gigantic!!!

Using "UseAdvancedShaders=1" I came from for me unplayable below 25fps to rock solid and super-smooth 50fps+, now if he would just fix the HUD issue, when asked for arguments for buying the new series he could add "a 100%+ performance improvement for those with good DX10 cards."

Now that is one hell of a rock solid argument if you ask me, I consider that alone enough to completely abandon the old series and go full throtthle on SF2 series :)

Edited by Brain32

How to make the water look good with Brain32's tiles? Mine looks like it's completely broken.

Column5 made a fix for it on his subforum :)