Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

Star Trek XI

As I'm writing this, I am standing in line to see the 2000 hr show. When I get out I'll post how I enjoyed or not enjoyed it (I'm prety sure I'll enjoy it).

Edited by serverandenforcer

As I'm writing this, I am standing in line to see the 2000 hr show. When I get out I'll post how I enjoyed or not enjoyed it (I'm prety sure I'll enjoy it).

I just came back from seeing it and I loved it start to finsh...talk about refrshing a franchise!

Yes it was just outstanding. Just got back from watching it with my sons. It was that damn good.

By the way, for the 3 of us. It was 46 bucks. $23.50 to get in ($5.00 military discount) then we got a popcorn, and 3 sodas, $22.50.

Just ridiculous.

Great to hear folks....can't wait to see it, everything I've heard (well, except from a very few haters) has been overwhelmingly positive.

FC

First I was a bit sceptic about the "new2 young movie but it is one of the best!, and damn I like the new Soundtrack!

Yes it was just outstanding. Just got back from watching it with my sons. It was that damn good.

By the way, for the 3 of us. It was 46 bucks. $23.50 to get in ($5.00 military discount) then we got a popcorn, and 3 sodas, $22.50.

Just ridiculous.

That's why you gotta sneak in your own drinks and snacks (also part of the fun)! So would a 36 year old enjoy this movie? I'd like to think there's no age if you're a fan, but I'm a Star Wars fan and after the last movie I clearly remember thinking to myself; I'm getting a little old for this.  :dntknw:

I'm planning on seeing it this afternoon to celebrate commissioning. Only heard good things about it so I'm really looking forward to it!

So would a 36 year old enjoy this movie?. :dntknw:

I'm 37 and I thought it was great.

I'm 37 and I thought it was great.

Alrighty, I'll give it go! The reviews look good, I'm guessing if there's one movie to watch on a big screen this one would be it.  :yes:

Just saw it. It was awesome, and I'd highly recommend going.

Just seen it...loved it. Will be seeing it again.

Nuff said.

Singiing altogther now....

Star Trekkin' across the universe,

On the Starship Enterprise under Captain Kirk.

Only going forward 'cause we can't find reverse.

Lt. Uhura, report.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow;

there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, Jim.

Analysis, Mr. Spock.

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it;

it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.

Only going forward, still can't find reverse.

Medical update, Dr. McCoy.

It's worse than that, he's dead, Jim, dead, Jim, dead, Jim;

it's worse than that, he's dead, Jim, dead, Jim, dead.

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it;

Starship Captain, James T. Kirk:

Ah! We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill;

we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men.

Well, it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it;

there's Klingons on the starboard bow, scrape 'em off, Jim.

Only going forward, and things are getting worse!

Engineer, Mr. Scott:

Ye cannot change the laws of physics, laws of physics, laws of physics;

ye cannot cahnge the laws of physics, laws of physics, Jim.

Ah! We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill;

we come in peace, shoot to kill; Scotty, beam me up!

Well, it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it;

there's Klingons on the starboard bow, better calm down!

Ye cannot change the script Jim.

Och, #!*& Jimmy.

It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim.

Bridge to engine room, warp factor 9.

Och, if I give it any more she'll blow, Cap'n!

Only going forward 'cause we can't find reverse.

Only going forward, still can't find reverse.

Sorry Couldn't resist....

Am off to see it this week :lol:

Edited by PACMAN

I grew up with the orginal series in the '60s and 70's. I saw this film Friday. I loved it and thought it was brilliantly done with lots of humor and tieing the strings together. Uhura was little whack chasing the "pointy eared hobgogglin" around, but it "could have happened" and was great.

If your a purest, your probably not going to enjoy certain subplots of the movie. I just came home from watching it, and I must say, the music just didn't do it for me.

***Mild Spoiler Alert***

I liked the movie is some regards, but seeing Kirk go from Cadet to Captain in less then 24 hours isn't a realistic time line. The Movie World simple took the timle line and cut out all the history behind the captain. Sucks when you've followed the series for decades, and IMHO, it makes young kids think they can go from Zero to Hero without putting some hours behind the badge. I'm just not a fan of this. I think they could have stuck to the original much better, and still squeezed everything into the movie.

Anyway, it was very refreshing to see a much more modern Enterprise, as it should be based on today technology rather then 1960's.

Overall I liked the movie on its own merits, just not as a prequel to all the rest of that universe.

M

I just thought of something: this isn't a prequel, it's an alternate history. I guess I can't get too involved with why I thought that without giving away the plot, but based on the events of the movie, it changed things so that technically, everything that happened in the original universe still certainly did happen.

it´s difficult to talk about this movie without give away the plot... :-D I will definatly watch it again..

I just thought of something: this isn't a prequel, it's an alternate history.

Which is why it may disappoint some.

Now, Wolverine was Awesome as a prequel.

I just thought of something: this isn't a prequel, it's an alternate history. I guess I can't get too involved with why I thought that without giving away the plot, but based on the events of the movie, it changed things so that technically, everything that happened in the original universe still certainly did happen.

Maybe I got lost in the film...but I thought it was an alternate history until

the end of the film where the Enterprise slipped through a worm hole or equivalent to the present history so the first series can begin.

Someone help me out here!

Hey come on...no spoilers.

Talk about insensitivity...hee-zoos guys. :dntknw:

OK, for some reason, I couldn't get into CA last night to post my review of the movie. So here it is....

Ultimately, I came out with mixed feelings from it.... kind of a bitter sweet feeling if you know what I mean. The entire movie was great up untill it ended. Without giving away spoilers, I did not think that they would leave everything to end like that. I seriously thought at one point a certain act was going to be taken so that everything that had happened up to that point would have been corrected. That did not happen, and that's why I'm a bit disappointed. I'm definately sure that the hardcore and even the mild trek fans will be yelling heresy at this. The thing is though, this movie wasn't for any of the trek fans (except for those who really don't care with continuity as long as theres a good script - and I'm between that group and the mild trek fans) and I think it is safe to say that for those hardcore and mild fans, the trek that they like and expect to see is dead. This movie was mainly aimed at the JJ Abrams fans and that some how rubs me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I like JJ's work, but I think I'm seeing a bit of egotism from him to where he can do whatever he wants to a genre that was originally created by someone else.

So there it is, my review of the movie. I really thought I was going to like it without any issues. Oh well.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Gotta say JJ Abrams did a near perfect job. Best movie of the year for me. The wife and I saw it on our anniversary-her idea.

I think the plot was perfect because the old Star Trek is left untarnished, unaffected by this new movie. Star Trek desperatelly needed this. People are talking about how amazing the special affects were. Honestly I didn't notice it. I was too involved with the excellent acting and the laughs. Honestly I think this young revitalization of Star Trek is strangley timed to make the new Star Trek MMO a money maker.......just a theory though.

The only way the movie could have been any better was if they snuck an F-14 in there somehow. :biggrin: