Sign in to follow this  
Siggi

Volunteers needed for DiD campaign.

What squadrons can we choose from for British? And how long/how many kills before we can transfer to a fighter squadron?

Stiffy, your side will be settled by Siggi, I'm sure.

For the Germans:

I have checked the movements and aircraft of all Jastas which are there already

in November 1916, and so now it's condensed down to two Staffeln.

Jasta 2

Pro: getting around a bit, but later only; getting all craft but the Pfalz

Con: not as much moving as in Jasta 4

Jasta 4

Pro: getting around most of all, getting ALL aircraft, including the Pfalz

Con: we would have to fly the Halberstadt (one gun only) until 31. January 1917, before we'd get the Albatros D II

Jasta 6

Pro: getting around a bit, but later on, in 1917; getting all craft but the Pfalz

Con: not as much moving as in Jasta 4

Remember, the true Germans: we change to winter time tonight and get one hour plus.

But still I'm tired - good night for now!

What squadrons can we choose from for British? And how long/how many kills before we can transfer to a fighter squadron?

Stiffy, check out post #46. We'll be flying in RNAS #3. Other info there. Start your engines---for warm up that is

Jasta 6 get the Albatros DI early, and have a decent variety of machines over time, and a lot of action against enemy observation and bomber in the Fall of 1916. That said, whichever one you decide on, Olham, is most fine with me- I will be there map in hand, flying scarf and goggles at the ready as soon as I've achieved the requisite survival time in the FleigerAbteilung.

The only DFW flying unit that fits Siggi's specification

The axis will be flying the DFW C.V. out of Wasquehal, Flanders sector
is FA(A)250, so I will go ahead an roll up my pilot in anticipation of the November start.cool.gif Edited by Baldric

i'm sure multiplayer is lot of fun. and one day with better online connection i'll try it for sure. but i meant "dynamic" campaign as it is in sp. where you have time progress and random missions and activities like in sp, not scripted "missions"

These are not scripted mission,,,they are dynamic historical campaign missions....no one makes them up,,,the game makes them up.....

As outlined to Olham, I'd like to know what you chaps think of this (it was an organic development that followed from the idea of starting in bombers)...

We all start in bombers/recon. In order to transfer to the respective fighter-units a pilot must have 17 hours on bombers or five kills, whichever comes first (kills by yourself as pilot or observer, or kills by your AI crewman, all are good). To quote again: "The sweet is never as sweet without the bitter." It will make the attainment of fighter-status all the more rewarding and pleasurable, and the loss of it all the more painful. And put a brake on crazy behaviour as a fighter-pilot (focus on survival over kills/glory). A grittier experience overall, kind of more in keeping with that of the real chaps we remember.

As for the allied choice of fighter-squadron, I believe it boils down to Se5 vs Camel as the ultimate plane at the end of the upgrade line? Personally I'm not bothered, I like both (both have their pros and cons) and I'd flip a coin. But if enough of you have a real preferance the only fair thing to do is have a show of hands. If not I'll just flip that coin. :ok:

Oh yes, the question of mixture...auto on or auto off. What say ye (this question is to the pilots of both sides)? I don't have a lever for it but I'm happy to do it off my keyboard with numbers 1 to 10 (10% increments). It's a handful but I'm sure it'd become second nature after a while. A show of hands on this too please. :good:

Edited by Siggi

The Pfalz flight model was considerably improved in the latest (?) patch, so there's no need to avoid the plane in campaign mode anymore. If the weak wings of the Albs D.III and D.V/D.Va are causing trouble, the sturdy Pfalz is a great choice. I wouldn't mind having to fly it in this experimental DiD campaign.

Not that I have much hope of ever getting enough hours in the DFW to be able to transfer to a real Jasta. Better just get used to being a career Bombenflieger. :grin:

Oh yes, the question of mixture...auto on or auto off. What say ye (this question is to the pilots of both sides)? I don't have a lever for it but I'm happy to do it off my keyboard with numbers 1 to 10 (10% increments). It's a handful but I'm sure it'd become second nature after a while. A show of hands on this too please. :good:

I've been using only auto mix for a couple of months - it gives a more equal flying experience with the AI planes who are always able to make the maximum use of their planes' abilities in each situation.

I've been using the mixture historically. Use for those that had it and vice versa

I've been flying the Camel more than any other scout, and the Strutter 1 1/2 more than any other B/R. Both total DiD and manual mixture, so I'm good with whatever you decide Siggi. I'll try flying anything, anywhere. I say the more realistic we can make this the better.

Cheers!

Lou

Have never flown with manual mixture controll. I don't even know, what to do when.

So I would only prefer it, if it works better - like someone said a long time ago, you can

lean the mixture so, that the engine gets a little more speed?

Siggi, no problem here with what we choose with regard to Camel or SE5- or the auto mixture. Personally, I haven't been able to get much more speed when trying to make the adjustments at the higher altitudes with the mixture settings. On standby

I'd suggest leaving 'mixture' as a choice, rather than a 'must do'. I don't have the real-life time to arse around with figuring it out.

I'd agree with Baldric on the mixture, it's a small thing to be left to individual choice. As to final aircraft, my long-term (relatively speaking :grin: ) pilot is a Camel jockey and as I'v only time to play one campaign of an evening I'd prefer an SE5 for the change of scene... but it's no biggie. 'Course, if you start in the RNAS then it'll be after April 1918 before you could get a crack at an SE5 unless you change service and join the RFC.

Sir Siggi, I vote fliers choice for mixture. You have another good idea with this DiD campaign sir. May it prosper and provide a another fun aspect to our communal experience.

Baron von Olham, I have nothing against the Pfalz. I will be happy with any decisions. I await orders.

Let us remember there are additional planes coming from team OBD at some point. They will perhaps be assigned to some of the squads/jastas. Not that it will be a problem. :ok:

Edited by Rickitycrate

Good point, Rickitycrate. Jasta 6 would get the E.V I think. Not sure about Jasta 2 and 4.

RAF Louvert, didn't you post a detailed list of Jastas, that got the E.V?

Could you lead me there again, Sir?

If we hold this Did Campaign together that long it would be nice to get into the new "additional" crates, IMO.

I have a request re pilot's names. If we're going to load them in our roster, I'd have a personal preference that we devise a scheme so we know who that pilot represents. For example, I'd like to know if Olham's in my flight but just having his pilot's name in there, I might not remember who represents whom. I thought about combining the two like nicknames in my case...Johann 'Lucky' Perrmann for example.

I've been studying the DFW C.V in a desperate attempt to possibly improve my chances of survival. It's an interesting two-seater that performed very well in every front that it was in use in reconnaissance, observation and bombing missions. The DFW C.V was produced in greater numbers than any other German aircraft of WW1 (this was news to me) with over 3200 planes built. It was used by the Austrians and even the Ottomans in addition to Germany. After the war Finland, Estonia, Poland, Bulgaria and the Netherlands also operated the DFW.

Now I'm going to create a test pilot flying the DFW. :grin:

Now I have checked Jasta 6 until May 1918, when they get the D VII, and they really move around.

Here is a map of their moves.

Also I list the aerodromes and aircraft here now. I'll try to check the same for Jasta 4 later on.

Albatros D II

30.10. - 28.12.1916 Ugny-l'Equippee

29.10. - 31.12.1916 Vaux-en-Vermandois

01.01. - 06.03.1917 Vaux-les-Rubigny

07.03. - 19.03.1917 Wassigny

Albatros D III early

20.03. - 17.05.1917

18.05. - 22.05.1917 Premont

Albatros D III

23.05. - 08.06.1917

09.06. - 01.07.1917 Bisseghem

Albatros D V

02.07. - 20.11.1917

21.11. - 12.12.1917 Lieu-St.-Amand

Albatros D Va

13.12. - 01.01.1918

Fokker Dr.1

02.01. - 20.03.1918

21.03. - 31.03.1918 Awoingt

01.04. - 04.04.1918 Lechelle

05.04. - 09.04.1918 Harbonnieres

10.04. - 20.05.1918 Cappy

Fokker D VII

21.05. - Guise

Edited by Olham

Hasse, in my test I've managed two campaign days, four flights, and almost 4 hours worth of survival, but I've been reallyyyyyyy careful- almost went down to a DH yesterday when they attacked the FA(A)250 field, managed to land in a nearby field with the DFW riddled...total time for that one was five minutes lol. I think survival is doable, but its going to be hard.

Has anyone got a handle on the FF MG? I can't see the target when I 'bend' down to sight along the iron sights as a chunk of the frame model blocks view, and F6 isn't any better--- my shots go all over the place (6% acc)-- for now I've given up on the pilots mg.

Edited by Baldric

I vote for manual or auto mix is pilot's choice. As for a/c type, just like the flyers of old, you get what's available at the the time...so no preference on my end.

Regards,

Royce

The French could be in there, if enough people would fly their side.

The French could be in there, if enough people would fly their side.

The general idea is to add more units if and as when more people join, otherwise we'll end up with loads of units with just a couple of chaps in each. The German side doesn't have this problem, us allies will just have to bear it, hopefully only for a while. :dance2:

Mixture and trim will be player's choice.

The website is up. I may change/add/screw around with stuff still, but it's functional.

http://www.hetzer.talktalk.net/

Edited by Siggi