Sign in to follow this  
WildAnimal

Ultra Light Jet Fighter

I like in flight simulators to fly small light jet fighters, made me think of two questions.

1. What is the best Light Fighter of all time in its operational period, always thinked the F-5 was really good.

2. Has there ever been an ultra light fighter?

I like in flight simulators to fly small light jet fighters, made me think of two questions.

1. What is the best Light Fighter of all time in its operational period, always thinked the F-5 was really good.

Your questions are a bit fraught with pitfalls:

1. 'Light' and 'Ultra Light' are very relative terms. For instance, a F-105 might be considered 'light' against a fighter like the 'Fiddler', but is a heavy aircraft compared to something like the F-104.

2. The term 'best' is too vague and also full of opinions...best turn, speed, radius of action, cost effectiveness?

Your questions are interesting for discussion, but don't expect any absolutes.

FC

To Q1 i would say yes, the F-5, althought saw not to much action to prove it. Otherwise, Mirage III and F-16. Coincidentally all of them tried in combat by the IDFAF (or their pilots)

To Q2, i would say Gnat, Gyna, F-86 and MiG17 could fit the term

Edited by macelena

@FastCargo: A good discusion is fine by me. Hard to difinitive answers with so many factors involved.

@Macelena: Good sugjestions, don't know much about the Gnat or Gyna, will research those planes.

Would it be a posibility to design a Ultra Light fighter which could match the F-15, MIG-29 or newest Heavy fighters?

Again, it would depend on what you want it to do?

Being able to carry as many missiles or weapons as a F-15? Same range, etc. Any aircraft that can do that is no longer light.

Out turning an F-15 or MiG-29? Sure, but what are you willing to sacrifice...range? Speed? Weapons capability? Being manned?

Again, your conditions are vague.

FC

Again, it would depend on what you want it to do?

Being able to carry as many missiles or weapons as a F-15? Same range, etc. Any aircraft that can do that is no longer light.

Out turning an F-15 or MiG-29? Sure, but what are you willing to sacrifice...range? Speed? Weapons capability? Being manned?

Again, your conditions are vague.

FC

I see the role of Light fighters to be defensive weapon systems, quickly taking off and intercepting other planes, outmanouvering them, using the missiles and land to be re-equiped and refueled.

so would sacrifice range, and weapons capability and amount of missiles, but not speed and climbing ability.

It ofcourse on the logistic point it should be very cost effective. Don't know if you can make such a plane to match the planes used to the top airforces today, thinking F/A-18, F-15, and MIG-29

I see the role of Light fighters to be defensive weapon systems, quickly taking off and intercepting other planes, outmanouvering them, using the missiles and land to be re-equiped and refueled.

so would sacrifice range, and weapons capability and amount of missiles, but not speed and climbing ability.

It ofcourse on the logistic point it should be very cost effective. Don't know if you can make such a plane to match the planes used to the top airforces today, thinking F/A-18, F-15, and MIG-29

Based on Combat Proven effectiveness, worldwide sales, cost effectiveness and safety record the F-16 would be the best lightweight fighter jet of all time - however even though that started out as a LWF (F-16A ~16,000lbs empty) its ended up as a much heavier beast of late (F-16E Over 22,000lbs empty).

People have tried to make similar lightweight jets - check out the AIDC F-CK-1 Ching-kuo from Taiwan, and the JF-17 (China/Pakistan).

Modern A-A combat does not involve trying to merge with an opponent like in glorified scraps of old - the F-22/F-35 aims to remain undetected and kill an opponent before they know whats hit them. Even if not dealing with a stealth scenario it will be the jet with the better avionics, missiles, support and tactics that probably prevails - which should be long before they see each other. Thats a reason why the F-16E is still a top class lethal weapon.

There are alot of planes for me to discover i see, sadly i can't find any of them for Strike Fighters 2 by Third-Wire. if anyone can help I would be happy.

I can find som for Strike Fighters 1, not in the version 2 plane-add on section.

Can they be used without problems?

Some can be dropped in flawlessly, others need some tweaking, but everything is usable if you know what to do (knowledgebase has it all)

Also on this listing as well dont forget that a lot of light fighters are based on Trainers :-

Folland Gnat/Ajeet(is the Indian Air Force fighter) The basic idea of the Gnat was to produce a lightweight fighter.

Also I think that we are missing one vital Airplane here as at the time it was a lightweight shortranged defence fighter:-

The Wait for it MIG 21/J-7 on numbers alone its up there...

Also on the Trainers listing you have the :-

BAe Hawk

The T50 A50 Korean Jet Trainer Golden Eagle Thingy...

The latest Russian trainer

The M346 and the Russian equivalent

And in the late 50's early 60's dont forget the :-

F-11 Tiger

I wouldn't class the F-16 as a light fighter more of a medium weight fighter...

But to cap it all what is a light fighter ??? You start out with a light fighter idea F-16 F/A-18 and it gets weighed down and turned into a medium weight. The list could go on but I will stop there me thinks...

If you get into subsonic trainer derivates, then you must include the l-159. Although the actual integration did not take place (money, money, money,..) the plane is designed with BVR missile capability. As it already has A2A radar probably the only thing not done was firing a few missiles to "certify" it. In simulated combats with Netherlands (don't remember for sure) F-16s, with the type in service for about two weeks, it was quicky found that it is a bad idea to allow the ALCA to close...

Also back during the Cold war the Czechoslovak airforce had excelent results with using l-39s against low and slow intruders.

With price of modern fighters steadily creeping beyond 100 000 000 USD such designs may come as good solution for smaller/poorer nations as a way to maintain adequate force levels.

Oh, and I am not making this up, it was all written in official manufacturer documents (that meanwile dissapered form their web).

The MiG-21 is one of the most widely produced and used light fighters of all time. Some variants got heavy during the end of the run, but lots of them are still in service despite being almost 2 decades older than the F-16.

I would set the (normal combat) weight of 10 tonnes as the border between light fighters and medium fighters.

No. It was a Trainer or an ground attacker. Never a fighter. The west german intended to use the Alpha Jet as helicopter destroyer and trained it using CH-53 as mock up enemy. After the unification of Germany they tested it with a Mi-24. After this test the heli destroyer role of the Alpha Jet was more than dead.

1 What about Messerschmitt Bf109? It wasn't exactly a big plane.

2 McDonnell XF-85 Goblin. A fighter plane designed to be carried inside the B-36 peacemaker bomb bay.

F-85 Goblin

Edited by shotdown

That goblin plane looks really funny, would hope that someone would make that for SF2... Anyway Think my favorite is the F-20 Tigershark, thats the one i really want.

In terms of ultralight fighters, putting it that way, the only plane that comes to mind that could fulfill that criteria would be the polish project "Skorpion"... :yes:

In terms of ultralight fighters, putting it that way, the only plane that comes to mind that could fulfill that criteria would be the polish project "Skorpion"... :yes:

picture plz :clapping:

That goblin plane looks really funny, would hope that someone would make that for SF2... Anyway Think my favorite is the F-20 Tigershark, thats the one i really want.

Already a WIP

I'm just picturing a hang glider with a jet engine attached to it while the guys holds an M-16...an Ultra Light, Jet Fighter.