Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Free full games

Yes...shock horror!..it's another 'OT' thread!..EEEK

I thought this might interest cash strapped Gamers!

There are a couple of good free full games available to download (ex-commercials) at:- www.gamershell.com

The three I can recommend are:

1) Rise and Fall civilisations at War (a very enjoyable Ancient history RTS...With Greeks, Romans Egyptians and Persians to choose from)...Highly recommended for free...I have the original paid for game...{sigh}

2) Trackmania.... superb fun (though you need steam)...racing game with bizzare tracks!...very addictive gameplay though

3) Volvo..the Game. Havent tried this yet..but certainly looks good!

These are all 100% legal releases... if you note any others that are good...please let me know.

Here are some recommendations from me as well.

Nintendo oldies.

You can play all super mario bros, prince of persia etc. etc.

These were times when REAL games were being developed.

Just tried the Volvo game!..Brilliant Graphics..and if you like racing Volvo's around a track...get it!!!

Did you know that the venerable Elite - which i'm sure most of us dabbled in at one time or another - is now available for Linux, Mac and Windows as Oolite? Some geezer had a VC++ compiler, the urge and time on his hands.

The result? Well, it looks and plays just like Elite, except it's much prettier and has lots of user generated goodies to add to it (open source, I believe).

Find it at http://oolite.org/download. Plenty of commentary and support from a dedicated wiki and discussion site.

Oh yes .. Elite!..will try that!..thanks

A couple more here.....

Space Simulator

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

and a Medieval Hack and Slash...I love this game!!

http://www.taleworlds.com/

There is a buy option on this one..I did, many moons ago..but can't see what the difference is tbh!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Did you know that the venerable Elite - which i'm sure most of us dabbled in at one time or another - is now available for Linux, Mac and Windows as Oolite? Some geezer had a VC++ compiler, the urge and time on his hands.

The result? Well, it looks and plays just like Elite, except it's much prettier and has lots of user generated goodies to add to it (open source, I believe).

Find it at http://oolite.org/download. Plenty of commentary and support from a dedicated wiki and discussion site.

Oh yes I have this and it plays fantastic on my EEPC when on the train etc... reminds me of my youth...

I second themightysrc's recommendation, I d/l'd it last year with loads of the add-ons and spent a month wallowing in happy nostalgia... it's excellent.

Whoa...nice find on the "Oolite"! And did you see the screenshots and add-ons? I'm kinda geeked - I spent many an hour playing Elite on my C-64...or was it my Amiga? Or both?

Anyway...

As payback I will give you two of my fav freebies. Be careful though - I find them very addicting:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

winSPWW2, a turn based wargame based on Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank, covering the years 1930 through 1946.

and

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank, a turn based wargame based on Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank

For playing REALLY OLD games, Dosbox is a great program to have. It has made it possible for me to try again many of the old classics I had on my first PC back in the Neolithic period. Many of them have been released as freeware and can be freely downloaded from several sites, if you don't have the original disks. I've even played Red Baron 1 for a few missions, and all the other Dynamix classic sims of the 90s can be made to run with Dosbox on modern PCs. Things have come a long way from the RB1 days, that's all I have to say on the subject. :biggrin:

Well, I hope this 'OT' thread has been useful to you?

I hope you don't feel as a certain other forum member does about my postings? (and I quote)

"Widowmaker constantly puts up OT threads that have nothing to do with anything except he feels a need to be noticed. Must be very lonely. Kinda sad"

You are of course (as I advised the gentleman in Question) free to NOT view my OT Threads as you see fit. :smile:

And I wholeheartedly apologise for my sad, lonely existance....... pass the revolver with one round please :suicide:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

For playing REALLY OLD games, Dosbox is a great program to have. It has made it possible for me to try again many of the old classics I had on my first PC back in the Neolithic period. Many of them have been released as freeware and can be freely downloaded from several sites, if you don't have the original disks. I've even played Red Baron 1 for a few missions, and all the other Dynamix classic sims of the 90s can be made to run with Dosbox on modern PCs. Things have come a long way from the RB1 days, that's all I have to say on the subject. :biggrin:

Hey Hasse Wind..what's the latest version of Dosbox?...The one game I would LOVE tp play is Strike Commander! (if it's available anywhere?)

I hope you don't feel as a certain other forum member does about my postings? (and I quote)

"Widowmaker constantly puts up OT threads that have nothing to do with anything except he feels a need to be noticed. Must be very lonely. Kinda sad"

You are of course (as I advised the gentleman in Question) free to NOT view my OT Threads as you see fit. :smile:

And I wholeheartedly apologise for my sad, lonely existance....... pass the revolver with one round please :suicide:

Just another attempt at a personal flame war, thwarted with good rebute, ignorance of the issue, and an arrow to the heart. :biggrin: How do you think I feel... referenced to an air disaster. I pray those poor souls on board never knew what hit them, unlike the Korean Air flight that blew out the rear pressure bulkhead, severed all control to the tail (main hydraulic and secondary cable assist), causing it to slowly develop into an uncontrolled Dutch Roll (look it up) over 10 min. Of course... I know nothing about aircraft maintenance.

Anyhow... onwards... my contribution to this great thread... I LOVE emulation. On my thumb drive I keep a seperate folder for housing my emulators.

1. DosBox portable - along with a few classics including Syndicate and the V for Victory series.

2. Nostalgia - classic Intellivision emulator and all the games to boot

3. CCS64 - Classic C64 emulator and a TON of games

4. WinUAE and WinFellow - Amiga emulators. Kickstart ROMs are tough to find, but out there.

5. MESS - covers everything from Colecovision to Vectex and is out there, as are the BIOS files and ROMs.

6. Legacy - Doom, Doom II - mask/launcher - allows you to play ID's Doom in hi-res OpenGL with full head movement. The game is 100% better.

All this stuff is out there, and legal, it the ROMs that you have to find and can be tough.

Over the past 8 years I've built and still own 3 home arcade cabinets all running MAME and other emulators like Dragon's Lair and many other classic consoles A2600, A5200... etc.

If any of you ever need any help on that subject... let me know... It's my 3rd favorite hobby next to working on my 66 Nova Wagon, making skins for OFF and working on my house.

All the best... GREAT thread Widow.. this is really a good one. :good:

OvS

hey wid, you just keep on going as you always did. there are enough forums outside where you almost have to apologize if you post something. this forum has soul and a spirit because of members like you, and this is how it should be :clapping:

And I wholeheartedly apologise for my sad, lonely existance...

Damn!...and it seemed like you were having so much fun

All I want is an old version of Harpoon to play... any ideas?

- wings

- power at sea

- barbarian

- maniac mansion

- jeanne d'arc

- defender of the crown

- monkey island

- elvira

that were games i would love to see again :yes:

oh yeah and Carrier Command remember that on the old Amiga...

oh yeah and Carrier Command remember that on the old Amiga...

Has anyone found the original version of "break out" with out all the dressed up additions, etc., and one that will play on XP? That's the arcade game with the balls bouncing around and you try to build walls to contain them.

Thank you guys!...I shall dig out a few more..I need to check they are still available first.

(can't stop blasting around in that Volvo!..heehee)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Where is this guy.. let'me attem.. comon, comon.. :biggrin:

Seriously, not to worry, sounds like one of those chaps who stands in the corner at a party and criticizes others for socializing, when in fact, the problem is he can't think of anything to say. I know everyone here always enjoys your posts, Widowmaker, thanks.

Matrixgames offers several freebies for the strategy player:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=149

and if you're into baseball, they just offered up PureSim Baseball 2007

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/581/PureSi...ilable.for.Free!

The Matrixgames forums had a similar (free games) thread way back. If you want to sort through the thread, there are many freebies listed. Mostly strategy type games, but free. Some examples, Field of Strategy, Free Civilization, and more...

Edited by steve58

If you are seriously into space and physics the best free space simulator has to be "orbiter". You can find it here:

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

No laser guns and no fighting though. Kinda like the FS of space. But there is a lot more science involved so I did not have the courage to get involved. There seems to be a community with lots of addons though.

Thank you guys!...I shall dig out a few more..I need to check they are still available first.

(can't stop blasting around in that Volvo!..heehee)

Our thanks to your endeavours in this... so we will forgive you driving a Volvo... :rofl: