Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

What Does Your Cockpit Look Like?

Good Morning All,

You may have had this discussion before, but I could not locate it so I thought I would get it rolling. How do you have your "cockpit" set up for flying? Here is how mine is currently configured.

The extension over to the right is something I added several years ago and it works very well as it firmly supports the joystick at a comfortable location and provides a home for the mouse, as well as maps and logs I might need to keep at the ready, (and of course it works well for supporting my coffee cup to boot).

So then, tell us all about yours.

Cheers!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert

I need to tidy up a bit before I get a new pic of my cockpit.

I might add though, that after my last keyboard suffered greatly at the hands of a cup of coffee, and the panic that ensued attempting to get it going, not succeeding, digging out an old one etc...

and the fact that I just paid $AUS340 for my new keyboard (yes, that's right, not a typo - a Logitech G-19 Gaming Keyboard). Coffee DOES NOT share a desk with my keyboard, but sits kinda behind me.

Makes me forget about it sometimes, consequently, I drink cold coffee, but I'm not making that mistake with this computer and keyboard.

I can't help thinking how...intimate...we are becoming here...what's your nationality? Ethnicity? Pics of your hometown? Pics of your cockpit? But that's a good thing. All warm and fuzzy.

Edited by Steve Drew

Interesting.. why do you guys have your case on the desk, why not on the floor, out of the way so you have more desk room?

rabu, I can't speak for the others, but my main tower sits on the desk because I have two others on the floor already. And yes, they are all being used. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

And mine.

Note the TrackIR hat on the left, my squadron boards (Left side - my squadron pilots; right side - enemy squadrons and planes [see Olham's notebook thread for further explanation]).

Twin Keyboards (can watch YouTube clips on the bottom one if I get bored).

Saitek X-52 Flight Control System Joystick and throttle, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals on the floor.

Logitech G-19 Gaming Keyboard.

24" HD BENQ E2400HD monitor.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 CPU.

Kingston 4GB DDR2 800 RAM.

3300GB 10KRPM SATA Hard Disk.

Nvidia 1.792GB GTX295 PCI Express Card.

Inwin Miditower case with high wattage output and cooling fans.

Dual layer DVD-RW.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer.

Cambridge 5.1 Speaker System.

MS Windows XP Pro.

(Still waiting on my Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset and Logitech G9x Laser Mouse).

(Oh.BTW. On wall behind the desk and also on the left wall...signed limited edition lithographs, all of Erich Hartmann - highest scoring fighter pilot of all time).

LOVE my "Office"!

Edited by Steve Drew

.... why do you guys have your case on the desk, why not on the floor, out of the way so you have more desk room?......

The floor is a much more dusty environment. Less dust and dirt are sucked into your machine if it's positioned on the desk rather than under it. Pics of my 'pit tomorrow.

rabu, I can't speak for the others, but my main tower sits on the desk because I have two others on the floor already. And yes, they are all being used. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Very interesting, why do you need more then one computer? I'm just curious, it's very interesting to see how everyone has their setups.

Interesting.. why do you guys have your case on the desk, why not on the floor, out of the way so you have more desk room?

To keep dust levels down and airflow up. Besides, if I stash it down on the floor next to the desk you wouldn't be able to see all of the pretty LEDs, chrome pipes on the CPU cooler, or the chrome heat spreaders on the memory! I've already had a few folks get me to order them a case and transfer all of the insides of their machines after looking at it.

Didn't get it focused, but recognisable, I hope.

lol...damn olham,,,hope things are sharper when your flying!!

Edited by sitting_duck

Here's my setup.

Home built computer.

I do graphics work so I need desk space. The pull out drawer hold my keyboard, mouse, stick and my Wacom tablet. On the left is my HP wide format printer. The 22" monitor is on an arm so I can turn it around to face the drafting table back to back to the computer desk. Below the monitor is an old Nakamichi ZX7 that I've been using to slowly get my hundreds of cassettes transferred over to digital files. On the right is an Epson scanner and the speakers are Klipsch THX 2.5

desk_resize.jpg

Here's a shot of the adjustable monitor arm.. really usefull

screen%20arm_resize.jpg

I built two shelves on each side of the desk to hold the Klipsch woofer, modem, back up battery, back up hard drives and the computer case. It's a rat's nest of wires under there!

Getting them off the floor solves the dust problem and saves me valuable desk top space. I open up the case and dust it out about once a year.

under%20cab_resize.jpg

Left side:

under%20cab%20lft_resize.jpg and right side: under%20cab%20rt_resize.jpg

Edited by rabu

Beautifully set up in a nice room, Rabu!

Didn't get it focused, but recognisable, I hope.

Well it seems you have enough cafe for long playing over the night till morning :)

It's a bit dark in the cave and I have no flash, but there you go.gallery_44027_334_387138.jpggallery_44027_334_179597.jpg

HomeBoy, could that be a Mustang D on your screen?

FenrisWlf, long time no see!

Now I'm just waiting for the first picture of a real WW1 aircraft cockpit that somebody has modified just for playing OFF! :biggrin:

HomeBoy, could that be a Mustang D on your screen?

FenrisWlf, long time no see!

There could be indeed! That's Aces High.

Good eye there Olham!

<S>!

And I always thought, "Aces high" was an older WW1 sim (named after the film)?

Is it good as a WW2 sim, with nice campaign?

Now I'm just waiting for the first picture of a real WW1 aircraft cockpit that somebody has modified just for playing OFF! :biggrin:

Yea, I'm surprised we haven't seen that yet!

Really nice setups, everyone. Some of you have some really fancy equipment.. pedals, throttle controls, etc. :ok: I've only got an old MS Sidewinder Precesion 2 and Track IR3, but OFF looks great on this screen and sounds incredible.

And I always thought, "Aces high" was an older WW1 sim (named after the film)?

Is it good as a WW2 sim, with nice campaign?

Aces High is an on-line game, it has no campaign really its more of a "capture the flag" kind of setup where there are 3 sides and each one tries to dominate the game by owning all or most all the airfields of the other guys. They do have an axis vs allies server for more "historic" settings and they run "Friday night Squad Operations" a squadron only historical setup that runs for about 3 fridays in a row then they put up a new one.

You can check it out for free if ya want Olham, just go to Hitechcreations.com and dl the game (which is free) and they give you a free 2 week trial to try it out.

They make their money off the subscription price of 15 bucks a month (like AW was only more in the good ole days)

Hasse Wind wrote:

Now I'm just waiting for the first picture of a real WW1 aircraft cockpit that somebody has modified just for playing OFF!

I have been working out the controls over the last year for that very thing, and when I get the small spare bedroom upstairs to call my own I will begin the build of my full-scale WW1 cockpit gaming center. :yes:

Cheers!

Lou

Show me yours, I'll show you mine. Okay, here's my current modest crate office. Pretty standard stuff or even subpar. Inexpensive surround sound amp, Rocker chair with rumble and 3 speakers,Wingman Force 3D stick, Trackir w/hat, the laptop that runs it all, movie poster from the net,cordless key board/mouse and my thrustmaster pedals that I have yet to get operational. Oh yes, that bottle of liquid courage. Thanks guys for showing you setups. I really liked seeing your offices and feeling that I know you each a little better. You're all aces in my book.... it's in some of the pics.

Geeze, Jim - that's what I call a WW1 air combat sim battle station.

All there, even a bottle of "Castor Oil" to keep the crate aloft!

Very cosy place!

Edited by Olham