Sign in to follow this  
pistitom

Darker night & night vision

BTW, is there any info on the release date for the new F-14? I hope it will playable in WOE as well, although I presume it will be created for SFF2...or perhaps I'm wrong? And greetings for the author in advance :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Just an idea....could the TV-screen type of display ( like the F-117 or the Maverick targeting sys.) be used as night vision? It should be modified as to appear on the whole screen...Is it a stupid idea? :biggrin::dntknw::biggrin:

Heres an idea, can we put a fake "maverick sensor" in the pilot position and count the entire screen as a display. that way it might be able to have NV out of the pit, but im not sure about inside. I have used excess mavericks as night vision to land an A-6 before, so it might work

well, theoretically it could work ( I"m not a modder, don't know....) in case it's not a sensor in any sense....You could have problems when carrying mavericks....I really don't know :dntknw: ....

That technique would require that armament of an optically guided weapon to be attached to the aircraft to use NV. This would only work while looking forward. The minute you turn or tilt your head, you'll be seeing the rest of the world in regular vision. Further more, when not using this NV method during day time flight, or when the optically guided weapon is no longer attached, you'll end up having a big blank screen in front of you, blocking your view of the cockpit. So in other words... bad idea.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Yeah, thought there would be trouble....well, maybe one day....anyway, some questions off topic ( didn't want to start yet another one)

1. stupid question...what on earth does red crown mean with : angels 0, 10, 20, and why does she always say 50 ( or 15 ??) miles??? And why does she say 'no bogies in the area', when I ask for direction although I know there are ,just don't want to look at the map to find them ( too unrealistic..)...

2. The Super Hornet ATFLIR doesn't seem to work, almost near the target the display doesn't change to the TV lock-on screen...am I doing sg wrong? I have only Paveway as loadout...(apart from Maverick) ...did I miss sg essential?? THX

1. angels = Altitude in thousands of feet ( "Angels 30" equals 30000 feet). Not sure what you mean about the miles thing, that's pretty self explanatory. The 'no bogies' in area is because until you get within a certain distance, some enemies won't be 'visible'. It's a minor bug...and I've usually seen it match what's on the map.

2. Read the readme included with the download.

FC

thx for the info...with the 'miles' I meant no matter how far the target ( or enemy plane ) was she kept saying this...fifty or fifteen ( can't really understand )

As for the ATFLIR, I read everything ( I know about the 1.5 square distance ), well, I guess I missed something...will read again :blush:

ok, THX a lot

Oh, okay. The miles thing means that if the target is more than 50 miles away, she will only say 50 miles. Once the target she is calling out gets within 50 miles, she will start using smaller increments (I think she uses 50, 25, 10, 5...something like that).

FC

Yeah, thought there would be trouble....well, maybe one day....anyway, some questions off topic ( didn't want to start yet another one)

1. stupid question...what on earth does red crown mean with : angels 0, 10, 20, and why does she always say 50 ( or 15 ??) miles??? And why does she say 'no bogies in the area', when I ask for direction although I know there are ,just don't want to look at the map to find them ( too unrealistic..)...

2. The Super Hornet ATFLIR doesn't seem to work, almost near the target the display doesn't change to the TV lock-on screen...am I doing sg wrong? I have only Paveway as loadout...(apart from Maverick) ...did I miss sg essential?? THX

It's just how it's setup. Personally at first I was annoyed.. but really even then you are looking at terrain from miles away, and with no real zoom capability I let it go. Now when you're talking about optical or EOGBs or EOGRs (Mav, SDB) then you will get the zoom, but roughly 7 or 8 miles TW distance (roughly a 1.5 squares rule of thumb) with LGBs and Laser Mavs it works that way. Not sure why but I figure around that distance it's tolerable since targeting pods aren't as well modeled in the game as it is. I mean it would be nice to be able to move it around, a good distance out and select and do all the fun stuff real pilots, and virtual pilots have done with pods (Jane's F-18 for example), but the TW engine doesn't support it.

anyone any info on the new F-14??? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I'm going slightly maaad..

Good thing Red Crown does not give directions using "Bullseye" like in Falcon 4.

Good thing Red Crown does not give directions using "Bullseye" like in Falcon 4.

LOL, that's right....

anyone any info on the new F-14??? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I'm going slightly maaad..

There could be. But it won't be in this thread.

Whoa, something really peculiar is going on....it's not just the ATFLIR that's not working....it seems ALL my AG weapons / targeting pods have lost their ability to lock on target....First I thought I did sg wrong ( gameplay was set to hard ) but then with normal difficulty it was the same....which file is responsible for this? Any ideas? I just had the game reinstalled, the thought of doing that again.... :shok:

Guys, 1000 apologies for the previous posts, I'm such an idiot, didn't think that to lock on a ground target one has to push some extra buttons, evreything's working fine... :rofl::blush::shok:

:good:

Ok, here's a new one :biggrin:

Some black frame-like thing around and two smaller ( or one bigger ) diameter 'visors' (shape-form is indifferent) in which the flight/ env.sys. ambient light and other parameters are changed in order to get the 'night vision' feel (change the rgb values, the specular and other light values etc...) and a new view added to the viewlist, cockpit view class...and when switching among views, one of them could be the nv...which obviously would be of use only at night... :yes: ...

Can this work?

By editing the enviroments .ini file in the flight mods folder you can getting pitch black sky and darker terrain. I love it now!

just edit the night section and set the sky to 0.000 0.000 0.000 and the ambient light to lower values.

This leads to the next question: is there a nice and quick way to edit the cockpit lighting to make the cockpit redder at night?

and what about landing lights at night? :)

Lucky, in addition to Enviro ambient control, you also can control the general brightness of terrain in isolation ... with no effect on objects, just terrain.

In whatever terrain_DATA.ini file, in the [Materials] section, is...

[NormalTextureMaterial]

:

:

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.0000000

:

:

Ambient controls the terrain tiles' colour (along with Water tex block), and Diffuse controls the colour of the sunlit sunside slopes. I try to maximize the latter effect, especially near sunset, keeping Diffuse always 1,1,1 but making Ambient darker. I have not seen any effect by modifying the last number, just the first three numbers (Red, Green, Blue).

I used to go into a photopaint program and darken all my tiles, and then do it again until I was happy, and then do it all again when I changed my Enviro lighting. But terrain_DATA allows a one step control in one swift stroke. :good:

Thank´s Miracing from simh

http://simhq.com/for...tml#Post3199189

We did that about 3 years ago. Its not a useful as it seems. Just pretty looking. What the end results was that we could have different cockpit colors lights too boot..

We've known about that for a while...problem is that it stays that way during the day too.

FC