Sign in to follow this  
Siggi

Volunteers needed for DiD campaign.

Just to gauge possible interest.

It's a DiD thing, but under the full 'pure DiD' settings (no T, L etc).

Set a start date (eg, a week from now) and apply that date within the campaign, to run in real time. So Oct or Nov in 1915 or 1916 as a start (not even sure if the game runs from oct/nov 1915).

Everyone joins a squadron/jasta of their choice, but it would be nice to see as many people as possible in the same sq/jasta (respectively).

Fly when you like. If you miss a day just advance the time in the game next time you fly to keep sync with real time.

Stats recorded on nice sq/jasta pages on my website.

Hopefully you can see where I'm going with this, but any questions fire away. :good:

I kind of feel it would be a pleasant new twist, community-spirit thang, all on the same page sort of deal. Each pilot's entry could have a link back to a logbook/diary here. Waddaya reckon, any interest? If enough people say "yes" I'll do it. I think the current killboard has died the death because it lacks that all-inclusive pull, if that makes sense.

New DiD website is now here: http://www.hetzer.talktalk.net/

Edited by Siggi

What I understood: all participants will

- start a campaign at the same (yet to be fixed) date

- fly their missions absolutely DiD without any crutches

- present their updated logs after every flight on your (yet to be created) website

That sounds like a most immersive idea for action and exchange.

Some might even add more to it by writing Combat Reports (into that sticky) after some sorties.

One question from me:

Surely, many of us will die under such circumstances, before they get careful enough with that pilot

to make it over a longer time.

How will you proceed in those cases? Will they

a) start at that time with a new pilot then (with all victories and medals gone, of course)?

or will they

b) drop out of the competition, until it's "last man standing"?

What I understood: all participants will

- start a campaign at the same (yet to be fixed) date

- fly their missions absolutely DiD without any crutches

- present their updated logs after every flight on your (yet to be created) website

That sounds like a most immersive idea for action and exchange.

Some might even add more to it by writing Combat Reports (into that sticky) after some sorties.

One question from me:

Surely, many of us will die under such circumstances, before they get careful enough with that pilot

to make it over a longer time.

How will you proceed in those cases? Will they

a) start at that time with a new pilot then (with all victories and medals gone, of course)?

or will they

b) drop out of the competition, until it's "last man standing"?

When a pilot dies the player will transfer-in a new one, to start at the date current at that time. KIA and POW entries will be moved to the bottom.

Okay. I'd be with you there.

If you want to do the whole war though, it would take really 4 years.

I would suggest, not to start with the Eindecker as a German.

The first real fighter craft would be the Halberstadt. The Albatros D I

even better.

So I'd suggest the German Jasta to be Jasta 1, 2, 5 or 6.

Okay. I'd be with you there.

If you want to do the whole war though, it would take really 4 years.

I would suggest, not to start with the Eindecker as a German.

The first real fighter craft would be the Halberstadt. The Albatros D I

even better.

So I'd suggest the German Jasta to be Jasta 1, 2, 5 or 6.

I don't think anyone would be keen on doing the whole war, they'd be locked into very crappy planes for a long time. Thus 1916, I think the planes from oct or nov of that year are tolerable for both sides.

As for which units, a player can choose his own from those available in the campaign, but it would be preferable if as many players as possible could agree on a common unit for each side and properly fill them up. :)

This sounds fun! Count me in. I'll be in the lead for most avatars used drinks.gif

Normally I fly for the Imperial Air Service and would prefer that, however for sake of fun, I'm willing to crash machines from other nations as well.

Edited by Baldric

This sounds very interesting and immersive. I'll sign up as well drinks.gif

IMHO..I like the last man standing aspect of the "competition". Gives everyone a genuine reason to be careful with their pilot.

Everyone could choose a side and a unit. If you are eliminated early, your out, until the last man is left and wins; and then a new group, area and unit is initiated.

For those "killed" early on..they would go back to their normal simming until the competition starts again. Is that basically it?

Regards,

Royce

From what I can tell, it looks like Fall 1916 would be the earliest, as several units in 1915 don't have flyable machines. I like the idea of being able to roll up a new pilot and carry on as a replacement, especially since pure DiD(no tac, warp,labels etc) would mean the competition suggested above would be likely over in a couple of days at most grin.gif

May I make some suggestions for the German side here?

A) For start in 1916:

Jasta 2, 5 or 6 get the most types.

B) For start in 1917:

1. Jasta 5 with Albatros D V, D Va, Fokker Dr. 1 and all D VII variants to come (will move along the middle from Boistrancourt to Cappy)

2. Jasta 6 with Albatros D V, D Va, Fokker Dr. 1 and all D VII variants to come (will move from north to mid sector)

Sounds very interesting. Will it be an online or an offline "campaign" ?

Sounds very interesting. Will it be an online or an offline "campaign" ?

It would be offline. People could fly for it as and when they wished and fly other stuff too. It's not a competition or anything. :)

It would be offline. People could fly for it as and when they wished and fly other stuff too. It's not a competition or anything. :)

wouldn't that be great (phase 20). a real dynamic campaign online with other members. so you make a real campaign as you make now, only with olham and wels, OvS and others on your side, while you might meet coincidentally enemies named siggi and widowmaker and all the other krumpets, doing their real dynamic campaign?

Sign me up. I would be willing to join any squadron and time that you choose. drinks.gif Sounds like fun. I've not flown without the Tac for long, so I may go down early.

I can't believe how much I've come to rely on the TAC. Ok, so here is my first submission (with mission reports to follow up in the Reports from the Front thread) -- I won't submit my first fellow as he died five minutes in.

23 October 1916

Squad- Jasta 6

Forum Nik/Callsign. Baldric

DiD Rating Pure DiD

Pilot name. Willi Meyer

Rank. Unteroffizier

A/C. Albatros DI

Number of missions flown. 2

Number of hours flown (rounded down to whole number). 1

Number of claims. 1

Number of confirmed kills. 0

Awards given. 0

Can you join with a pilot for this, Creaghorn?

Balders, it hasn't started yet. Or has it? Siggi??

Edited by Olham

Balders, it hasn't started yet. Or has it? Siggi??

Bloody hell, no it hasn't. :yikes: It needs the web stuff done before it starts, and unless a good number of people want it there's not a lot of point. Ideally we'd want a full sq on each side, but I can see barnies happening over sq a/c, so there'd be more than one sq per side inevitably. But the numbers of people playing OFF have increased a lot since RoF went down the pan, so 24+ per side would seem achievable if enough like the idea, spread over two or three fighter & bomber squadrons per side. It'd be a role-playing gig kind of thing, sort of tie us all together in a common time-line and unit-formation deal. Obviously we wouldn't be physically flying together, that would require an online war, but it'd be the next best thing. The great humam imagination would fill in the blanks. I just think it would be nice to play the game that way, and for pilots to have a common home as it were, a squadron/jasta web-page with stats and stuff on it.

Anyway, as I say, if enough people show an initial interest I'll get it going, and hopefully more people would join along the way. It just needs a good seeding. :cool:

I'll give it a go, Siggi, sounds as if it'd definitely add to the enjoyment.

May I propose a couple of variations/enhancements?

1) I suggest that you, as the arbiter of the thing, should offer a limited number of units to choose from, say two or three from each nation, that we may join.

2) For further immersion, once everyone has signed up with their chosen Jasta, Squadron or Escadrille we each take the in-game names of the others who've chosen the same unit and amend the other (AI) names in our unit accordingly, so that we are actually flying with them, albeit in their AI personas. I think it would be intersting too, to see whose AI alter ego survives the longest and scores the highest and with whom.

Are you proposing both bomber and fighter units to be available?

Dohh, my bad. Just got excited by the idea. Appologies..call my bit a test run- it works and is fun! drinks.gif

Siggi, perhaps we have a poll, asking

- whether it should be in 1916 or 1917

- north, middle or southern sector; or a lot of moving

- what Squadron/Jasta would be favoured

- what aircraft everyone definitely wants to fly top most

Just an idea.

Can you join with a pilot for this, Creaghorn?

i would like to.

just for some rules. usually there are missions i skip because not realistic, german offensive patrols deep over enemy lines, scrambles against scouts etc.

would i have to do them here? or skip them?

I'll give it a go, Siggi, sounds as if it'd definitely add to the enjoyment.

May I propose a couple of variations/enhancements?

1) I suggest that you, as the arbiter of the thing, should offer a limited number of units to choose from, say two or three from each nation, that we may join.

2) For further immersion, once everyone has signed up with their chosen Jasta, Squadron or Escadrille we each take the in-game names of the others who've chosen the same unit and amend the other (AI) names in our unit accordingly, so that we are actually flying with them, albeit in their AI personas. I think it would be intersting too, to see whose AI alter ego survives the longest and scores the highest and with whom.

Are you proposing both bomber and fighter units to be available?

Dej, you could change the AI names if you'd like, but that might become a little tedious once chaps started dying. But you'd be the only one to see it, so that'd be a personal-immersion call I guess. I certainly wouldn't stipulate it as a rule.

Choosing the squads/jastas is a sticky point. Everyone has their personal favourites amongst the a/c, immediately flyable or ones to come in a particular unit. Not sure how to cover that, unless a shed-load of chaps want to come aboard right off the bat. It's a tempting idea to start everyone off in bomber units, one squad for each side, and as numbers of players increase the older hands could transition to fighter units (as it was in reality for many observers/pilots).

Stats on the sq page would be:

Forum nick.

Date joined.

Rank and name.

Hours flown.

Total claims.

Confirmed kills.

Awards.

The mind-set would need to be one of survival and hours flown rather than kills. Kind of a reality-vs-Rambo ethos. And that's also the thinking behind making this a pure-DiD deal. And I'm obviously aware of hardware-limitations faced by some players, but then I figure that can be encompassed to a point by the individual frailties of real pilots...lack of TiR = poor eyesight for example.

Anyway, this is at a chomping-over-ideas stage at this point, and seeing how many people are up for it. :)

i would like to.

just for some rules. usually there are missions i skip because not realistic, german offensive patrols deep over enemy lines, scrambles against scouts etc.

would i have to do them here? or skip them?

Your call old chap, the real people had their ways of getting around stuff. ;)

It's a tempting idea to start everyone off in bomber units, one squad for each side, and as numbers of players increase the older hands could transition to fighter units (as it was in reality for many observers/pilots).

I rather like that idea. I tend not to fly bombers and I feel there's a lot I'm missing. Wouldn't mind being 'forced' into it... in the nicest possible way.

Limiting the units available to choose from would save you work, Siggi, which was partly behind my suggestion. But I know where you're coming from with the point about people's preferences... I'd want an RNAS unit in there so as I could fly my beloved Tripe, for example. Maybe Olham's suggestion of a poll would work... I'd abide by the outcome.

I wasn't suggesting variation #2 be a rule, it'd be overly complex to monitor. It's just something for people to try. I shall give it a go if this gets off the ground... I rather like the idea of an AI Olham or AI Creaghorn saving my virtual ass, zum Beispiel... or vice versa. :grin: On the other hand I shall blame them if they let me die :no:

But anyway, discussion aside. I hope people sign up, 'cos it sounds both fun and community-building.

Hi Siggi i'll be in, the only reason i don't use the kill board at the moment is that every time i posted a pilot he would get it on the next mission..........

By the way it's about time you all visited the MP games on a sunday.....