Sign in to follow this  
DWCAce

Lockerbie bomber most likely getting out

if there is real evidence that this piece of human debris was not involved in the bombing, it needs to be presented in a hearing. Unsubstantiated references to the alleged existence of some "evidence" or "doubt" is merely an empty assertion without such a hearing.

so if there is cause for review of the findings of a trial, put up or shut up.

It is noteable that here in the US, the entire political spectrum is revolted by this travesty. Even The Audacious One is critical of this release in the face of the evidence presented at the trial. So when the entire political spectrum of this country is revolted by the despicable cowardice in the face of the murder of 270 innocent people, you who express doubt in the guilt of the guilty should take note.

but if that's how Scotland wants to play this...............

I don't think it's Scotland per se, but I think the doubt stemmed from US officials at the time were pushing to get a conviction, make an example that should someone commit a crime as heinous as this, the full weight of the US's judicial might would be thrown at them (It wasn't just US political interference, Whitehall has been accused of that too but seems to be the US who's getting it the most.)

I can understand their motivations for wanting to bring him to justice and so quickly, but there are UN observers who say that political influence affected almost every aspect of the trial and prosecution and in some cases took precedence over the rule of law. That a key witness(s?) was unreliable at least. I mean, if he is a responsible party, hang him high, if he's not, then "Brotherly Leader" would have ensured we'll never find who is.

There is one little thing that I can't seem to shake. K, say I commit a particularly nasty crime, I go to trial, I get sentenced for life, how is it there can be talk of me getting paroled in 20 years?? I thought life was exactly that -- Life. I don't understand this bit of the guy's sentence. How can he have been expected to serve at least 20 years of his sentence before being paroled? I though once you got life, that's it, you aren't coming out unless it's in a body bag in a coroner's wagon.

Oh the news was just lovely, gave him a heroes welcome. A leopard never changes it spot. Good job Scotland!

Oh the news was just lovely, gave him a heroes welcome. A leopard never changes it spot. Good job Scotland!

Not Scotland... I certainly dont remember being asked!

As to the reports of 6/10 of the UK popullation believing he is inocent, I've yet to speak to one person that thinks he should have been released. Some retartd at the top decided to relese him not the Scottish people.

Yes there may well have been "issues" with the trial however if that was the reason behind his release why the hell did it take 10 years and a failed apeal.

Also Saywhat, sadly the term "Life" in the UK means nothing of the sort. There have been cases of convicted murderers being back on the street within 4 years thanks to "first offence", "good behaviour" or overcrowding. The whole system is bursting at the seams and the gov. is to tight fisted/retarded to build more prisons.

Craig

Not Scotland... I certainly dont remember being asked!

As to the reports of 6/10 of the UK popullation believing he is inocent, I've yet to speak to one person that thinks he should have been released. Some retartd at the top decided to relese him not the Scottish people.

Yes there may well have been "issues" with the trial however if that was the reason behind his release why the hell did it take 10 years and a failed apeal.

Also Saywhat, sadly the term "Life" in the UK means nothing of the sort. There have been cases of convicted murderers being back on the street within 4 years thanks to "first offence", "good behaviour" or overcrowding. The whole system is bursting at the seams and the gov. is to tight fisted/retarded to build more prisons.

Craig

Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill, who announced the release, said although al-Megrahi had not shown compassion to his victims — many of whom were American college students flying home to New York for Christmas — MacAskill was motivated by Scottish values to show mercy.

Let me rephrase that, not Scotland, but that moron.

MacAskill was motivated by Scottish values to show mercy.

Guess the guy doesn't know about Scottish history. :lol:

if there is real evidence that this piece of human debris was not involved in the bombing, it needs to be presented in a hearing. Unsubstantiated references to the alleged existence of some "evidence" or "doubt" is merely an empty assertion without such a hearing.

so if there is cause for review of the findings of a trial, put up or shut up.

I'm not saying Libya and that guy are innocent.

I can't go and won't further than what you can find in papers or studies when digging a little bit, but some hypothesis are actually facts. More details and facts expose me to some clearance papers I signed...

I frankly don't know about Libya's role and this guy innocence. What I'm sure of is that Gaddafi was furious to be scapegoated alone for this, leaving the two other bastards alone. That's perfectly the sort of thing the bastard hates, and when the Nurses were in his jails, he permanently linked their fates with Meghrahi's. It's pretty obvious: they waited two years to jam the tracks in the eye of the opinion, but his release is clearly an exchange for the nurses.

It is noteable that here in the US, the entire political spectrum is revolted by this travesty. Even The Audacious One is critical of this release in the face of the evidence presented at the trial. So when the entire political spectrum of this country is revolted by the despicable cowardice in the face of the murder of 270 innocent people, you who express doubt in the guilt of the guilty should take note.

Hell... nobody cares here. It's frightening, I'm really concerned about my country mental sanity.

That's perhaps because we got our own Lockerbie above the Tenere desert, see UTA Flight 772 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTA_Flight_772)

I saw when I was in Libya the guy responsible in a toy shop almost next to me... can't really describe the feeling...

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

There is one little thing that I can't seem to shake. K, say I commit a particularly nasty crime, I go to trial, I get sentenced for life, how is it there can be talk of me getting paroled in 20 years?? I thought life was exactly that -- Life. I don't understand this bit of the guy's sentence. How can he have been expected to serve at least 20 years of his sentence before being paroled? I though once you got life, that's it, you aren't coming out unless it's in a body bag in a coroner's wagon.

Welcome to Europe's justice...

I though once you got life, that's it, you aren't coming out unless it's in a body bag in a coroner's wagon.

A 'Life' sentence here in the UK is a sentence of 25 years. Don't ask me why its called life when your serving but a fraction of what is conceived to be a lifetime. IMHO life should mean life.

Mike

Same here.

But you have to take away the paroled time and such.

So, most of the time is closer to 15 years...

At least, Spanish or US system with centuries of sentence (see Maddof) are usefull in order to keep prisonners in, despite parole and stuffs.

Regarding the guy's welcome in Libya:

http://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/video/2009/0...30812_3212.html

From what I can see, the plane landed at Meitiga, that is now a strictly military/government airfield. So, the welcome party isn't from Tripoli inhabitants that aren't allowed in such areas.

It's confirmed by the flags, portraits and such. People didn't wait for Megrahi for years with ready to use portraits. Actually, when I was there, normal libyan guys couldn't have cared less about that guy. Such preparation is the mark of the regime.

And finally these welcome party guys are wearing green or white and green baseball caps, a trademark from the regime's stalwarts from the revolutionnaries commitees: basically the henchmen used to controll the population, spy on people in the street or at home and for "on demand" demonstrations like this one. So, no Tripoli inhabitants there, only dozens of revolutionnary comitees members eager to do what they are ordered to.

It's sure a small compensation for us all, but I think we musn't be deceived: it's a false hero welcome. It's just a show with a few minor actor to take revenge by enraging western TV and it's also organised for the state TV for propaganda purpose.

People back there don't care about Megrahi's fate. They just want to live their live, avoid Qaddafi's security services and jails (or worse) and now that he is somewhat calmed down, forget about what he did to the country, to people around the world and to Libya's reputation.

Well, it's a shame for all the Colonel was missed by that LGB back in 1986...

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

Well, it's a shame for all the Colonel was missed by that LGB back in 1986...

Ain't that the truth, though the boys of the 48th gave it a damn good try! :biggrin:

A 'Life' sentence here in the UK is a sentence of 25 years. Don't ask me why its called life when your serving but a fraction of what is conceived to be a lifetime. IMHO life should mean life.

Mike

That is one of the few things I like about the Dutch legal system, life really is life. There is no parole board.

That is one of the few things I like about the Dutch legal system, life really is life. There is no parole board.

I'm moving to the Netherlands! :biggrin:

Well, in this case something more precious than money!