Sign in to follow this  
PureBlue

Populating the stock Airbases

That is sweeeeeeet Suicidal...keep 'em coming! :good:

Edited by swambast

Looks like the airbase is coming along nicely :)

I'd be willing to contribute some simple stuff (with my meager modeling skills - still learning)

container.jpg

Would this be of use?

Edited by jtin

JAJAJAJAJAJAJA....... JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

I'd recommend you guys visit www.cgtextures.com to ease the workload a bit.

• Like 1

Julhelm

You once and we had recommended this place to download textures.

Really a very good place.

Several times I have resorted to it.

Gracias

pureblue , this two Faun 6x4 fire engine´s are on the way to you

Just got your pm, beautiful work Raven :good:

I'm going to post a long message today, with the things I've worked on lately and some comments for the questions asked.

Here's a layout with more variety.

(Click)

th_img00010.jpg

Concrete blocks, with small Armor value to withstand some damage, can't gun them but a Mk82 would work.

Helicopters are from the Downloads area here, Huey is from one of Wrench's terrain, but the SeaKing is capun (!), so looking for alternatives.

th_img00011.jpg

Ravenclaws firetrucks, (might be a bit on the heavy side?, 20k polys, but I guess it'll be ok with just 2 in there.. )

th_img00012.jpg

Imported comrpnt's Lighted/QRA airfield mod, with parked QRA aircraft on duty. (Will PM you about it, Pnt)

th_img00013.jpg

Answer for Dave's question "Can all these be targeted, destroyed": Well, they all can be destroyed, some with a crater.lod some with borrowed destroyed models. Most new statics (Lights,blocks) cannot be targeted , I gave them a TargetValue=0. Open to suggestions here.

In the stock game the Pit8 & Pit16 objects don't have any destroyed models, so I used ShelterA_destroyed.lod, but as you see it's not perfect..

Other than these, RepairRate's can be chosen wisely. Just like mentioned in another thread, the destroyed structures stay destroyed, until repaired, in the Campaign Game. I'll be using similar values to what the stock has. ( Is this value in days/hours??)

Keep the ideas flowing :good:

Soulfreak, the Hopsten link is awesome, lots of reference pictures there.

(http://www.etnp.de/2006sort/Basisplan2006/Basis06.htm)

ps: Bpao, pm on the way, nice to have hangars with open doors!

Edited by pureblue

Sure - no worries. QRA sheds look good. Nice to see them being re-used.

BTW, did I read somewhere that someone is working on hangars and sheds that allow you to taxi in/out without hitting the collision bug that affects the stock shelters?

Cheers, kind regards, comrpnt. :-)

Thanks PNT.

Ok, just made a test package. So we can check performance, layout design, parked aircraft, new objects, etc.

LinkToTestPackage (Rapidshare)

Here's the readme:

THIS IS A TEST PACKAGE, TAKE CAUTION PLEASE
-------------------------------------------

Here is what we have so far, 2 different layouts with Ramps, and a modified Ahlhorn Airbase from Gepard.
Thanks to all contributors, lots of nice models are being built, let's see how we can improve... 

--Aug 30, pureblue

Instructions:
-------------

1-) This is to be used with Stock SF2E. Optionally BACKUP your GermanyCE terrain folder because this will overwrite your _types.ini and _targets.ini files. 
You can be using WOEx4Seasons or Brain's or any other tileset. The mod only changes the target area contents for a few airbases.

2-) Copy the ZIP contents to your Mod folder. 

To Uninstall:
-------------
1-) Delete the Campaigns\CAMPAIGNE4 folder
2-) Delete and Restore your Backed Up GermanyCE folder ;)

Notes:
------

** A test campaign "621026 Red Thunder(TEST)" is included for experimenting with different airfields. Details below. Choose the corresponding squadron to test.

** Objects included so far: (Hoping not to forget anybody)

Amokfloo, ControlTower, ForkLift, FireExtinguisher, ShelterZu
  Ravenclaw, Fire Trucks
  Pureblue, FloodLight, SmallGenerator, ConcreteBlock, SunShelter
  Comrpnt, QRA and Lights
  Gepard, Ahlhorn Airfield with modified Parked Aircraft, QRA
  Polak, tools

621026 Red Thunder(TEST) Details 
-------------------------------------------

USAF 7TFS, F-105D, Spangdahlem: German_Airbase4_Ramp1.ini
RAF No.17, Canberra 
USAF Bomber Group 1, B-52G

USAF 8TFS, F-105D, Bückeburg: German_Airbase2_Ramp1.ini
RAF No.16, Canberra
USAF Bomber Group 2, B-52G

USAF 9TFS, F-105D, Ahlhorn: Gepard's Airbase_Ahlhorn.ini (modified, QRA, Parked Aircraft, Amokfloo ControlTower)
RAF 4RAF, Hunter

USAF 10TFS, F-100D, Laarbruch: German_Airbase1_Ramp1.ini (with comrpnt QRA/Lights)
RAF No.3, Canberra

Edited by pureblue

I'm hoping this will find it's way (modified of course) to Anatolia?

Pureblue, in addition to the most excellent work going on here, please find below lighting definitions for the 3 ramps in your test upload package above.

First some screen shots...

Floodlights with 24 x 7 anti-collision lights on top:

img000021024x768-2.jpg

Floodlights when lit - timed to come on at the same time as the hangar flood lights that face the ramp:

img000031024x768-2.jpg

And an overview of what it looks like in context, across the whole ramp:

img000041024x768-3.jpg

img000051024x768-5.jpg

(BTW, I also included anti-collision lights for the SunShelter in AB1_Ramp1. Not shown here)

The enhanced _Ramp1.ini files are attached. Simply replace the originals above with these new enhanced ones.

Cheers, regards, comrpnt.

Ramp1_enhanced_lights.rar

Edited by comrpnt

dude....that is SOOOOOOO righetous!!!

Makes we reeeeallly want to do a modern terrain, when all these goodies come out.

note to self -get ahold of MKSheppard re: Japan/Kuriles/Russian Far East map

wrench

kevin stein

You can direct light, like landing light, why not use it as ramplights? is it possible? This comes in my mind as I saw those aweseome shots!

respect! :salute:

You can direct light, like landing light, why not use it as ramplights? is it possible? This comes in my mind as I saw those aweseome shots!

respect! :salute:

Mmm, well in theory you could use landing lights from some complex static aircraft positioned on the ramp, but the cost is quite high. For example...

1. You'd need about 40 landing lights to replicate the image above - not sure how the game would cope with the demands of calculating light source and shadows from each of these sources.

2. The static - if that's what was used (and I couldn't think what else you could use) - needs to be defined in a single mission file, so couldn't be used in all situations, like campaigns or game-generated single missions.

3. The offsets and positioning of each light would involve some tricky calculations given the location of the static and the central point (offset 0,0) of the runway layout in question.

4. The lighting up time of the lights could not be controlled - they'd be on all of the time.

Yes, what you see above is a compromise as the lights are not real but it's pretty simple to do, in keeping with the rest of the airfield lights and available for any one to use no matter what context - single mission, campaign, game-generated mission, whatever.

Regards, comrpnt.

Ok thx for the explanation, you are right the fps would drop down to 0 if we had 40 landinglights and more.. this is now a nice solution!

Hey, this is wonderfull, comrpnt!

BTW, i think it shouldn´t look as realistic as in Real LifeTM, otherwise i wouldn´t leave the sim, or my pc in general, anymore and my wife is allready yelling i spend more time for modding then for her! :rofl:

• Like 1

Very nice work Comrpnt! :ok:

img00021.jpg

There is only one thing we might consider. The light stays there even if you destroy the object under it. In other words they are not connected.

Actually, the place is lit up so nice at night, this little flaw is not important IMHO.

But I'm thinking during the day, the red collision lights are not really visible from the ground or high above. And if you bomb the place during the day, they might look weird? Am I nit-picking too much? :grin: Help me out decide on this will ya?!

So who else has been testing this, any comments? Like the damage points or damaged models..

Remember, things stay destroyed during a campaign (Until replaced, according to RepairRate variable), So It's more tempting to go out of your way, during or after a mission to bomb an enemy field, and come back next day to see the place torn up.. :grin:

Edited by pureblue
  • Like 1

Hi folks, thanks for your kind words. As there is no way to create an association between objects and lights, and therefore the destruction of an object to there being 'no lights' I guess things will have to stay pretty much as they are. With one alternative.

Please find attached alternate Ramp1 ini definition files with the anti-collision lights definitions removed. I left the floodlights as they were. The file names enclosed end in "_Ramp1_2.ini" so either renamed them to end in "_Ramp1.ini" or change the name of the appropriate AirfieldDataFile entries in the _targets.ini file.

Some folks will choose the latest file I've supplied. For myself, I prefer the former with anti-collision lights. At least now you have a choice.

Regards, comrpnt

Ramp1_enhanced_lights_B.rar

Thanks Comrpnt.

Here's Gepard's Hopsten Airfield, with some more facilities. (Hangars by Stary, firetrucks by Ravenclaw)

Northern Ramp & Arming Area

img00030.jpg

Control Tower by Amokfloo

img00031.jpg

Southern QRA, Hangars and PLO facilities

img00032.jpg

I take it these are mainly fighter bases, not much space to park large aircraft. (Right now with 3 parking slots with 50m span)

• Like 1

All I can say is WOW!