Sign in to follow this  
Winder

P3 Current Status and the future of OFF

Situational awareness is everything in aerial combat, be it 1917 or 2017. Without Trackir you are utterly defenseless against the enemy. I personally don't see how you could fly BH&H with any degree of success without one, not to mention the numerous other games and sims available that support it. Trackir is worth the price, hands down!

CJ

CJ, before I had trackir I did pretty well and I flew DiD. A generous soul donated a trackir to my cause and I am just now flying DiD campaign with it. I just related the experience in another thread. I knew I had view limitations without TrackIR but using TIR is the best proof of how handicapped you are without it. My situational awareness has now opened up more informed tactical choices I can make.

Regarding TrackIR... It works brilliantly with all MS sims.... It is only a dissapointment in IL2..due to that sim's total lack of 6do..But in OFF, it is sublime!

I have totally dropped IL2 now, because OFF out performs it with it's superior TrackIR views...and I just cannot even face a simulator without my beloved piece of Kit!

If I couldn't use my TrackIR... I would cease flying!...period!...it is THAT important to my enjoyment!

widowmaker,

i have observed you and your put down's of il-2 long enough on two forums now and will leave you with this thought.

when it comes to il-2 you know absolutly nothing of what you are talking about.

you knock the scenery,you knock the fact that trackir isnt supported, well, mabey you should check your facts

befor makeing such careless and reckless statements.

the scenery is SPECTACULAR with BREATHTAKEING water,clouds, and landmass.

Trac-ir is fully operational in 6dof.

The online aspect is second to none.

and for your information just so you can get it right in your future releases there is a world war one addon

to be released in mid summer and you have my word it will be SPECTACULAR.

ITS CALLED MODDING........JUST AS CFS-3 O.F.F. IS MODDED

PD

widowmaker,

i have observed you and your put down's of il-2 long enough on two forums now and will leave you with this thought.

you knock the scenery,you knock the fact that trackir isnt supported, well, mabey you should check your facts

and for your information just so you can get it right in your future releases there is a world war one addon

PD

Amen PD,

Bob,

Granted, UK may not be aware of some of the available enhancements/mods for IL2 1946 that litereally do transform it into something rather brilliant. I think his point was more intended to sing the praises of BHH than it was to engage in a putdown of IL2. No need to take his head off over it.

Cheers guys,

(Hi Frank)

Best regards to both of you.

Parky

Edited by Parky

widowmaker,

PD

PD:

Maybe there is some confusion here about IL2.. If you go to the TrackIR website and look at the flight sim compatibility list, it lists IL2 Sturmovik as only supporting yaw and pitch.. see the page here

Why would they misrepresent it?

I haven't really ever flown CFS3, so I don't know if TrackIR was possible in it from the start, but I suspect that it was. When I installed IL2, I only got pitch and yaw with TrackIR, just as the website says. But when I modded IL2 with the UI 1.1 update, a part of that mod allows you to set the TrackIR in IL2 to 6dof. I've flown it a bit now and it's fully supported, and is very nice in it. In fact, I seem to be able to both lean and look backwards in IL2 to get a full view of my six on each side. Of course, in most of the planes in OFF, I don't have to lean, just turn, and I can see past the rudder a bit on each side.

Someone should perhaps tell Natural Point, although they may not want to list it since it is a mod that allows the 6dof functionality. I don't think they list OFF, just CFS3.

I will say that I don't get the jaggies in IL2 like I do in OFF when using TrackIR. I wish I could figure out how to get rid of those. They are distracting.

Wow, I go away for a couple days and miss out on his thread

Winder, just want to say thanks for the update and I'll buy whatever packages you and the Team offer us

Quality of the product is guranteed by past performance

As far as increasing OFF sales, I like 2 ideas posted here:

1) Package OFF with cfs3

2) Use on-line sellers like Amazon

If I might add to these:

3) Only use sellers that already offer cfs3 (OBD won't need to purchase cfs3 copies)

4) Offer a discount if both sims are bought together, cfs3 @ 1/2 price

5) Include an OFF video link on the sales page (OFF sells itself)

Cheers ...3 of them for the OFF Team,

I haven't really ever flown CFS3, so I don't know if TrackIR was possible in it from the start, but I suspect that it was. When I installed IL2, I only got pitch and yaw with TrackIR, just as the website says. But when I modded IL2 with the UI 1.1 update, a part of that mod allows you to set the TrackIR in IL2 to 6dof. I've flown it a bit now and it's fully supported, and is very nice in it. In fact, I seem to be able to both lean and look backwards in IL2 to get a full view of my six on each side. Of course, in most of the planes in OFF, I don't have to lean, just turn, and I can see past the rudder a bit on each side.

Someone should perhaps tell Natural Point, although they may not want to list it since it is a mod that allows the 6dof functionality. I don't think they list OFF, just CFS3.

I will say that I don't get the jaggies in IL2 like I do in OFF when using TrackIR. I wish I could figure out how to get rid of those. They are distracting.

CFS3 supported TrackIR from the start, 5 out of 6, roll not supported, but it isn't that big a deal. I agree, NaturalPoint should update their site if that's true about IL2, but they do have OFF listed with it's same 5 degree support as CFS3. I just found this forum entry on NaturalPoint.. apparently the UI 1.1 update you mention is fairly new.. any way, it's discussed on the forum for anyone interested in it, just (click here).

Have never heard of getting jaggies in OFF using TIR, most of the players here use TIR and this is the first time I have heard that.. maybe you just have your settings wrong?

Edited by rabu

Man, where are the moderators with their padlocks?

Lemme see if I got this straight....

First, some guy named Hoghead says he won't buy OFF because it only flies well with TIR and he won't (can't?) buy TIR.

And then I respond saying that's not much of an argument because all flight sims are better with TIR.

Then Widowmaker says IL2 doesn't have 6DOF TIR and then PD says yes it does and then it turns into a debate over IL2 -- which has nothing to do with this thread.

Maybe they added 6DOF for IL2 1946. I never bought that version. But I bought all the earlier ones and 6DOF certainly wasn't in any of the other versions and TIR still made them better than using a hat switch.

And now rabu is singing the praises of CFS3, which was a total POS, because it had 5 DOF. And he says he hasn't heard complaints about white jaggles. Well, I get 'em sometimes but it's no big deal.

But who cares?????

The thread is about the future of OFF. Not IL2. NOT CFS3. Not TIR.

It really does get childish around here.

Lock this sucker!

Tony

Edited by tttiger

It is true that there is a mod of IL2 called Over Oleg's Fields due to come out this summer, and I believe that is where the online guys will flock.

Modded versions of IL2 do have 6dof in Track IR, but that said, there are drawbacks to IL2 that are not present in OFF. I have flown campaigns in IL2 (scripted) and have tried to use their dynamic campaign. Both pale in comparison to Campaigns in OFF. Time restraints and the need to "slot" time for OFF online games tend to kill that venue for me. I think that the IL2 mod will be able (hope) fill that niche. There are always trade offs in all games and you do what ya gotta do.

I have fooled with the First Eagles game and tried to make it work, but was disappointed. I even had Wings of War (that one was hard to find) and had fun with the outlandish arcadeness, kinda like crimson skies, but was looking for a game to replace Red Baron 1 and 3D. Off has filled that niche (except for the online thing). I flew RB3d for a very long time offline in campaign mode and absolutely loved it. OFF does the same for me. I realize that OFF will never be IL2 online, but IL2 will never be OFF offline. Online you do not need the terrains, clouds and other niceties that your appreciate in offline flying. Online you make up for it with real person interaction. There is only so much you can personally deal with when flying a sim. You can either talk to other people and stay in formation, etc., or you can operate the controls, use a keyboard, pet the dog, talk to wife, answer the phone and any of the other minutia that happens in your "cockpit". OFF offline is perfect for those of us that love the eye candy, the weather input, the individual plane quirks, that still need to use the pause key to interact with our environment.

Youse guys have done a brilliant job with what is available.

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

Now another county heard from. Over Oleg's Fields and First Eagles and RB3D are tossed into the stew!

And Uncle Al, who never met a thread he didn't like, goes into a song and dance about jaggles.

Sheesh.

I'm gonna go fly one of my cartoon airplanes....

Edited by tttiger

Tony, you do know, right, that you don't HAVE to read these things? :victory:

Now that you mention it, UncleAL, I think I only get the jaggies when I look behind, or behind and down.

And Beard is so right, I think. I've never flown anything that compares with this sim in campaign mode. I always used to get tired of sims after a bit, because after a bit, you've done it all before. I've flown OFF in campaign mode a LOT, and I can't foresee getting tired of it in anything remotely resembling the near future. Shoot, I've mostly only flown Pups. I'm just now getting used to the N17 with my new DiD pilot. I got IL2 for the online MP. I'm looking forward to that, as my experiences with OFF MP were my first of any online flying. It's a hoot. I do think it might help OFF if that aspect of the sim could be addressed, without, of course, a completely new investment from the devs. I know nothing about these things, but suspect that there's a reason MP hasn't been on the front burner during the development. Obviously, the emphasis was on building the best dynamic campaign engine ever, but I've heard that CFS3 had lousy MP to start with.

Tony, you do know, right, that you don't HAVE to read these things? :victory:

LOL. too true!

And I don't have to say: "Guys! You're hijacking the thread. It's called P3 Current status and the future of OFF."

I just can't figure out what any of the past couple dozen posts (including mine) have to do with the subject.

And, no, don't try to respond...

Too funny....

Thanks, griph!

It's GRRRRRRREAT!!!

:moil:

Tony the Tiger

Edited by tttiger

Man, where are the moderators with their padlocks?

Lemme see if I got this straight....

First, some guy named Hoghead says he won't buy OFF because it only flies well with TIR and he won't (can't?) buy TIR.

And then I respond saying that's not much of an argument because all flight sims are better with TIR.

Then Widowmaker says IL2 doesn't have 6DOF TIR and then PD says yes it does and then it turns into a debate over IL2 -- which has nothing to do with this thread.

Maybe they added 6DOF for IL2 1946. I never bought that version. But I bought all the earlier ones and 6DOF certainly wasn't in any of the other versions and TIR still made them better than using a hat switch.

And now rabu is singing the praises of CFS3, which was a total POS, because it had 5 DOF. And he says he hasn't heard complaints about white jaggles. Well, I get 'em sometimes but it's no big deal.

But who cares?????

The thread is about the future of OFF. Not IL2. NOT CFS3. Not TIR.

It really does get childish around here.

Lock this sucker!

Tony

Tony: I think you are going way over board here and exaggerating things.. I never was "singing the praises of CFS3 because it had 5 DOF," I was merely informing Graphos that it did, he seemed to not be aware that it did and he also wasn't aware that OFF was included in the listing at Natural Point. I was trying to tell PD that Widomakers comment would make sense, since Natural Point only shows 2 DOF for IL2 on thieir website supported games list and that that is why he said it. My other comment was that the UI.2 patch for IL2 is apparently a recent addition, which would again throw off any one knowing about it.

Geese.. It seems to me that you are the one getting all bent out of shape, not me and the others. How about calming down and continuing with this thread, instead of trying to get everyone stirred up and throwing insults about, "childish," etc.?

Let's have a true here, or it will get locked, OK? I think your earlier points were well intentioned, just as the others were, I also didn't think it was getting that out of control. I'm certainly not looking for an argument here, nothing to argue really, is there?

Edited by rabu

Yikes ! I'm staying right out of this one ! If you've seen Rabu in action against the likes of fishingnut and buddywoof you know there can only be one winner. He has a tenacity in equal proportion to his artistics talents.

BTW Rab .... I still have your art posters from the P2 days on my wall. And I still love 'em !

Thanks Guys - Gonna lock this as its getting silly.

WM