- Jaws

- Alien 3

- Lethal Weapon 4

- Mission Impossible 3

- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

- Arabeske

- Rendezvous with Joe Black

- Once upon a time in the west

Now, I really like Bruce Willis, and also Brad Pitt; Alien and Jaws - classic monsters!

Claudia Cardinale in that Spaghetti Western - sexy! (but god, that must have been 40 years ago).

Although I'm not watching TV very often - I must have seen all these movies

more than three times (felt: a dozen times)!

Should I make another sortie? Read a little more? Go to bed early?

I must be so drunk from the wealth of the west, I'm in a delirium!

Edited by Olham

A conundrum indeed. A few drinks may aide in digestion and make the movies more palatable. Perhaps a bit of flying.

Its the same here what shall we show everyone who have eaten too much drunk not enough... I know lets show repeats... Me I have avoided TV all day and I will be flying...

I miss the Great Escape!..after all, where Christmas is concerned, I would love to jump on a Motorcycle and make a bid for freedom!

@ Olham:

Are those movies dubbed in German? What must Robert Shaw's character sound like in "Jaws"? How would his line sound...." Here's to swimmin'....". For some reason I find this idea hysterically funny....

Locally, we see lots of these old movies on Mexican TV stations that broadcast across the border. They're sometimes hilarious too, because the Mexican Spanish dubbing doesn't really match the original story line sometimes, and they use silly accents. Loads of fun to watch.

For the record, we're watching dvds of old 3 Stooges shorts tonight.

Edited by VonGuber

Once Upon a Time in the West. Great flick! The only movie where I hated Henry Fonda's character.

VonGuber,

I did the same. I have a collection of 3 Stooges WWII shorts. Man those were funny!

German TV sucks, not true?  BTW, I thought exactly the same yesterday!

Anastasios

Von Guber, the German synchronisation in "Jaws" is actually very good.

I don't know, how Robert Shaw sounds in English, but in German he sounds a real "salty dog".

They have very good studios for that job, and choose the voices carefully.

John Wayne was said of, that he even preferred "his" German voice to his own as more tough.

They take care, that they even hit the movements of the mouth, so it doesn't look too strange.

But for you it would be funny, as you know another voice. I have once seen a German movie

in Norway, and it was ridiculous for me to hear that language out of German mouths.

Well I could see once more, and once more Once Upon a Time in the West, or any other Leone's movies.

Besides being a WWI buff I'm also a classical movie buff.

Von Guber, the German synchronisation in "Jaws" is actually very good.

I don't know, how Robert Shaw sounds in English, but in German he sounds a real "salty dog".

They have very good studios for that job, and choose the voices carefully.

John Wayne was said of, that he even preferred "his" German voice to his own as more tough.

They take care, that they even hit the movements of the mouth, so it doesn't look too strange.

But for you it would be funny, as you know another voice. I have once seen a German movie

in Norway, and it was ridiculous for me to hear that language out of German mouths.

Yes, exactly. I didn't mean to imply that the German language is funny, or that the movies wouldn't be done well. Just that it would be completely out of place to hear certain characters speaking in German, and that struck me as funny.

From Robert Shaw's performance in "Jaws"

"I'd like ta see the look on that taxidermy man's face, when he sees what I brung'em"

Sorry . . I just can't . . rationalize that in German

It would go something like this

ich möchte ta sehen den Blick auf diesem Taxidermie-Mann-Gesicht, wenn er was ich brung'em sieht

We were alright here, Aces High was on today!

I remember it was on on Christmas Day last year, doesn't seem very Christmasy to me, but I'm not complaining. grin.gif

"Aces High"?!? On Christmas!?! You lucky blighter!

A few years ago my wife treated me to the full Sky HD+ package.

Just means I now have 300 channels of crap, instead of 5.

i agree that dubbed movies are often not as good as the original. but i must say that german dubbing is one of the best and most professional in the world. so good that i sometimes even like more the original voices. i can't imagine watching robert deniro without his german voice, the same for bruce willis.

a lot of movies only had such hughe success because of german dubbing, like all bud spencer and terence hill movies. in original they were much less funny and with vewer verbal jokes. same for the series The Persuaders. since it was a flop in most countries, it had a hughe success in germany, because the dubbing put it into another level with it's jokes.

Yes, I think that the version you hear second, will always feel funny.

I saw "Die Hard" in German first, and liked the voice and verbal style of Bruce Willis -

it felt just like being actually him speaking.

Later I saw the movie in the American original language, and it felt funny - his German

voice sounded better to me.

For Robert de Niro they have in some movies worked with a different German voice

than he usually has - it didn't feel right.

And Dr. Hannibal Lecter - I saw him in original sound recently - is double thrilling with

his German voice.

Old US westerns or Barack Obama, dubbed in the France language are the most funny of them all!!!!  :drinks:  There is even a yoke made by a Belgian comedian Urbanus about this. 

I think the problem with dubbing is that you must learn besides your native language another decent language, which now a days is English. Dubbing like in Italy or France does limiting children in reading and the English language skills. 

In Portugal there isn't the habit to dub movies; only the movies for kids, because some can't read yet.

Personally I can't see a movie without their original voices. Even knowing that the technique is almost perfect in some cases, the result is always a complete artistic assassination of the acting and in the end the movie itself.

The acting act is unique and if it involves voice than it cannot be separated from the rest. Even if we can mimic in perfectness the subtlety of the actor's voice tones it won't never be the same as the original it will be a forgery, a fake. In the end it will be an interpretation of the dub actor and not the original act.

There is a special "weight" in an actor, and that is given by his stature, his physical presence, his performance and of course his voice.

Can you imagine dubing the voice of Bruno Ganz in the "Der Untergang" or even in "Der Himmel uber Berlin" by an american actor? or seeing Gérard Depardieu, Klaus Kinski, Marcello Mastorianni, etc, without their original voices. Well I just can't.

For me Cinema is art and the final outcome should be what the Director has devised. And that includes the original voices.

EDIT:

I think the problem with dubbing is that you must learn besides your native language another decent language, which now a days is English. Dubbing like in Italy or France does limiting children in reading and the English language skills.

That's true. That's why is not uncommon to find a Portuguese that speaks a second or a third language.

That's not even theright way to "defend" their native languages. The school is the place for such battle.

Edited by Von Paulus

The funniest dubbing was made for "Der Rote Baron":

German actors had originally played/spoken their roles in English,

as it was meant to be an international production by Warner.

For the German market now, these actors had to speak their German text

on their own English mouth movements.

You have a good culture there with watching the original movie, von Paulus,

and maybe you even learn foreign languages that way.

On the other hand, it can be very irritating or destructing, to read the text

lines underneath, and sometimes they can really spoil the pictures.

Edited by Olham

I'm in the same camp as Von Paulus. My examples would be two semi-recent Chinese art flics, 'Crouching Lion, Hidden Dragon' and 'Hero'--- I watch both in original language and find it a way more satisfying experience than the distraction of poor subtitles and worse dubbing. I don't understand 95% of what the dialogue is, but the acting and cinematic quality is so well done it doesn't take much imagination to get the idea of whats happening. Sometimes on the lessor flics I'll have a quick watch in English, then later watch in original language. Its not torturous if the flic is of good artistic quality.

On the other hand, it can be very irritating or destructing, to read the text

lines underneath, and sometimes they can really spoil the pictures.

Because I'm used to it, since always, it his like a second nature to me. I don't get distracted. It's more difficult when I see a Japanese movie with English subtitles instead my native language, but it only takes a couple of minutes to be mentally synchronized.