Sign in to follow this  
OvS

It's on in Afghanistan! Say a prayer for our Troops!

Seems a few news websites are starting to report it. Whatever offensive they have planned to attack that Taliban strong hold is now taking effect. Say a prayer for our men and women over there now, and wish them speedy success.

Although I personally am for this war, I am not for how long it's been goint on. It's about time we took it right to their doorstep and kicked it in. We're there to do a job, get 'er done!

OvS

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/02/12/afghanistan.offensive/index.html?hpt=T2

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,585681,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8513665.stm

Edited by OvS

LETS THE ASS BEATING OF THE TALIBAN BEGIN!!!!!!!!

The problem with offensive operations in anti guerilla warfare is that the enemy will retreat and hide. And if the troops are gone away the enemy will crawl out of his holes.

I have read an interessting article about the soviet Afghanistan war. One high ranking soviet officer told: "I think there was no square meter of afghan soil who as not stepped by soviet boots. But if the boots were gone away the enemy came back very fast."

The problem with offensive operations in anti guerilla warfare is that the enemy will retreat and hide. And if the troops are gone away the enemy will crawl out of his holes.

I have read an interessting article about the soviet Afghanistan war. One high ranking soviet officer told: "I think there was no square meter of afghan soil who as not stepped by soviet boots. But if the boots were gone away the enemy came back very fast."

Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, they (The Taliban) aren't hiding this time they are sticking around to fight. Quit reading crap from the past and read what's going on right now.

I think that unlike the Soviets we have cut off a lot more of the ways they will try to escape.Rumor has it that the Pakis may actualy be a little helpful on the border and who know if some SF types are there too just to make sure no one is sliping across the border.....rumors hehehe.

I'm proud of the Taliban, standing and fighting like that. I'm sure that the offensive forces are willing to help them to visit allah. Even the Germans got involved as they typically have taken a "hell no we won't go" stance in the middle east as of late. The taliban remind me of ants. You can't tell them to not invade your home, there's no reasoning with them. There's only you and them. And one has to go. The only thing you can do is kill them. And since I happen to like the people of the offensive forces I vote for death for the taliban. Just like the ants.

I hate the TALIBAN. They stand for everything I detest in the world today. They are cowardly terrorists and criminals and our troops will kick ass hopefully. Personaly I would rather just take off and nuke em from orbit. Its the only way to be sure. :salute:

Gd bless the Allies.

We've stuck around that hell hole long enough to learn first hand what IED's are and what they do.

We should teach them what MOAB stand for and what IT does...

No more Taliban stronghold town... any innocents killed can be considered persons harboring terrorists, which are enemies to NATO as well.

OvS

i dont know why american allies are so afraid of the terrorists that they are not sending their troops(including my country),its not just only americas war.

if at least 10 countries participate in this war fully,the talibans ass will be roasted.

but the taliban rises again and again because of the support by gulf countries and pakistan.

cut their supply lines and they will be dead.

i know its not simple as it sounds.

the marines need more "jokers".

On the one hand, you have the "let's not spend the money/risk our soldiers" mentality, which is that penny wise, pound foolish mentality. By saving now you're opening yourself up to having to pay more later. On the other, you have the "if we don't help fight them, they'll leave us alone" mentality, which is similarly flawed in that these scum link countries they're against by very flimsy reasoning. Just like bin laden said that everyone killed in the WTC towers was legitimate because although they weren't soldiers they were supporting a country that had policies that supported Israel blah blah blah... By their logic, it's ok to slaughter fertilizer salesmen because they help farmers to grow the crops that feed the leaders and soldiers that attack their people.

any innocents killed can be considered persons harboring terrorists, which are enemies to NATO as well.

OvS

:blink:

any innocents killed can be considered persons harboring terrorists

I hope OvS that those were words spoken from the heart..rather than the head?

Many civilians in towns harboring Taliban fighters, are doing so because they have been threatened by the Taliban with death if they dont.

Why not Kill every single man, woman and Child in Nazi Germany, because they were harboring assholes?

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Although not religious, I am with all who serve abroad in thoughts.

Good luck for them and the homefront!

Iwan

We've stuck around that hell hole long enough to learn first hand what IED's are and what they do.

We should teach them what MOAB stand for and what IT does...

No more Taliban stronghold town... any innocents killed can be considered persons harboring terrorists, which are enemies to NATO as well.

OvS

Would you imagine the FBI slaughter the whole rural population of the State of Michigan just to eradicate the few geeks of the Michigan Militia movements!? Don't do in other peoples' places what you wouldn't want to be done at yours...

Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, they (The Taliban) aren't hiding this time they are sticking around to fight. Quit reading crap from the past and read what's going on right now.

Hey yes, we are compelled to keep an eye on the past when the methods have not changed so far. I won't speak about Soviets in Afghanistan, but GIs in Vietnam. How many have there been there, of such huge, decisive, mediatized operations? Cedar Falls, Junction City, Attleboro? Ho yes, big body counts in every case, but no real change in the overall situation. It just seems that the recipes are just the same they were in the 60s: on the one hand, advanced technology, heavy weaponry, and theorical large superiority in firepower, but on the other hand, lenient and self-deceived intelligence, messianic overconfidence, and no more brains than a charging triceratops.

Moreover, at that time, the Vietcongs had support of North Vietnam, and Soviet Union further away. Today, the Talz have their rest places in Pakistan, and other supports in the Gulf principalities further away. It's just like kicking a centipede's leg and hoping he will stumble.

If you want at least one good lesson from the Vietnam War, better think of the Phoenix Program. I don't think that a single swift strike will end such a deeply-rooted movement, it's a long-term affair. An adaptation of the Phoenix Program covert ops, targeting accurate blows, would not eradicate the Talz, but slow and debilitate their moves enough to make them almost harmless, until tiredness evolve over time. But there could be pervert effects. During the Algerian Independence War, France used hoax tactics to have the enemy leaders tear themselves each other. The result was that amongst the Algerian leaders, the moderate doves perished and the die-hard hawks ruled. Algeria still suffers of that situation. The US should have supported Massoud sooner, it's too late now.

At least, I hope that CNN and FoxNews will take good pictures for the brave American taxpayers, 'cos that's probably all they will have in return.

Well, the Taliban are very good at what they do...this is going to be a very costly conflict for all concerned

i dont know why american allies are so afraid of the terrorists that they are not sending their troops(including my country),its not just only americas war.

I don't think our government is afraid of the tabliban (except for the usual "we can't afford many deaths if we want to win next ellection") What they are really afraid of is looking like "bad, militarist, aggresive" people. You know, they've been trying for years to convince people that our armed forces are actually some kind of "proffesional boy scouts" whose job is putting out fires, helping in situations like Haiti and this kind of things. And, of course, shooting at anyone (even if this anyone is a mass murderer terrorist) might be harmful for this fairytale picture they want to show us.

Edited by shotdown

Now they're saying Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the #2 guy to Mullah Omar, has been captured...in Pakistan, of course.

Now they're saying Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the #2 guy to Mullah Omar, has been captured...in Pakistan, of course.

If thats true..it will make the job much easier!...he's a very 'good' terrorist!!

Some interesting thoughts on this thread.

I'm for offing the Taleban, mainly because I see them as a backwardly facing force for the people of Afghanistan, particularly WRT the rights of women and those who don't wish to live by a very extreme and singular interpretation of the Qu'ran. Having said that, people should recognise that one reason that the Afghanis took to the Taleban is that they brought stability and peace into regions that they took over. You can flame me all you like for saying that: it happens to be true. That justice, obviously, was pretty harsh, and you could kiss goodbye to the rights of those outside the most strict readings of Islam - rather like promulgating a society based upon the Old Testament - however, it was a popular movement within Afghanistan. You cannot explain their success there otherwise, unless you wish to indulge in some fairly weird interpretations of what went on.

The problem that now exists in Afghanistan is multifaceted, and at its root is the distrust that Afghanis - probably well pissed off with being caught in somebody else's wars for three decades - feel about foreign intervention and having a government which, if not corrupt, shows so many warning signs of being so that they probably don't think it's worth the candle. Chuck in endemic lawlessness both outside and, latterly, inside Kabul, an economy that has to embrace narcotics to survive (and how well is that turning out? It's worth pointing out that the Taleban in power reined in poppy production quite severely - obviously it was unislamic and the penalties majorly severe) plus a distrust of the NATO forces within the country and you're looking at a long investment in changing the face of Afghanistan.

Not six months. Not a year or two. Not five years or so.

Try about three to four decades.

This is a country where the infrastructure is so poor, the educational attainment so poor, the prospects for 99% of Afghanis so limited - particularly the women, 50% of the population - that the only way that this can be turned around is by effectively calling it a nation building zone and to stop pretending that this can be done on the sly. It can't. The present government there was elected in the most dubious fashion, and I will guarantee that, like Iraq, the government of the country will fall into abeyance (at best) and anarchy (at worst) when the occupiers withdraw unless the civil and political gains made by the various indigenous people of those countries (counting Iraq as well now) are such that it is not in their interests to let the whole edifice go to the wall.

Time will tell where we all go from here, but I severely doubt whether either country will be anything like a success story. In terms of the ambitions of British and American politicians after Sept 11th 2001, I think the appropriate phrase will be abject failure.