Sign in to follow this  
SirMike1983

Aldis Sight

Does anyone else here dislike the Aldis sight in the Se5a and the British Nieuport? I seem to have much better luck with ironsights, or even open sights (like N.11).

I'm shooting without any gunsights - you should know/feel, where the tracers will go,

otherwise, you could never do deflection shooting.

I'm shooting without any gunsights - you should know/feel, where the tracers will go,

otherwise, you could never do deflection shooting.

Which is why I don't like the Aldis-- it has a blind spot around the frame so that the target is obscured just as the moment you're sighting in.

Open sights for me.

How do you get around the Aldis in the British N.17?

Thankfully the SE5 has the iron sight and I can just slide over to that by F6 or the TrackIR. But the British 17 seems to have no way around it.

Does anyone else here dislike the Aldis sight in the Se5a and the British Nieuport?

Yet another thing designed by a person who never had to use it.

The sights just get in the way. I prefer the SE5a viper for that very reason. Better view behind you as well without the head rest.

Hellshade

Also on the Brisfit, the Aldis is way over to the right side and completely useless. If I was really flying this craft, I'd remove it to save weight.

I think my favorite so far is the Camel iron sight, right in the middle, no messing around.

Also on the Brisfit, the Aldis is way over to the right side and completely useless. If I was really flying this craft, I'd remove it to save weight.

I think my favorite so far is the Camel iron sight, right in the middle, no messing around.

Likewise on the N.17 I'd dump it and replace with ironsight, or even none at all. I want to fly the British N.17, but simply can't because just as I go to line up, the enemy disappears, obscured by the Aldis. Ths French version with the iron sight and Vickers-- a different story.

Edited by SirMike1983

SirMike, I think the Viper version uses a simple Iron Sign

Try 74 Squadron

Anyone know of a DVII that has an Iron Sight installed

It's just wide open between the Spandaus

At least the Pfalz had a little cone that helped

This all begs the question: did they actually use the Aldis, or just quietly do a field modification and remove it?

I must say I also prefer more open sights than the Aldis, but I've gotten used to it in the Brit Nupe. And the one they have in SE.5 isn't too bothersome either. Haven't tested the later versions so can't say much abot them. But the German cockpits give the best overall visibility most of the time, and they don't have any telescopes dangling in front of my eyes. That being said, I think the German planes in OFF are missing some of the gunsights they used historically during the war. At least I've seen them in pictures and some replica WW1 fighters.

maybe the gunsights, the need to get very close to the enemies rear and aldis thing is very necessary if one has NO tracerbullets.

imagine you would play the sim without seeing tracers and trailersmoke and all the stuff. deflection shooting would be much harder and the waste of ammo would be much more. i think that you would be happy to have aids like this if you can't see your bullets. since i think that tracers were not used in early war besides ballonbusters, and not everybody used it in midwar, the aids are made for those. the habit of everbody using tracers increased within the time and made those aids maybe less necessary.

I prefer Aldis sight.

I have no trouble with the Aldis sight. I use it even in deflection shooting. It's just another aim point for me, but you do have to keep it centered if you're using trackir or it'll throw you off. Like Hasse Wind, I too have seen pictures of German fighters with similar sight tubes on them.

One aspect of this sim is, in order to play it effectively as in real life, it's best to fly one plane for a long time and get used to it's characteristics, equipment, etc., fly for one squadron, get used to the operational area. It's all part of the immersion of this sim. You'll become proficient just as they did, and if you jump around a lot, you probably won't.

maybe the gunsights, the need to get very close to the enemies rear and aldis thing is very necessary if one has NO tracerbullets.

imagine you would play the sim without seeing tracers and trailersmoke and all the stuff. deflection shooting would be much harder and the waste of ammo would be much more. i think that you would be happy to have aids like this if you can't see your bullets. since i think that tracers were not used in early war besides ballonbusters, and not everybody used it in midwar, the aids are made for those. the habit of everbody using tracers increased within the time and made those aids maybe less necessary.

I totally agree. You have to have a point of straight aim if you don't see tracers. The tube is one way, the ring and bead alignment is another. I've seen that with Track IR I can align my sight quicker with the Aldis, than to bring the ring and bead of the iron sight in alighnement. First you have to see straight and then you can calculate any deflection needed. But then again I do fly the SE5a more that the others and quite got used to it.

I have had no trouble with the Aldis sight of the Se5a. But with the N17 Lewis...that's another story. It is a quite different tube which obscures the vision much more than the one in the Se5.

I agree with Gous and others here. I like the Aldis on the SE5a, but NOT on the N17. Also, here is an interesting excerpt from the "Gunning for the Red Baron" by Leon Bennett.

aldis_sight_gunning_for_the_red_baron.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

The French also had a collimating sight (not telescopic) similar to the Aldis, called the 'Collimateur Chretien', and there were several optical sights made by Zeiss, Goertz, and Busch but the one most often seen on German WWI aircraft would either be a captured Aldis (or Chretien) sight or the Oigee tubular sight. I believe this may have had 3x magnification, but suffered from 'fogging' (unlike the Aldis sight, that was filled with an inert gas or mixture of gasses to prevent this).

See this link for further details, including a technical drawing of the German Oigee sight and a photo of the view through an Aldis sight:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/other-ww...l-gunsight.html

The Aldis sight appears to have been popular with pilots, as they did not have to get their eye directly behind the sight to use it (as in a ring-and-bead sight) and could keep the other eye open, thus maintaining peripheral vision and situational awareness. It continued in use for some time after the war, I think, so it can't have been that bad.

Early 'open' sights used by both the Allied and Germans appear to have been square rather than round (more box-and-bead than ring-and-bead).

Bletchley

Edited by Bletchley

Lot of great stuff here

I never liked the Se Aldis much

It takes up too much visual area

But not having to align o the sight would be a big advantage in a hot DF

The Aldis sight appears to have been popular with pilots, as they did not have to get their eye directly behind the sight to use it...

Great post! This and RAF_Louvert's article. There's a lot more going on than I suspected with this sight...tho' I remain grateful that I've never had to use one. Never realized that the pilot had to lean forward and put his eye right up to it. That's something we can't do. [maybe RoF will sort this one out for us.] It's hard to understand, at this distance in time, why pilots embraced it, given it's drawbacks, but...I guess you had to be there.

Hmmm the N.17 version is very difficult to use in the game. I'll gladly take any tips from people who successfully use the Aldis in the 17-- my only thought at this point, given how it behaves in the game, is to get VERY close to the enemy until he totally fills the Aldis and then open up.

Hmmm the N.17 version is very difficult to use in the game. I'll gladly take any tips from people who successfully use the Aldis in the 17-- my only thought at this point, given how it behaves in the game, is to get VERY close to the enemy until he totally fills the Aldis and then open up.

The Aldis sights in OFF have no optics and are more for the modelling of the sight than its function alas.

As you can see it was actually a great device.

Well maybe in P56 - ca release 2020 we might have a fully functional optical sight but somehow I doubt it!

HTH

WM

The Aldis sights in OFF have no optics and are more for the modelling of the sight than its function alas.

As you can see it was actually a great device.

Well maybe in P56 - ca release 2020 we might have a fully functional optical sight but somehow I doubt it!

HTH

WM

Alright-- that sounds like a fair assessment. I don't recall anything in CFS3 even providing for optics in sights (probably not in the engine at ell even?). I'll give getting really close a try and see how it goes.