Sign in to follow this  
vyrago

OFF or RoF? Help the n00b!

Hey guys, I know this may have been done to death but im just discovering the realm of WWI combat sims, having been a long time Falcon 4/FSX simmer. I've tried the RoF demo and its intriguing. Since I cant really 'try' OFF, and dont even yet have CFS 3 I really need to know what the differences are. I've watched a few youtube vids about OFF and i'm aware that there are more flyable aircraft in OFF. (there are right?)

whats the load time of OFF like? RoF takes forever to load.

what is the combat/gameplay like? is there padlocking?

can someone recommend a good youtube vid that really shows off Over Flanders Fields?

as it stands, Rise of Flight is easy to get. I can purchase (for $20) right online and start flying. But if I want to commit to OFF, I'll have to order both CFS 3 and the OFF DVD.

Do it Vyrago. You won't regret it.

Yes, there is a padlock view with CFS3, but the downside of CFS3 is that there isn't any recording of your flight for you to review. You can run fraps to record what your screen sees, but not separate views at the same time. Sounds a bit grim, but you can get used to it, and it doesn't spoil your enjoyment. You can make good vids, but it takes a lot more work and staging of events. That's a hard coded CFS3 deficiency built in which add-ons have to live with.

That apart, OFF BhaH itself is second to none. Welcome aboard.

As for combat, depends on your settings, but it can be so real it isn't fun but a white knuckle race for survival.

Edited by Flyby PC

Hey guys, I know this may have been done to death but im just discovering the realm of WWI combat sims, having been a long time Falcon 4/FSX simmer. I've tried the RoF demo and its intriguing. Since I cant really 'try' OFF, and dont even yet have CFS 3 I really need to know what the differences are. I've watched a few youtube vids about OFF and i'm aware that there are more flyable aircraft in OFF. (there are right?)

whats the load time of OFF like? RoF takes forever to load.

what is the combat/gameplay like? is there padlocking?

can someone recommend a good youtube vid that really shows off Over Flanders Fields?

as it stands, Rise of Flight is easy to get. I can purchase (for $20) right online and start flying. But if I want to commit to OFF, I'll have to order both CFS 3 and the OFF DVD.

Do you prefer online or offline play? If it's offline there's no choice really, it has to be OFF. It's more than just an excellent sim, it's an RPG too.

If you're looking for something more than online dogfights then OFF is the way. Apart from that fact, the support is better than you can dream of and the community is the best I've ever seen. The level of dedication over here reaches the "Passion for Life" status. My advice, even if you get RoF, get OFF too! You won't regret it, that is more than sure!!!

Anastasios

Since I don't have RoF, I cannot judge about it really.

But I can read, and I saw, that there is little to none immersion factor, as we have in OFF.

Someone compared the two sims like this:

RoF is a hot one night stand with sobering up later - OFF is the right girl for a long relationship

What I can say is: most of us are really so deep into their campaigns and pilots - as if we really

live in that Jasta / Squadron / Escadrille.

Everyone, who is at least a little bit into WW1 air combat, will find all the detail in OFF.

The skins of all the pilots with individual markings or paintings alone are more than 3200 !

And without any exaggeration:

OFF was the absolute best and most immersive air combat sim I ever found!

And, by the way: you CAN of course also fly it online - there are several people here,

who do that regularly and with great fun.

Here is the link to their site: http://www.overflandersfields.com

Before I drown you in more excitement, just short: OFF is made with LOVE !

For what it's worth (and Like Olham, I can't comment on RoF..as I don't have it, and don't see any need to)...OFF IS without a shadow of a doubt, the BEST Combat Sim I ever played...and when you consider the competition, that's pretty impressive.

Like a good woman...you have to make a bit of effort...yep, you have to have CFS3...But the rewards are well worth it :good:

As per Olham and Widowmaker I also dont have ROF and have only owned OFF for about 4 months and its both immersive in a the way you battle for your pilot and the attention to detail is second to none. Okay so the only hassle is CFS3 but once I had them both it was straightforward to run just read the manual and then followed the instructions and it works beautifully... The time and effort gone into making the sim shows as well and as Widow states the rewards are worth it... Also the forums here are fantastic and amusing...

YES! What they said, only with more of a Clark Gable quality in my voice. Welcome to the virtual skies of WWI Vyrago, hope you will have a long and glorious run with OFF. Also, new pilots buy the drinks.

drinks.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Vyrago,

If you have an affinity for all things WWI, then OFF is the way to go. It has a learning curve though, since these are not high powered planes. Even WWII planes perform better. They were low horsepower because of the technology of the day. So once you takeoff, you won't be hitting the ABs for a vertical climb to 30k. It takes time to climb to altitude, and the higher up you go over 8k ft, the more the performance degrades. So you will learn how to pick your fights. How to set up the perfect pounce, and get out of the line of fire before the enemy can respond.

And yes, there are many different planes to fly, including 2 seaters if you want to be a recon / bomber pilot. You can also pick different stages of the war to fly in. From the very early types, from 1915, up to the hot rods of 1918.

Just remember not to dive those "V" strut planes too steeply, or you will see you lower wing(s) sheer off. A common problem for them yet pilots soldiered on with them.

So for the investment, OFF offers a wider variety for offline play, from single missions to fully blown campaigns. And as Olham said, you can enjoy online play too. So you have the best of both worlds, if you don't mind the investment in time and effort.

Also, the customer support here is the best I've seen in a very long time. There are always many here willing to offer assistance for any issue that may arrise.

Just out of curiosity, what are your computer specs?

I'll make this short and sweet. I have both sims and fly both regularly, although I must admit that BH&H gets a lot more stick time. The question is.....are you looking for a WWI aircraft sim (RoF), or a WWI air combat sim (OFF BH&H)?

Allow me to contribute:

Unlike some of the others who posted here, I *do* own RoF, and OFFP3/HITR. I've literally followed both since their respective beginnings, and where OFF seems to be right on track, all you really get from RoF is a pretty face and a lot of promises about what it *will* be (some day).

Now, RoF may yet deliver on those promises; that remains to be seen. I will say that the Devs (NeoQB) have tried to be more responsive in communication with the community. However, I still find that RoF is closer to a "beta" than an actual game (and I'm not by far the only one to express that opinion). It lacks sorely in key areas of campaign, single player and even the multiplayer it claims is at it's heart. And, in my own opinion, of the two most promising features - flight model and damage model - only one really lives up to the claims. Or comes close, anyway:

The DM just isn't all that much more realistic than other sims, even though it's supposedly a dramatic step ahead of everything else. There are numerous discussions about how certain parts of aircraft don't respond to damage at all - one example is a rather long debate concerning the fact that a machine can 'drill in' (crash nose first into the ground) and the fuselage will remain intact. I can't swear the fuselage is *immune* to damage, but it certainly seems to be from what I've seen. At least it seems to survive what should've been substantial damage.

The FM is truly advanced and engaging, but even that still doesn't meet the hype that was generated before it came out: There was a video illustrating how each molecule of air surrounding the planes would be affected (and in turn, affect) the aircraft's flight disposition, and more notably that of objects around the aircraft - blades of grass on the ground, for example, behind a spinning prop. Many have now questioned all this dynamic modeling, because there are examples of where it just isn't there. And remember, this is one of the two biggest features of this 'revolutionary' sim.

So, I don't find at all that RoF lives up to what it claimed to be.

You *can* actually try OFF, just not P3...and I'm here to tell you - if you like what you can try, you'll absolutely **love** P3. I was skeptical, after having tried P1&2 of OFF...but what you read about Developer support is the absolute truth. These guys (OBD and team) have addressed most every issue I had with the earlier/free P1 and P2. And, they continue to impress by supporting this product, in most cases without even having to be asked (***VERY*** unlike RoF).

I believe it's still OK with OBD for us to 'share' P2, and I'll gladly send a copy (assuming you're in the US). Just remember that (in my opinion) there are substantial improvements between P2 and P3. Still, P2 will give you a good sense of the depth of this sim, it's quality and level of immersion.

A word about the support of the products: I find - strictly in my experience - that OBD is very responsive to their customers in terms of updates, patches, and support of OFF. Now, I'm not allowed to speak freely here concerning my opinion of RoF's developers and publisher...but I can say that it's a total understatement to say that it doesn't even come close to OBD and OFF. (If you wish, write me and I'll share my experiences in private with you; out of respect for OBD and their hosts at CA, I can't speak freely in public).

In summary, consider this: I recently purchased the HITR add-on to OFF, and will continue to support these gentlemen and their efforts. RoF, by comparison, was never even re-installed after a recent hard disk reload I did when I purchased two SSD's and built a RAID array. I mentioned the RAID array because it goes toward your question concerning load times...RoF *is* horrible, and I never found OFF anywhere near as bad. I'm sure the SSD RAID array would help, but you should'nt have to resort to that length and expense to get reasonable load times from a game.

RoF may well be what it was promoted as - one day. And I'd welcome that day...but it's far away right now, in my opinion, and I don't see the level of progress that would make me confident that it will get there any time soon. Too bad - but we'll see.

I wish you the very best of luck and happy flying, no matter what you decide.

• Like 1

Indeed!...Tamper has 'almost pursuaded me to buy it again!!! :grin:

Hey guys, I know this may have been done to death but im just discovering the realm of WWI combat sims, having been a long time Falcon 4/FSX simmer.  I've tried the RoF demo and its intriguing.  Since I cant really 'try' OFF, and dont even yet have CFS 3 I really need to know what the differences are.  I've watched a few youtube vids about OFF and i'm aware that there are more flyable aircraft in OFF.  (there are right?)

whats the load time of OFF like?  RoF takes forever to load.

what is the combat/gameplay like?  is there padlocking?

as it stands, Rise of Flight is easy to get.  I can purchase (for $20) right online and start flying.  But if I want to commit to OFF, I'll have to order both CFS 3 and the OFF DVD.

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!

With all respect to you, but do a search on simhq, riseofflightforum and here. There is also some discussion on  the aerodromeforum, try Google, only to get the right info for RoF/OFF3.   

But let me make one thing clear: do you own a Intel i7/i5 CPU and do you have a graphic-card with mem>512 starting from a GTX260,  ATI4870 or better. No then forget RoF and get OFF3.  To me it appears that only on a i7-CPU and GTX285 or HD58XX serie this game can be played at max settings. No SLI or CrossfireX mode or dual GPU card like the GTX295 or HD4870X2 are supported or are causing troubles in the game. 

BTW For a free WW1 experience, why not getting the free WW1-FS from ArgonV or if you own IL2-1946 you can always wait for the free release from CanvasKnights, see the AAforum for more details.   

Good luck!!!     

and I do run RoF and OFF3!!!!!!

Edited by Dutch_P47M

I have both also and there is no comparison in immersion, BHaH has ROF beat. Can't say about online as I have tried numerous times to get in an online match in ROF and always seem to have to wait more than 10 minutes to join, and i'm just not that patient. If you need a CFS3 CD I have two left from a 5-pack I bought a while back, new in shrink wrap from XPlosive. Cover the shipping and i'll send it out!

Just to add in again, people talk about CFS3 is if it's a dirty word. It is very limited as it comes out the box, but it also holds the key to some pretty engaging WW2 mods and updates. I do believe OFF is the best, but a heavily modded CFS3 is worth having a look at.

Maybe not much cop if WW1 is your thing, but in my opinion, it's not the piece of crap a lot of folks write it off to be. Takes a bit of work that's all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSthEjxecA

I'm playing the ROF demo now and it is very pretty. But the 'login' thing is a major PITA. And buying each one of your planes? Another PITA. I find OFF more 'scaleable' in terms of difficulty - there are 'flying aids' you can use which make the game much easier. Damn, ROF is HARD.

It's easy to find a copy of CFS3 online and it's easy to buy OFF. It is really a much, much more 'finished product' than ROF. I'm thinking maybe ROF will be 'done' in another year.

Thanks so much for the help and advice guys! I have ordered my copy of CFS 3 and OFF DVD today!! I expect them sometime next week, and I cant wait!

One of you asked about my computer specs:

AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+

2 gb ram

Geforce 9800 GT (1gb)

tons of HD space

should be ok right?

Thanks so much for the help and advice guys! I have ordered my copy of CFS 3 and OFF DVD today!! I expect them sometime next week, and I cant wait!

AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+

2 gb ram

Geforce 9800 GT (1gb)

tons of HD space

should be ok right?

welcome aboard. graphics card will work. processor should be ok may want more though

Edited by gordohk

AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+

2 gb ram

Geforce 9800 GT (1gb)

tons of HD space

should be ok right?

BHaH is single thread, using only one processor core. It also requires raw processor power. I ran BHaH with an AMD FX-57 (2.6 GHz, overclocked to 2.8) and it ran fine. I later upgraded to a dual core Opteron 185 (2.6GHz, OC'd to 3.0GHz), and it's even better.

Even though your 2GHz 939 processor is a little anemic, you should be okay as long as you reduce the graphics. It will still look great on low settings. Even the fastest machines can't run terrain detail on the max setting of 5. When you start configuring the game, ask for help here. Many of us have been able to tweak our machines for optimum performance. It takes some patience.

If you,ve been running FSX on your rig...you will be fine :good:

If vyrago is running a 3800 am2 socket and not the ancient 939 socket then he can upgrade the cpu without changing the motherboard. I agree a new processor would improve playing OFF immensely. I started OFF Phase 1 back in 2005 with an AMD X2 3800 939 socket. I had to keep the sliders at 2 becuz of artifacts and stuttering. I upgraded to an FX-60 and I was in heaven until the *&$#&^%# machine cratered. Go for OFF. I have all 3 versions. The only other sim I now fly is IL2 1946.

Welcome aboard vyrago, you won´t regret it, only, be prepared, you are going to miss your friends! New guy buys the drinks!!!

Anastasios

AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+

2 gb ram

Geforce 9800 GT (1gb)

tons of HD space

should be ok right?

I had OFF3 running on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU, AM2socket mobo, 2Gb-RAM and some Nvidia 7300-512 Vcard. So this will be not a problem for you. Check first the FAQ at the official OFF-site for all the adjustments, because that CFSconfig file is like garbage crazy.gif.

Edited by Dutch_P47M