Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play,"What's My Plane" !

Thanks, Lou - indeed: the heat of the moment. 3. 9. 1917 of course.

I wonder, if you can imagine our nervousness, when you post new pics.

I know of at least one other member, who also feels like on a fox hunt then -

him being the fox.:heat:

Edited by Olham

Very good, Olham. :lol:

#30 is a Zeppelin-Straaken cockpit.

The Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI was a four-engined German biplane strategic bomber of World War I, and the only so-called Riesenflugzeug ("giant aircraft") design built in any quantity.

The R.VI was the most numerous of the R-bombers built by Germany, and also one of the first closed-cockpit military aircraft (but the first was Russian aircraft Sikorsky Ilya Muromets) as Red-Dog would point out. The bomber was reputedly the largest wooden aircraft ever built until the advent of the Hughes H-4 Hercules built by Howard Hughes, its wingspan of 138 feet 5.5 inches (42.2 m) nearly equaling that of the World War II B-29 Superfortress.

General characteristics

* Crew: Seven (commander, pilot, copilot, radio operator, and fuel attendant in the cockpit, one mechanic in each engine nacelle)

* Length: 76 ft 1 in (22.1 m)

* Wingspan: 138 ft 5.5 in (42.2 m)

* Height: 20 ft 8 in (6.3 m)

* Wing area: 3573.6 ft² (332 m²)

Performance

* Maximum speed: 83.9 mph (135 km/h)

* Range: 500 mi (800 km)

* Service ceiling: 14,173 ft (4,320 m)

* Rate of climb: 350 ft/min (101 m/min)

Armament

* Guns: Up to 5 machine guns of varying types

* Bombs: 4,409 lbs (2,000 kg) of bombs

* Empty weight: 17,463 lb (7,921 kg)

* Loaded weight: 26,120 lb (11,848 kg)

* Powerplant: 4 (2 pusher and 2 tractor)× Mercedes D.IVa or Maybach Mb.IVa, 260 hp [3] (190 kW) each

Interesting Wikipaedia bit...

Discovered crash site

Very little remains of these giant bombers, although nearly a century after the end of World War I amateur historians of the "Poelcapelle 1917 Association vzw" working in Poelkapelle, northeast of Ypres, identified a wreck that was found in 1981 by Daniel Parrein, a local farmer who was plowing his land. For a while it was thought that the wreck was that of French ace Georges Guynemer's plane; however that was discounted when repair tools were found at the site, and further research pointed that the engine was a Mercedes D.IVa, possibly of a Gotha G bomber. A comparison of recovered parts was inconclusive, since the parts were common to a number of aircraft other than the Gotha G.

In 2007 the researchers, Piet Steen with some help of Johan Vanbeselaere, finally made a conclusive ID after visiting one of the very few partial specimens (the distinctive engine nacelles) in a Krakow air museum. With the help of the Polish aviation historians, parts were identified as those of Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI R.34/16, which crashed on 21 April 1918 after a mission against the British Royal Flying Corps field at St. Omer, France. The R.VI was shot down, apparently by anti-aircraft fire of the British 2nd Army, while trying to cross the front line, killing all seven crew members.

[EDIT] Bad cut & paste, sorry [/EDIT]

Edited by Dej

Pic 32: Twin U. S. pattern Lewis guns on a Scarff mounting; the barrels have muzzle attachments which increase the rate of fire. Possibly mounted on a DH9. The DH9 day bomber was well into it's testing period by the autumn of 1917 and despite a number of problems was put into large-scale production, reaching operational service in the spring of 1918. Armament was usually a single Lewis plus up to four 112lb. bombs. On july31 1918 while 12 DH9's were tasked to attack Mainz three of the aircraft turned back early with engine problems while the rest were shortly afterwards intercepted by 40 enemy aircraft. Four were shot down while 5 managed to drop their bombs on the rail sidings at Saarbrucken, this having been elected by the leader as a secondary target. Three more were shot down on the return journey home and the enemy aircraft were driven off by the arrival of 104 Squadron.

Source; World War One in the Air by Ken Delve

Dej and Rickitycrate, first rate answers from you both. Two more points to each of you Sirs. BTW Rickitycrate, I agree with you on #32 likely being a DH9 despite the fact that the caption to the photo I located says the plane is a DH4.

That only leaves photo #29. Any takers? :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Bit of extraneous info 'cos this is cool...

The Scarff ring was a type of machine gun mounting developed during the First World War by Warrant Officer (Gunner) F. W. Scarff of the Admiralty Air Department - for use on two-seater aircraft. The mount incorporated bungee cord suspension in elevation to compensate for the weight of the gun(s) that allowed an airgunner in an open cockpit to swivel and elevate his weapon (typically one or two Lewis machine guns) around and easily fire in any direction. It was simple, rugged, and gave its operator an excellent field of fire. It was widely adapted and copied for other airforces.

As well as becoming a standard fitting in the British forces during the First World War, the Scarff ring was used in the post war Royal Air Force for many years - perhaps the last British aircraft to use the mounting being the Supermarine Walrus amphibian. Beautifully quirky aircraft, one of my favourites.

Scarff was also involved in the development of the Scarff-Dibovsky interrupter gear.

Although a deceptively simple device, later attempts to emulate the Scarff ring as a mounting for the dorsal Vickers K in World War II Handley Page Hampden was a failure. Handley Page had designed a carriage with ball-bearing wheels running on a track around the cockpit. Vibration when firing shook the balls out, jamming the mounting. LOL! :rofl:

In the 1930's the Germans developed a similar system called a Drehkranz D 30 (German: Turntable) used on a number of German aircraft, most notably the Junkers Ju 52

Now, if we could use a mouse with the guns in the Observer's position in OFF... we'd be closer to the real thing.

Edited by Dej

Well, a little redemption after the coffe grinder sewing machine debachel. Thanks Lou, I'll get some sleep tonight.

"Now, if we could use a mouse with the guns in the Observer's position in OFF... we'd be closer to the real thing."

Dej, IMHO better than mouse-look I found that I can use a Joypad for the observer guns. Holding the pad simulates the handles of the gun and aiming is done with the left thumbstick. Fire weapon is button 1 or A on the pad by default. Works very well, more accurate and a lot less frustrating than the stick.

"Now, if we could use a mouse with the guns in the Observer's position in OFF... we'd be closer to the real thing."

Dej, IMHO better than mouse-look I found that I can use a Joypad for the observer guns. Holding the pad simulates the handles of the gun and aiming is done with the left thumbstick. Fire weapon is button 1 or A on the pad by default. Works very well, more accurate and a lot less frustrating than the stick.

I've noticed your posts on that before and have been meaning to try it. Is yours an analogue joypad? Mine is digital (and has been gathering dust in consequence).

Analog or Digital, man I hate those technical questions. dntknw.gif I can say this, USB and looks like a Xbox or Playstation controller with the two thumbsticksok.gif

I think that #29 is a DH2 (the early one because the magazines aren't stored on the outside of the cockpit.

Manufacturer: Aircraft Manufacturing Company, Ltd.

Type: Fighter

Entered Service: February 1916

Number Built: 400

Engine: Gnôme Monosoupape, 9 cylinder, air cooled rotary, 100 hp

Wing Span: 28 ft 3 in (8.61 m)

Length: 25 ft 2½ in (7.68 m)

Height: 9 ft 6½ in (2.91 m)

Empty Weight:

Gross Weight: 1,441 lb (653.6 kg)

Max Speed: 93 mph (150 km/h)

Ceiling: 14,000 ft (4,267 m)

Endurance: 2 hrs 45 mins

Crew: 1

Armament: 1 machine gun

Very good Burning Beard, you are correct Sir. BTW, the empty weight of the kite was 942 lbs, and the armament was, to be specific, the .303 Lewis using the 47-round drum magazines. Also, the total number built was closer to 453. Two more points for you Burning Beard.

And here are the current standings after photo set #8 and the recent Wild Card photo:

Olham, 18 points

Dej, 17 points

Red-Dog, 10 points

Rickitycrate, 10 points

Bullethead, 5 points

Luftace, 5 points

Burning Beard, 4 points

Duce Lewis, 3 points

Check Six, 2 points

rhythalion, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

TonyO, 1 point

zoomzoom, 1 point

Cheers!

Lou

DING DING DING !!! WILD CARD PHOTO !

The first to correctly identify the aircraft shown, and to elaborate on the purpose of the small gauge to the port side of the cockpit above the throttle/choke quadrant will be awarded 2 bonus points. You must be spot on with both answers to win. (BTW, this is a very large photo so you will be able to enlarge it in order to more clearly see the gauge in question.)

Good Luck!

Here I can only guess - but let's try:

I say, it is a Sopwith Pup, with the equipment to fire Le Prieur rockets.

That gauge must show, if you had the necessary voltage you needed to fire them-

The Le Prieur rocket comprised an incendiary rocket for use by fighter aircraft as a means of bringing down enemy airships and observation balloons. Invented by Frenchman Lieutenant Yves Le Prieur the solid-fuel stick-guided rocket was first deployed during the Battle of Verdun in April 1916 when four rockets were attached to each strut of a Nieuport fighter aircraft and fired through steel tubes.

The Belgian Willy Coppens (a noted 'Balloon Buster') and Englishman Albert Ball made use of La Prieur rockets until the advent of incendiary Pomeroy bullets the following year made bringing down enemy balloons easier.

Le Prieur rockets were fired electrically, although their inaccuracy was such that pilots were generally required to fly within some 125 yards of their target before firing the rockets, which necessitated steep manoeuvres in order for the pilot to avoid colliding with the enemy balloon during the attack.

Although successful in its aim of destroying enemy observation balloons no Zeppelin airship was ever brought down by a Le Prieur rocket despite the best efforts of the British home defence service. The rockets were eventually withdrawn from service in 1918 once incendiary bullets had established themselves.

Edit: my source was www.firstworldwar.com

Edited by Olham

Excellent info on the Le Prieur rocket Olham, but unfortunately that is not what the gauge is for. Better luck on the next one Sir.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Lou, is the gauge in question a air pressure gauge for the vickers gun?

Edited by Red-Dog

No, sorry Red-Dog, it is not an air pressure gauge for the Vickers, as the Vickers on the Pup was controlled by means of the Sopwith-Kauper gear and a lever on the back of the gun, (which if I recall correctly is a mechanical system).

Remember folks, you have to identify both the plane and the gauge and it's purpose to claim the 2 points.

Cheers!

Lou

...it is not an air pressure gauge for the Vickers...

Air pressure guage? Vickers? That's a new one for me. What's the connection?

No connection at all that I am aware of Hauksbee. Of what I know there were only mechanical and hydraulic/sonic wave synchronizer and interrupter systems used.

Cheers!

Lou

Well, it's definitely a Sopwith Pup had that straight off as I've seen the photo only recently. Don't know what the gauge is but I'm going to bet my points on it being a pressure gauge for the Constantinesco hydraulic interrupter, as I believe the pump for said device is on the port side of the cockpit.

Dej, as I mentioned in my above post, the Pup used the Sopwith-Kauper interrupter gear for the Vickers, and it was a mechanical system. So no Sir, it is not a hydraulic pressure gauge. Nice try though.

Cheers!

Lou

Heh! Oh dear. What a waste.

Note to self... read the other chuffin' posts! :grin:

The aircraft of course is the Sopwith "Pup". The gauge in question is an Oil Level Indicator. "Tanks for 18 1/2 gallons of petrol and 5 gallons of oil were mounted within the fuselage immediately above and behind the engine. The Pup that was tested at Central Flying School on 21st October 1916 consumed six gallons of petrol per hour at 8,000 ft. with the engine running at 1,175 r.p.m. Consumption of the castor oil lubricant was no less than ten pints per hour".

Source; Aircraft in Profile, Vol. 1

Edited by Rickitycrate

Rickitycrate, while your information on the oiling of the Pup is first rate, the gauge in question does not measure oil pressure. BTW, you will find this same instrument in various forms and locations on several of your OFF aircraft, (though not the Pup oddly enough), and they all measure the same, rather critical thing.

Cheers!

Lou

Lou it's the one thing we all take for granted, a Fuel gauge which could be called critical at times?

Red-Dog, the 36-hour wait period until your next guess also applies to the Wild Card photos, just as it does in the photo sets. The last Wild Card photo I made an exception due to the difficulty folks were having with it. Even if you had been correct here with this latest guess you would not be awarded the points. But it's not quite a fuel gauge Sir. Also, remember you have to name the plane as well in your "official" answer. BTW Red-Dog, if it's any consolation, you were actually closer with your first guess. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou