Sign in to follow this  
OvS

O/T: What other hobbies do you like?

Now that we have a ton more guys in the Mess Hall... let's maybe get to know each other a little more. You never know who you're sitting next to, maybe you like the same things other than WWI. :good:

My short list:

Classic Car restoration

Classic Arcade Cabinet restoration

Photography

WWII Movies

shooting ILS approachs on Flight Simulator X

Working around the house... I think... :grin:

OvS

Edited by OvS

My other interests include:

Woodworking

Photography

Umpiring Ball

Repairing Computers

I also deliver Meals on Wheels and volunteer with the Canadian Cancer Society

Tony

Topper of an idea OvS! Here are a few of mine:

Restoring and maintaining the 1880's farmhouse my family and I call home

Collecting and reading old WWI aviation books, (preferably first editions)

Banging away at my old Washburn spruce top six-string

Building computers

Ultralight flying and building

Vintage car restoration, which has now moved into vintage Vespa restoration

A number of years ago I was also collecting old automobilia and had quite the barn-full of old signs, oil cans, pumps, etc, but I have since sold off most of that collection to persue some of the above-mentioned interests.

Cheers!

Lou

Good topic OvS...

Cooking

Gardening

DJing / remixing - jazz, funk, reggae, hip-hop & 80s

Other computer games - mostly Empire:TW & AmericasArmy3 at the moment

Board wargames - mostly Advanced Squad Leader and Flying Colors at the moment

Military model-making (just getting back into this after a 30 year hiatus!)

Reading anything to do with military history, especially WWII and the Age of Sail

Yes, a great topic

Fishing

Carving fish decoys You can find more about it, and me at (www.minnesotafishdecoy.com)

Riding my 1982 Gold Wing motorcycle. It is old, but still in good condition

Alaskan Winds virtual bushp pilot group- FSX (my interest is in vintage aircraft that flew in the "bush"

My three grandchildren

I like:

- Fixing old car and driving it fast (Porsche 944 -86)

- Painting, drawing, graphic design

- Fashion, cloth design

- Make Electronical music

- Fishing

- Good wines/beers

- war movies and books

- play different kind of pc games

- OFF graphics... oh you mean other hobbies

Nice, I'm glad to get to know you guys better. I'll give it a go...

Worldwide Stamp collecting since I was 9 years old (any donations appreciated)

World War One Aircraft model building

Koi keeping

Collecting WWI and Age of Sail books, also H.P. Lovecraft

Age of Sail modelling

Ukulele/guitar hack

Music fan classical to Black Metal

Bird feeding/watching

I love fishing but don't get out much

There's more but that's enough. I have so many interests. But I'm not too good at any of them. Thanks for the topic OvS. I happen to have a 1967 "Blast OFF" by Williams. It's in fair shape and I picked up new bumper stock for it.

Bird feeding... yes, that one too. I love seeing all the amazing colors and types in the winter on Long Island. I have a small backyard, but in the winter, it's LOADED with birds as I have 10 trees in the yard and I put out 4 feeders, 2 hanging and two on poles. I have a nice bay window my daughter sits in and watches for a few hours a day, recording all the different types she sees.

It is a nice 'hobby' if you want to call it one. :)

OvS

Guest Eject

Hi, I enjoy cooking as well. Dish-washing, too, To me it is not a hobby, a MUST for us husbands, and I did it (will always do it again) manually, meaning the "green" way, no electrical appliance used. Reading reading also, and more and more digitally using my other, mini notebook. If I had the necessary softwares and hardware, I wish I could do serious modding, since when I was in the hi-school I was a good, really good at painting until I ruin my RIGHT hand when I practiced KARATE, among others, smashing red bricks to pieces, and doing lots of push-ups with only two knuckles of both hands for a minimum of between 30 to 50 push-ups the knuckles getting hard. Hence, no problem smashing even a 20cm x 20cm floor tile as thick as 1 inch (the base was my left hand, and brok it in two parts). :atrly, I enjoyed also hand-making HOLSTERS, managed to pruduced four for .9mm Hi-Power belonged to my colonel uncle. They are for inside the pant, so even with that big hand-gun my uncle can hide it even when he was wearing "sarong" and a mere short(pants)! Cover it with T-Shirt. I quit small game killing perhaps hundreds of birds that included pegions, even harmless snakes! Man, I was a killer! That is why I dislke games that shot a lot and spill blood all over. Hence, my being glued to this great air battles. Have you guys seen blood all over? Nope. "Clean killing".....:grin:

I don't have that many "hobbies" any more as I'm kept pretty busy with work (I'm a Security Supervisor). I mostly get my tired old body off to work and then drag my sorry a$$ home again.

I am kept very busy with my work in Australian Society of World War 1 Aero Historians, and when I get the time, I get around to compiling biographies of all Australians who served in the RNAS (in any capacity, not just pilots and observers). I am planning on writing a book on that (with help from my co-author, Andrew Smith).

I have recently moved from ONE ROOM in a house rented by my brother to the "granny flat" downstairs (if you don't call them that where you live, it's a small one-bedroom, self-contained apartment), so now my "storage room" down there is as large as the entire living area I had at the beginning of the year. Consequently, I have a LOT more room, and so I have begun getting tools and equipment together to begin modelling WW1 aircraft.

I enjoy playing computer games, mainly first person shooters and action type games, driving games, as well as OFF of course.

I ride a 2004 GSX-R750 (this is my third after an '88, and a '97 - so I just commute on her, no racing, no dragging off punk kids at the lights sort of stuff) but still enjoy riding her FAST.

I like watching WW1 aviation movies and documentaries.

Edited by Check Six

I must say I'm thrilled to be amid such diverse and cultured folks as the OFF community. :salute:

I feel like sometimes that I have so many hobbies that everything I do is a hobby.

Anyway, here is a quick list off the top of my head:

-Modding/building game controllers. I can be sitting in a doctor's office, watching a movie, concert, etc. and dreaming up some contraption and then have to race home and give it a try. It's a real sickness!

-Furniture building, detail carpentry, etc. I used to do a lot of 18th century repo stuff (carving and such). I've gotten lazy and haven't done much in the last few years but I still have the "ole spark" in me.

-Guns. Target shooting, ammo reloading, etc. Very relaxing.

In fact, here is my latest project if you're interested: http://snomhf.exofire.net/shooting/chronyLights.html

-Figuring things out and writing "how to" articles. Weird. I don't know why I like to do this but I really do get a charge out of making Command Cards, etc.

-All things aviation. I collect diecast airplanes. My family never has a problem trying to figure out what to get me for Christmas, my birthday, etc. as they can never go wrong getting me a little airplane. Any time we go to a WalMart or K-Mart type store, I always go to the toy section and see if there is an airplane that I don't have. I especially like WW2 models but I have all sorts. One of my most treasured is a wonderfully detailed A10 Warthog (oh how I love that airplane): models.jpg

Cool Topic.

Mine are (in no particular order)

1) Fishing

2) Skinning in OFF

3) Archery

4) Herpetology (the study of Reptiles and Amphibians)

5) I love my other job of designing ID Badges

6) Wasting far too much time on Facebook

7) My Border Collies

@1. my Wife, my children & family wub.gif.

@2. Dance parties like in Ibiza, at my hometown, I'm using no drugs dance2.gif.

@3. Vintage car and motorcycle restoration, right now I'm doing a '73 Karmann Ghia convertible, present for my wife give_rose.gif!!!

@4. Sport kickboxing and wing chungboxing.gif

@5. Computer, building and keep them alive type.gif.

@6. playing combat flysims mainly WW1 but no Jets Flyer.gif .

@7. reading about WW1 & 2 aviation read.gif.

doh.gifforgot something, that is my house, painting, repairing, garden etc, nice to get rid of the stress!!!!

Edited by Dutch_P47M

interesting topic,

my hobbies/jobs

baseball,

in winter playing rugby with friends,

gym and staying in shape (more because necessary for baseball than hobby)

brokerage (shares, stocks and stuff like this),

hold'em poker

generally history,

WW1 aviation of course

different cultures, religions, POV's

writing a novel (great stuff from your son, by the way, wid)

diving

swimming

ancient sailing and history about (british, portugiese, spanish, croatian, venetian, carrabean piracy)

ancient japan (samurai and all history about it. of course the swords too. most perfect weapon man had ever built)

eating good stuff. i love to eat

Good one guys!

My other addictions include but are not limited to:

WW1 Aircraft models

Wargames (mostly aviation related)

Flying Flight Sims

Guitar

And last but not least, My three kids!

Oh wait! Did I forget to mention my wife? She goes on top of the list for putting up with my other addictions!

Hobbies, hmmm...other than PC gaming

Painting wargaming miniatures (any era, incl. WH40k), building/modelling wargame terrain.

Reading history (not revisionist tripe), writing (published poet), listening to classical and operatic music (most years the wife and I are season subscribers to Calgary Opera)

Boardgaming- from M:TG to my ancient copy of Richtofens War, Advanced Squad Leader (Avalon Hill version)

Roleplaying games- used to play a lot of AD&D, not so much now as its too hard to coordinate people =)

Gardening, playing at chef

As for PC gaming, pretty eclectic, so you'll find me playing some World of Warcrack on the EU servers, Arma, retro Battlefield 1942, and of course a TON of OFF campaigning, a little of RoF, some BoBII campaigning.

drinks.gif

A great topic! :good:

Besides dying in OFF, I like to:

- read a lot, mostly non-fiction, especially history and astronomy

- cook

- drink whisk(e)y, rum and beer (this can be an expensive hobby - beer is usually cheap, but quality rum and whisk(e)y ain't!)

- ski in winter, jog in summer (my desperate attempt to win my very own battle of the bulge - unfortunately the bulge is winning)

- wander in the wilderness (nothing beats the sights and sounds of the far northern environment)

An excellent topic. When not scraping my pilots corpse off the front lines in OFF I enjoy:

Other video games : Oblivion (heavily modded), Call of Duty (the entire series), Rainbow Six (entire series) Age of Conan (MMO) - looking forward to Torchlight from Mythic when it comes out on the 27th and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

Movies - WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, ancient times (like Troy), pure fantasy like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and action / adventure type movies. I have over 370 movies on DVD, just gave away 400+ that were on VHS.

Documentaries on nearly any war

Upgrading my PC (since my video game habit depends heavily on having keeping it near cutting edge)

Hanging out with my wife

Playing with our youngest daughter, Jacqueline, who just turned 6.

Hellshade

Other hobbies?

1. Golf, i play at least twice a week.

2. Wife and kids, wife x1 kids x 4

3. Driving games on the PS3, Grid and at the momment Need for speed shift.....

4. Anything to do with cars, i work for Toyota....

5. History, love visiting all the Norman castles around the UK.

Cool, alot of classic car restorers... sadly I cant afford to run one anymore. My first Car at 17 was a 1957 Rover '60' Saloon (sedan to americans). I ran it for 10 years....except of course when it wasnt running. Then replaced it with a 93 Jaguar XJ6... until I couldnt afford that, now stuck in a very dull peugeot 206.

As for hobbies.....

British dark age history

WW1 history

Napoleonic History

Compuer gaming

Art (quit my job and gone back to university studying Illustration)

Wargaming

Roleplaying games

Live Roleplay (no... nothing like the wierd and terrifying thing you call LRP in the US! Over here its more like reenactment and doesnt involve many teenagers).. in the process of planning a ww2 event in fact.

DIY (when pestered by fiance sufficiently)

I play piano and sing at open mic nights (mainly blues)

Oh and of course as an Englishman I binge drink at least once a week!

But over the last couple of weeks I mainly just play OFF... youve ruined my life!... oh well back to the airfield...

I've got my own Stone business which is really demanding right now.

3 Apprentices needing training, our own commercial unit to build, paperwork to keep the taxman happy, and that's pretty much a 7 day week. It'll be worth it though....

Hobbies have taken a bit of a kicking though.

I used to SCUBA dive, but my ear stopped equalising pressure as I came up, & pressure made me dizzy. Passing out at 30m risked dying horribly, so I had to stop. Doc said I could try a stent, but then I'd leak, and die in a different horrible way.

I used to fly multiplayer with the Boys of 60, & make CFS3 movies. Boys of 60 squadron went down the IL2 path to avoid the CFS3 gremlins, but I couldn't get in to it. I was getting busy, and couldn't get time to adjust to Il2. I stopped making movies because copyright issues made me uncomfortable, but good music makes all the difference. It might be different now, but IL2 just didn't look as good either.

I used to watch rugby, but since it all went pro, the Scottish Rugby Union as been doing all it can to wreck the club game in the South of Scotland. Happy to watch club games, but the 'Scotland' team is just full of ringers who can't get a game for their own country. Touchy subject...

I used to keep tropical fish but a heater malfunctioned and killed 80% of the poor little fellas. The rest lingered a few weeks not looking well at all.

Sounds sad, but I love my work. I often dress stone for fun, or for my unit, and for work naturally. I'm pretty lucky that I like what I do that much. I also have all the tools and machines to look after too. Hoists, drills, grinders, fork lifts, etc I've built a few stone saws and general bits and bobs, making and mending with steel. It's work fixing stuff, but fun, so does that count as a hobby?

I'm also trying to get into glass etching, and stained glass. Trying, but finding time is tough. I'm ok at it, but I want to get a lot better.

I also do architectural drawings for folks, but usually only for friends. I know what I'm doing, but find the admin tiresome.

What keeps me sane are my dogs. The big fella could walk for Scotland.

Oh, and I like to read history/non fiction books, usually War related.

post-45899-12557191742832.jpg

post-45899-12557192127728.jpg

Edited by Flyby PC

Karmann ghia!! My favorite car after porsches... wow!

@1. my Wife, my children & family wub.gif.

@2. Dance parties like in Ibiza, at my hometown, I'm using no drugs dance2.gif.

@3. Vintage car and motorcycle restoration, right now I'm doing a '73 Karmann Ghia convertible, present for my wife give_rose.gif!!!

@4. Sport kickboxing and wing chungboxing.gif

@5. Computer, building and keep them alive type.gif.

@6. playing combat flysims mainly WW1 but no Jets Flyer.gif .

@7. reading about WW1 & 2 aviation read.gif.

doh.gifforgot something, that is my house, painting, repairing, garden etc, nice to get rid of the stress!!!!

What a splendid idea. What an interesting bunch of chaps you are. Looks like we've enough to start an OFF fishing club too. As I retired 2 years ago, I'm not sure my "hobbies" are hobbies anymore - I don't have to fit them in round the day job! "But what will you do with your time?", they asked as I left. Ha! The list includes:

1. Fishing (carp)

2. Ballroom dancing (no, really - started 6 months ago with my lovely wife, was well outside my comfort zone to start with!); v. useful skill for Mess balls I should imagine

3. Running/fell & countryside walking

4. Reading (military history, novels, cornflake packets); lately, Patrick O'Brian, Max Hastings on Churchill

5. Building my own PC and continually fiddling about with it pending next decision to upgrade it again

6. Other sims - BoB2 (they go too fast though); Arma2; Falcon 5.0 if I can ever set aside 6 months to learn how to fly an F16 again...

PS FlybyPC, yours are the cutest, especially that little one!

Good thread. Here's my interests, in no particular order:

Gems and gemology

lapidary arts

metalworking and hand engraving

history & military topics

computer sims

miniature wargaming (cheers Balders and Stiffy....)

geocaching

my fraternities

hunting/fishing

home brewing

Edited by VonGuber