Sign in to follow this  
Stiffy

You wait ten years and two come along at once!

Hi all

Well ive been waiting for a new WW1 sim since Red Baron 3D. Recently bought a copy of ROF but until i upgrade my processor it wont run more than 2 planes in the air..... but then i discovered a ROF forum mentioning OFF! (i know comparing the two on forums is frowned upon... but if people didnt I would never have discovered it!) I ordered straight way of course. Does anyone know how long it takes to arrive in UK?

Also does anyone know what the minimum and recomended specs are? Website seems a bit vague just stating 'low' medium' and 'good' PCs.

I have a Dual Core Celeron 1.8 with a Geforce 9500GT and 4gb RAM... is this enough for top settings?

Can't wait to get im my DH-2!

Hi all

Well ive been waiting for a new WW1 sim since Red Baron 3D. Recently bought a copy of ROF but until i upgrade my processor it wont run more than 2 planes in the air..... but then i discovered a ROF forum mentioning OFF! (i know comparing the two on forums is frowned upon... but if people didnt I would never have discovered it!) I ordered straight way of course. Does anyone know how long it takes to arrive in UK?

Also does anyone know what the minimum and recomended specs are? Website seems a bit vague just stating 'low' medium' and 'good' PCs.

I have a Dual Core Celeron 1.8 with a Geforce 9500GT and 4gb RAM... is this enough for top settings?

Can't wait to get im my DH-2!

Welcome.

I've ROF too, but I prefer this one. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy. You'll find a good campaign. in the sim and a good community in this forum.

As for the specs look at this thread: http://www.overflandersfields.com/sysreq.htm

My copy arrived, in Portugal, in 8 days.

Don't forget that you need CFS3 also.

Welcome aboard Stiffy , your going love this sim,and the forum so enjoy....drinks.gif

Ouch... wish i'd read this before i bought... If you go by the recomended of each game this is in fact more demanding than ROF....

I dont even meet minimum requirements as it needs a dual core 2.2 and i only have a dual 1.8 celeron (which of course runs at 1.2!)

and recomended 3.6 dual core??!?! ROF recomended is only a 2.7...

Guess thers not much left of the original CF3 lol as I would be way over spec for that.

Welcome aboard Stiffy. If you loved RB3D you are REALLY going to love OFF BHaH. BTW, with the system you outlined you should be able to push 3's on most of your settings, with plane realism at 5, and it will look very, very nice at those settings. Of course every system is different so you will have to tweak to find the best for yours. See you in the virtual skies.

Cheers!

Lou

Ahh thats good to hear, as long as i can get it looking half decent with a good framerate i'll be happy!

another point i'd be interested to hear about is the networking capabilitys/problems with this game. I occasionally run LAN parties with some friends and they were very interested in running networked ROF.... but of course you can only do it via the internet and there is no connection where we host the parties just local area. OFF would seem to be the obvious choice but i've heard there are complications/problems involved.... or is that just for online play?

Stiffy,

If you're PC will run ROF, it should run OFF just fine. Annnnd there's no comparision really, OFF is simply better hands down (MHO), which I think you will discover much to your satisfaction. I use ROF as a coaster now.....a mere curiosity in comparison.

ZZ.

it doesnt run ROF, thats why ive ordered OFF :)

Welcome in the mess, Stiffy

My system would be regarded as "not to be mentioned", I'm sure, but it runs the sim fine,

and it even looks great! See my posts in "Screenshots".

OFF even looks good with sliders on less than 5; I have aircraft on 5, but all others on 2 or 3, clouds on 1 only.

So, see my pics, and you'll see what you can get - I'm more than pleased with it so far.

Here's my system:

- Intel Core 2 E 6550 2.33 GHz

- ATI RADEON X1900 video card

When you got the sim, you should check for all the advice for a good setup; people here will help you.

And again: you need "Combat Flight Simulator 3" - you can get that on DVD for about 10,- Euro.

And if you give me your hometown and state, I'll add you to the OFF Pilots Map. Thanks!

Hi Stiffy, I'm glad to see you made it over from the Aerodrome site. Don't despair. I think you have enough machine to run it okay. Heck my slider settings are low and I seem to do alright. For example see my pics in the Screenshots thread. On the other hand maybe these two sims will be the excuse to upgrade the ol' 'puty. Thanks for joining up and I wish you the very best. Help is here for the asking. Just don't ask me for I am the village idiot.crazy.gif

Hi Stiffy, welcome m8 to the skies! New pilots buy the first round drinks.gif

Baldric, I can only hope that Bullethead won't sue you for using his line (Lol!!)

Hey Stiff,

Welcome to death in the air. Pity you waited ten years, OFF has been out at least 3 or 4 years I think, starting with phase I til now. It's been a great experience growing with her and every day is something to behold.

BTW, I run it on a P4 3.0 ghz with a Radeon 3850 and I still find it enjoyable. Mind you, I will be upgrading soon.

it doesnt run ROF, thats why ive ordered OFF :)

Blessing in Disguise!!! :salute:

good.gif Welcome to the meatgrinder, the people in the forum is whats makes this place great. The game is really good but the people go to the 10 percent extra to push it over the top along with the game support and developers. drinks.gif

If you liked the RB DH2 you'll love the one in OFF, its one of my favorite birds.

Welcome,

Beard

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I reckon you're going to struggle with that Celeron Stiffy.

I started out on a Celeron 2.4, which was ok in a one on one dogfight, but anything intense became a slideshow with FPS of 2's and 3's. (Frames per second).

On paper, a 2.4 ghz chip should have been fine, but the Celeron chip is different. I was told it was designed for the business market, not gaming PC's, and reliability took precedence over speed. It's therefore going to struggle with CFS3 and it's derivatives.

I didn't know all this at the time of course, spent a lump of money upgrading RAM, graphics cards, sound cards, power unit, etc trying to eek out a few more FPS, but the bottleneck was the Celeron chip.

It's not a complete disaster, I played enough to get hooked, but very soon, you'll want to upgrade.