Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Army Strong!

Is this the new IED body armor?

well, if it is not...i think the guy just exagerated in McDonnalds.

yeah well with two wars going on recruiting standards have gone down. evidence is in the fact they have a size of combat shirt that fits the guy. also looking at the patch i am pretty sure he's guard. many that i have personally met had attitude of "i'm a civilian in a uniform." not all but many of them.

I stopped by the national gaurd armory in santa rosa california a few years back and I was appalled at the slopiness of most of these boots. I grew up on various army bases in the 60's, and the guy that came draggin thru the door at that armorie with his untied bootlaces and unbuttoned blouse would have never seen the end of kp in the real army,,

not that this has anything to do with the actual theme of the post,

and to think I was discharged AFROTC because I was 2 lbs over the limit......

and to think I was discharged AFROTC because I was 2 lbs over the limit......

Hah, I have shin splints (still :sad:) and they still won't rule me out! Difference between us and you guys is that we have some serious shortages in man power.

Guys,

Before anyone gets too spun up...I would remind you that there is something called Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). Basically, you could be called up (or volunteer), even though you have been separated completely out of the military life for some time.

Depending if this guy had a particular specialty that the US Army was critically short of, they may have more or less simply activated him, threw a uniform on him and shipped him to the desert with a waiver because his he's an expert in a particular field.

Yes, it's scary to see in general (ick) but if he's right at the beginning of his IRR service, the Army has time to get him back into fighting shape...assuming he doesn't die of a heart attack beforehand!

FC

on the IRR bit i had a soldier in iraq who was an IRR callup. he was a cook. most of the IRR sent overseas doesn't seem so much about military specialty as putting bodies into slots(or this guys case two) i have also met plenty of soldiers at bragg particularly doctors who were called up to replace someone active duty who had deployed. back to my original statement i've been active duty for 13 years now. i remember people getting put out during the clinton years for failing to lose 10 pounds and not missing tape by 1-2%. or failing 2 pt tests in a row. then along came two wars and the army needed manpower. entry requirements got lowered and you have all the time in the world to lose weight if you fail to meet the standard. fail a pt test and you'll keep getting a diagnostic every week until you pass. it's starting to get fixed now that the army is surpassing its recruiting goals again but it will take a while to fix.

and sorry if i seem a..h...ish about it but as a Non Commissioned Officer United States Army i've been irritated about this since seeing the picture. either the guy needs more self control in KBR's dfacs or if he was like that when he reported his chain of command shouldn't have deployed his butt. one look at the pic and you can tell that ain't muscle.

Typical "Guard Tard". My experience with training these bozos is either he is the nephew of the battalion commander, thus untouchable. Or he might even be the civilian boss of one of his officers. Once again he would be untouchable. That photo makes me sick I want to puke. My official retirement date is 31 AUG 09. Boy am I glad. Our Army,I am sad to say, is nothing of what it was just 10 or 12 years ago.

"Our Army,I am sad to say, is nothing of what it was just 10 or 12 years ago. "

brother ain't that the truth. i've been seeing stuff this deployment that boggles my freakin mind. the day after we hit green ramp i see doc to start my med board proceedings. day after reintegration i start acap. only thing keeping me in past 28 oct 10 is if doc wants to cut on my back. there are still some good joes out there. but theres gotten to be to much tolerance for the bad ones.

It's not the first one either, saw one on Facebook much worse.... unfortunately with most of the Guard/IRR being called up... it's bound to be seen. And by looking at the patches... definitely Guard/Reserve. I mean there are some biggin's (myself included) but well... not as common, and it's jacked up to think the US Army is all that. Thanks STORM, really appreciate it :good:

I've seen these big boys in every branch and component. It's just a matter of the chain of command and situation. The National Guard does a fantastic job so lets not tear them up too much because of a few gluttons. Daddyairplanes probably got it right by saying that fatass is an IRR call up. Sometimes you have to swallow some bitter pills to get the job done and fat usually isn't forever.

He's also not the only Army NCO on CA either. The fact I mentioned the patches (the sytlized Indian one on their uniforms) should have given you a clue, as well as the 1ID patch as my avatar and on my sig. I don't display them out of civilian love, just some pride that's all.

Besides, making cracks against opposing branches can, and will get out of hand, so I'm not trying to spark an all services fight over an ugly fact about Army life. It's there and will continue to be, and most of us know there are biggins in all branches :wink:

ah knew they were WA NG but not the brigade or the Cali part. we tend to get lotta guard pass through bragg and bein your friendly nieghborhood cook i see and talk to alot of them.

btw ericj are you still in afghan? i see the ft hood but some of your comments thru the last few weeks had me confused

It's not the first one either, saw one on Facebook much worse.... unfortunately with most of the Guard/IRR being called up... it's bound to be seen. And by looking at the patches... definitely Guard/Reserve. I mean there are some biggin's (myself included) but well... not as common, and it's jacked up to think the US Army is all that. Thanks STORM, really appreciate it :good:

Eric, dont feel bad about that fat tard, I have a guy in my unit here that is too big for cammies, he is about to blow the buttons off em. Everyone thinks the Marine Corps is slim and strong, and most are, but hell, i have a little spare tire, but not crappy in uniform, and like u said, there are biggins in all branches.

Wow... Just wow. I want to know how that guy get in the MRAP with his combat load on. Looks like a TOC rat to me! Thank GOD I'm not fat anymore. I had to work for it, but it was sooo worth it. (Posting before and after pic.)

post-64-1249707629_thumb.jpg

post-64-1249707652_thumb.jpg

I posted the picture as a joke. I sure as hell know that most of the Army isn't like that. I watch and point out the fatties in AF ABUs AND Army ACUs all the time here, as they pile it on in the DFAC.

The AF is the source of many jokes for other services and we take it in stride. Don't go and get worked up about it.

Delete the thread if it's that bad.

The AF is the source of many jokes for other services and we take it in stride.

You should see of the fatties here in my Reserve unit.

I posted the picture as a joke. I sure as hell know that most of the Army isn't like that. I watch and point out the fatties in AF ABUs AND Army ACUs all the time here, as they pile it on in the DFAC.

The AF is the source of many jokes for other services and we take it in stride. Don't go and get worked up about it.

Delete the thread if it's that bad.

Ehh I'll be allright man, just having a long day yesterday that's all :smile:

Oh I'm definitely out of 'stan, thank god :good:

ok. six more months (knock on wood). but had fam emergency in june so no more r+r to look forward to. :ohmy:

Sorry to hear of your family probs and your 6 months left in country. I've got 8 days, then I'm outta here. Freedom bird to BWI.