Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Engine Sounds

Aren't the engine sounds in OFF superb!?

The Hispano on the SE5a is a joy to fire up

Think, we must thank OvS for them - after my Camel carreer, I'll try an S.E.5a too.

Yes, they sound great!

I love the Fokker DR.1 when idling down on an approach to the airfield for a landing. It is amazing.

Agreed! The sounds in this sim, like all other aspects of it, are outstanding.

Cheers!

Lou

the sounds are really really great. the engines, damaged engine, the battlesounds below, the ambience sounds at the airfield, sound of machineguns, of flak, everything. only thing wich is missing, probably because it's impossible to do, is a real doppler-effect when airplanes are flying or mg fire.

whoever made the sounds for BHAH (ovs?) did a hell of a job. :good:

the sounds are really really great. the engines, damaged engine, the battlesounds below, the ambience sounds at the airfield, sound of machineguns, of flak, everything. only thing wich is missing...

is...wait for it...the creaking and straining of the airframe all around you! Engine sounds and machine guns sounds I expect, but the airframe? Pure brilliance.

Yes to all of the above!..... A true moment of awe, is when you have had a rough mission, and you eventually make it back to your field, and taxi over to dispersal...cut your engine..and sit there with sweating hands, fevered brow...and just .... silence...apart from a dog barking in the far distance...a bird tweeting as it swoops over the airfield...and the sound of another aircraft's engine starting up!....... stunning..just stunning!!...and you sit there just thinking "My God..I made it home"

this time!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

And to the list of incredible sounds in the sim, I'll add one more. The rain. I have sat in the cockpit for several minutes just listening to the rain beating on the wings. Unbelieveably real. I felt like I should be getting wetting sitting there. Fabulous fx, guys!

And to the list of incredible sounds in the sim, I'll add one more. The rain. I have sat in the cockpit for several minutes just listening to the rain beating on the wings. Unbelieveably real. I felt like I should be getting wetting sitting there. Fabulous fx, guys!

Ah, another rain nut. I spend hours in various games that have rain, hidden away somewhere (under cover), feeling all cosy with a cup of tea or coffee and a fag. We're not right, are we...? :haha:

But when I put my stereo headphones one.!!! What a difference!!! Fantastic. Most often I have to fly without my headphones so I can hear a telephone, doorbell...or even the wife :clapping: And when I put one the headphones again, i heard the most wonderful engine sounds, rain falling on the wings, wind, and I didn't hear the wife.. :rofl:

Yeah, the wife noises are especially annoying....... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the wife noises are especially annoying....... :rolleyes:

...but immersive!

But when I put my stereo headphones one.!!! What a difference!!! Fantastic. Most often I have to fly without my headphones so I can hear a telephone, doorbell...or even the wife :clapping: And when I put one the headphones again, i heard the most wonderful engine sounds, rain falling on the wings, wind, and I didn't hear the wife.. :rofl:

I always wear the 'phones, and the hell with the doorbell. I'm not home. I'm somewhere over Flanders Fields.

I always wear the 'phones, and the hell with the doorbell. I'm not home. I'm somewhere over Flanders Fields.

Well said! My thoughts exactly.

Engine sound is deafening with good headphones. Very realistic, considering those open cockpits. Easy to damage one's hearing. :biggrin:

The sound fx are excellent indeed. Headphones are great to use. Sometimes I fly with this setup. In front of me I have 2 speakers and a subwoofer powered by an amplifier, a speaker to either side of my monitor. And the chair I sit in has has two speakers at the top of the backrest and a sub-woofer inside the chair as well. This is a gaming chair typically used with console systems but this chair has one more feature. There are some kind of additional gizmos inside the chair to increase the rumble. Some vibrating mechanizm besides the speakers. You know what our crates are made of, well this chair feels like you are sitting in a crate with a motor running. The speaker volume and chair vibration are adjustable by seperate controllers. The steady running of the motor is conveyed to your spine and seat in a most pleasant way and if you have altitude and cut the engine the seat stops vibrating. If an aa shell were then to burst nearby you can feel the percussion of it. You guys hear explosions, I feel them. If you change your throttle you feel it, you can feel how your engine is running. Now I have a force feedback stick and that is great. But this is a force feedback chair that is only missing the g-forces. I can't say it is as good as trackir but with trackir, ffb stick and this chair the flying is super incredibly immersive. I don't own this company but I wish all of you could try this chair I think many of you would then have to have it. It comes on a base but I found the out of box set up to be too low,Made for kids, and I put the chair on an office chair base with wheels which works very nicely now. If you check on these chairs you'll want one on a pedistal and the vibrating motors in addition to the speakers. Why do I sometimes fly with this setup? Because I like to run it loud. Wife has a phone job. She's payin the bills soooo.... Sorry I had no luck finding a link to add. But this chair is not a rocker, I'm too old for that, it's on a pedistal. There seems to be a lot of choices on the net. I happened into mine for very cheap. I share this again as I never see any comments of this type of chair being used in the forum.

Edited by Rickitycrate

The vibration are from Bass Shakers or Butt Kickers. Many Home theater systems use them. I have a set that is going into my gaming unit. Google "bass shakers" to find out more about them. They really add to the immersion factor, some say even more than a FF joystick. :yikes:

Well what I'm talking about is besides the speakers. It is like a rumble/vibration console contoller only bigger. Whatever you call it.

Rickety,

I saw one of those gaming chairs a while back

Looked interesting but I wasn't sure it was PC compatable

What's the Make and Model of yours?

Better to start with something that's proven to work

Thanks in advance,

Well what I'm talking about is besides the speakers. It is like a rumble/vibration console contoller only bigger. Whatever you call it.

The units you're talking about are technically called "transducers" (irrespective of specific brand name). They convert electrical energy into physical energy; whereas speakers are considered to convert electrical energy into acoustical energy. It so happens that, at the lower end of the human range of hearing, the sounds are low enough in frequency that the line between 'hearing' and 'feeling' is blurred.

The lower the frequency of the sound, the more you feel and the less you actually hear. In the 'bottom end' it's hard to effectively move a sufficient volume of air at given pressure to make you feel the bass very well. The speakers only work down to a point as far as the 'rumbling' effect goes. That's why transducers are used in applications like theater sound systems and have been used in simulators of all sorts for decades (anyone remember when the movie Midway first came out, in "Sensurround"<sp>??).

These transducers add to what we'd call 'immersion', by doing what speakers alone just can't do.

Hope that makes sense :)

Edited by Tamper

More on Sensurround (from the MCA/Universal Sensurround Manual):

"The amplifiers that power the electro-acoustic transducers are provided with programmed signals from a specially recorded sound track that contains frequencies below audible range as well as within the lower audible frequency range. The Sensurround electro-acoustic transducers reproduce very low frequency components intentionally recorded on the sound track. These frequencies are too low to reproduce efficiently on theatre speaker systems. "

The sound fx are excellent indeed. Headphones are great to use. Sometimes I fly with this setup. In front of me I have 2 speakers and a subwoofer powered by an amplifier, a speaker to either side of my monitor. And the chair I sit in has has two speakers at the top of the backrest and a sub-woofer inside the chair as well. This is a gaming chair typically used with console systems but this chair has one more feature. There are some kind of additional gizmos inside the chair to increase the rumble. Some vibrating mechanizm besides the speakers. You know what our crates are made of, well this chair feels like you are sitting in a crate with a motor running. The speaker volume and chair vibration are adjustable by seperate controllers. The steady running of the motor is conveyed to your spine and seat in a most pleasant way and if you have altitude and cut the engine the seat stops vibrating. If an aa shell were then to burst nearby you can feel the percussion of it. You guys hear explosions, I feel them. If you change your throttle you feel it, you can feel how your engine is running. Now I have a force feedback stick and that is great. But this is a force feedback chair that is only missing the g-forces. I can't say it is as good as trackir but with trackir, ffb stick and this chair the flying is super incredibly immersive. I don't own this company but I wish all of you could try this chair I think many of you would then have to have it. It comes on a base but I found the out of box set up to be too low,Made for kids, and I put the chair on an office chair base with wheels which works very nicely now. If you check on these chairs you'll want one on a pedistal and the vibrating motors in addition to the speakers. Why do I sometimes fly with this setup? Because I like to run it loud. Wife has a phone job. She's payin the bills soooo.... Sorry I had no luck finding a link to add. But this chair is not a rocker, I'm too old for that, it's on a pedistal. There seems to be a lot of choices on the net. I happened into mine for very cheap. I share this again as I never see any comments of this type of chair being used in the forum.

OK, now I know where you got your name from. :biggrin:

Thanks for the information Tamper. Duce my chair is made by Ace Bayou. My chair is the X ROCKER. They make a lot of these game chairs. I can only vouch for this one and base my recommendation on the fact of the seperate vibration control and function. It also has volume and bass controls. Inputs are standard right/left audio jacks. You will want it to be the pedestal model as well. I just searched online again and apparently my chair has been replaced by a new model the XRockerII. It does not seem to have a pedestal. There is a wireless option also. I can't find my chair anywhere now and a month ago I had no problem finding it at Amazon or Target websites. Good luck.