Sign in to follow this  
xclusiv8

Anyone in the mood of making an English Electric Lightning cockpit.

Im in the process of making a highres skin for one of my favorite interceptors, the Lightning. Ive noticed that it lacks a real cockpit so i am wondering if any of you 3d making gurus is in the mood of making one.

You can find pictures and information on the cockpit here: http://www.lightning.org.uk/cockpit.html

Thank you.

heheh i agree. Im no 3d modeller or i would have done it myself.

By the way, this is the skin im attempting to creat. Its sure is not easy task. hehe. How long does it usually take for you guys to make one skin?

106_0681.jpg

It probably takes 4-8 times longer to create a passable cockpit, than it does to create an aircraft model. A high-quality cockpit model my take 10-12x longer.

An example: The 3D model for the TMF MiG-29A was completed in the space of three or four months. The cockpit took over 18 months.

It probably takes 4-8 times longer to create a passable cockpit, than it does to create an aircraft model. A high-quality cockpit model my take 10-12x longer.

An example: The 3D model for the TMF MiG-29A was completed in the space of three or four months. The cockpit took over 18 months.

wow i did not know that. well as i said. if anyone is in the mood :drinks:

wow i did not know that. well as i said. if anyone is in the mood :drinks:

That doesn't mean that no one will create one, just do not be discouraged if it takes a bit of time...and if someone does take up the challenge, I trust that you will not pester them for progress reports :good: There are a few people who just cannot seem to embrace our code of etiquette on that matter :yikes:

That doesn't mean that no one will create one, just do not be discouraged if it takes a bit of time...and if someone does take up the challenge, I trust that you will not pester them for progress reports :good: There are a few people who just cannot seem to embrace our code of etiquette on that matter :yikes:

I would never do such a thing :no: If someone wants to and has the time then I and the whole community proberbly would be very greatfull for theire time and effort. I just wanted to lay out the notion that someone i am interested in such a thing but i am not expecting anything :drinks:

By the way, this is the skin im attempting to creat. Its sure is not easy task. hehe. How long does it usually take for you guys to make one skin?

depends if you have to re-make the template from scratch or not. Meaning; if the national and/or squadron markings are painted on the skin, or they're decals.

if one has to rebuild the skin template, figure 1-2 days to redraw all the panel and rivet lines on the various bmps -which you then save a psds for reuse; the either create or reuse existing decals (btw: spinners has released a super set of RAF decals), dial in their positions and so forth. Not to forget serial numbers too

For a pit, I've been using the F-4Bs since Russo released it 4-5 years ago. Is it accurate? Not quite. Does it work? Damn right it do.

With a few "move" commands in the cockpit ini, you can take out certain items or control panels and so forth, and a little repainting of the cockpit bmps, to make it a little bit closer. *

wrench

kevin stein

*= an example of "moved" cockpit items would be my Yak Cockpit pak for the 25s/28, while not wholly accurate, you can see the removed Phantom weapons selection panel by it's absence. Check the D/L section Cockpits for a screenie

If you haven't started your new skin you might be interested to know that the No.56 Sqd skin from the Lightning Skin Pack (as opposed to the stand alone No.56 checkertail skin)contains a lovely 'blank' silver skin so you'd only need to knock up the decals for your No.145 squadron machine.

If you haven't started your new skin you might be interested to know that the No.56 Sqd skin from the Lightning Skin Pack (as opposed to the stand alone No.56 checkertail skin)contains a lovely 'blank' silver skin so you'd only need to knock up the decals for your No.145 squadron machine.

Ive started, im almost done with the blank silver part. Im making a 2048x2048 resolution skin. Ill check out the lightning pack. Thank you :drinks:

I just realised that the Lightning on the pic I posted is not an F6 model. :this: I just love that skin but i wanna keep it realistic. I have the basework done, the metallic part. Does anyone know where i can find good examples of how the RAF F6s were painted?

THank you.

I have Pics and indicators of the dials etc for the cockpit plus the data on the Airpass AI if that would help at all...

I have Pics and indicators of the dials etc for the cockpit plus the data on the Airpass AI if that would help at all...

I am currently building gauges for the FS2004 model and a panel that I downloaded from Flightsim. The model came without a panel and the panel gauges do not work in FSX. I have made some minor adjustments to the panel to get all the engine instruments in (if I ever publish it I will give full credit to the originators.)

I have found a number of cockpit pictures, mostly F6. I would like to get the F1A but I may have to compromise.

Anyway, one thing I am stumped on is the horizontal tape ASI. The pictures I have shows the tape from 0 to just over Mach1 with what looks like an orange indicator above the centre point. I am attaching a photo from the WWW.

post-58316-126821870071.jpg

Does anyone know how this gauge operated? Did the orange indicator move, did the Tape move or did they both? If the on-ground picture is accurate it is standing still 260 knots!

Hope you can help

klem

HI im running sf2e i have the lightning working but there's a small white rectangle between the tail planes.does any one have a fix for this ? thanks

we've seen that 'white spot' on several of the older models, when used in SF2. It's probably a defect in the LOD itself.

It can only be fixed in MAX, by the original modeler

wrench

kevin stein

After I made the F6 I did start a cockpit,but....have no time to complete it or even to mod much now....I did have original hi res fuselage psd file for it but it got overwritten inadvertantly...I did however restart the fuselage one...( the one I lost)...the other templates I have somewhere among 100+ cds\dvds....lol

I will try n find them

ps...show me that triangle,and will try n fix if it is indeed a glitch in the model...

if I can get max 9 to run on win 7...wouldnt last time...and I dont like max 10...F6 built with max 7 IIRC

Edited by russouk2004

Does anyone know how this gauge operated? Did the orange indicator move, did the Tape move or did they both? If the on-ground picture is accurate it is standing still 260 knots!

Hope you can help

klem

You can clearly see the that orange spot is on the 'cover' part of the gauge, so my guess is only the tape moves from left to right, which would be easy to setup in max.

You can clearly see the that orange spot is on the 'cover' part of the gauge, so my guess is only the tape moves from left to right, which would be easy to setup in max.

Thanks guys

Julhelm

that's what I was wondering. I have built a 2D cockpit version where the orange spot stays still and the tape moves behind it but I don't know if that was how it was.

Slartibartfast

I got your pm and replied. Many thanks.

klem