Sign in to follow this  
OvS

O/T: What other hobbies do you like?

For good or for worse, I'm the secretary of the local Labour paty branch - which I'm sure will immediately snuff out some potential friendships on here - not because I'm a Blair/Brown fan, far from it, because my politics are somewhat to the left of that. Shocking stuff on such a forum. I probably won't mention it again, but it does seem to take up a ridiculous amount of my time, which would probably be better spent hunting enemy aircraft...

Aside from that, I think that I'm utterly average and dull. Certainly, my collection of Indo-European nose flutes isn't going to raise interest here, still less my indexed reference library of references to haddock in the period 1000-1500, so there's no chance of my mentioning them here.

Not sure which of these two paragraphs I found the most amusing!! :salute::lol:

Amazing all the similarities- arts, gaming & model making, historical interests etc. Brilliant stuff, and I'm glad I'm counted in such great company!

Flyby, very classy webby m8, and really do admire the work you and your people do- cheers for that (I've marked as a fav so I can pass it along to my m8s in the UK)

Mightsrc, there used to be a really good set of pike&shot wargame rules that covered the Civil War period...I'm buggered if I can recall the name, but I'm pretty sure it was put out by Wargames Research Group c.1974. There was a 'mad' group of enthusiasts, at a club I once belonged to, that put on huge miniature battles, based on historical battles, with thousands of minis spread out over really nice terrain and always ended up grabbing a few of us 'heathens' (who were sandboxing medieval battles) to command some of the regiments. Tons of fun and lots of learning.

This reminds me of describing my interests when I joined Match.com several years ago. Let's see, I love long walks on the beach, sunsets, puppies, sharing my feelings, etc. LOL

Coached premier soccer for 12 years, ran the largest soccer club in our area (40 teams), & organized large tournaments (sound familiar Grumpybear?)

Building computers

Sing with the local symphony

Collecting classical music, jazz, blues

Read anything I find interesting, especially history, philosophy, psychology, lately developed an interest in behavioral economics

Home remodeling, interior design: totally gutted and rebuilt my last home

Auto repair

Hunting, fishing, & backpacking

Flight sims

Currently looking for an old Goldwing to work on this winter

My main intersts now are PC gaming,

Oceanic Art Works

Easy bushwalking (Tramping)

I used to do a lot of caving and canyoning, but finding the hard stuf too hard these days.

I used to love black & white photography and dark room work, but after I moved house and the chemicals and paper became scarce I gave it up. But I would love to take it up again. I used to be quiet good at cave photography.

there are quiet a few other things I would like to take up, but lack of funds keeps those away.

Cheers MarkL

I like

Computer Gaming

Photography - lost almost all my best pictures when I moved this.gif

Fine Wine and Dining

Cooking

and spoiling my li'l 15 year old chihuahua rotten

Edited by Duce Lewis

Some of these are beginning to sound like an advert in the personals column of the Times:

"I enjoy: Long walks along the edge of the aerodrome at sunset; A bottle of fine French wine and the company of good friends; The smell of castor oil and petrol in the early morning; The sound of twin Vickers chattering away at the Albatros in my sights; The satisfaction of seeing my enemies fall from the sky like leaves in a gale; And a good bonking every so often."

Interesting bunch here; these are some of my Interests at present.

1. Musician: Vocalist / Harmonica player at present but have been playing music since my Punk Rock days in the 80's.

2. Off highway driving: Lots of open country to explore in the great American Southwest. I enjoy finding old mines and such from the gold rush days.

3. Classic car restoration: Currently have a 1955 Buck special 95% complete.

4. History Buff: Mostly military, but I am also fascinated by the Sagas and read what I can find; Nordic, Icelandic, Greenland, etc.

5. Also build custom computers; mostly for myself and sometimes for friends and family members.

6. And of course; computer gaming.

Thanks for sharing and letting me share.

Jim

I play the piano, mostly classical music.

I'm in an online Falcon 4.0 squadron, the 72nd VFW. Flying modern jets multi-player with 8 other guys is AWESOME.

I'm addicted to Civilization IV. And Civilization IV 'The Warlords'. And Civilization IV 'Beyond the Sword'. And lets not forget Civilization IV: Colonization. My, they do get their money's worth out a game engine, don't they?

Hmmm....

Well, I make naval sims, which is more a hobby than a job as I see it.

Otherwise, I spend my non-OFF time as follows:

1. Homebrewing

2. Flintknapping

3. Hunting with an atlatl

4. Teaching my various nephews and briarpatch young'uns to cuss, chew tobacco, drink, fight, hunt, locate and secure loose women, and drive around at night shooting at highway signs.

Bullethead, that Jutland game looks like something I would really like. You worked on that one? I'm going bak to the site to read about it.

- Wife and daughter always come first.

- I gave up modelmaking a few years back due to lack of time and space, after an illustrious carreer of awards, both for plastic A/C and wooden boats. Might take it up again some time.

- Flightsims in general, online with the Boys of 60 squad.

- Sailing yachts, if I find the right company and the right yacht to hire.

- Reading literature, aviation and history related preferable.

- But most of my free time now is devoted to real flying and trying to finish that PPL:

11102009154.jpg

Edited by Dimus

Bullethead, that Jutland game looks like something I would really like. You worked on that one? I'm going bak to the site to read about it.

Yup, I had quite a lot to do with it. Hope you find it interesting.

1.SPEARFISHING

2.FISHING

3.UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY

4.FOSSIL HUNTING

5.BEACHCOMBING

6.ANYTHING AVIATION RELATED

7.WATCHING MY ST.LOUIS RAMS GET THEIR ASS KICKED EVERY SUNDAY :mad:

Bullethead,

I might be interested in "Jutland". I worked for 25 years for the Dept of Defence (NAVY) as a civilian technical officer, and my last position was a weapons analyst. Whilst my "expertise" was anti-submarine warfare, I spent the last year or so analysing Naval Gunnery and learning the art of laying fire on enemy ships. LOVE navy sims.

I might be interested in "Jutland".

There's a demo grin.gif .

Now, for those interested in my naval sim biz, while I appreciate your interest, this is OBD's OFF board, so if you'd like to discuss SES stuff with me, please use our forum or PMs.

I hope OBD ain't mad already. After all, myself and 4 or 5 other Jutlanders are here because somebody mentioned OFF in my forum cool.gif