Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Proposal to Name a US Navy ship in the Honor of Lt. John William Finn, USN deceased

This is part of the petition....

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to FINN, JOHN WILLIAM

Rank and organization: Lieutenant, U.S. Navy. Place and date: Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941. Entered service at: California. Born: 24 July 1909, Los Angeles, Calif.

Citation:

For extraordinary heroism distinguished service, and devotion above and beyond the call of duty. During the first attack by Japanese airplanes on the Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, on 7 December 1941, Lt. Finn promptly secured and manned a .50-caliber machinegun mounted on an instruction stand in a completely exposed section of the parking ramp, which was under heavy enemy machinegun strafing fire. Although painfully wounded many times, he continued to man this gun and to return the enemy's fire vigorously and with telling effect throughout the enemy strafing and bombing attacks and with complete disregard for his own personal safety. It was only by specific orders that he was persuaded to leave his post to seek medical attention. Following first aid treatment, although obviously suffering much pain and moving with great difficulty, he returned to the squadron area and actively supervised the rearming of returning planes. His extraordinary heroism and conduct in this action were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Whereas that Lt. John William Finn was the only Aviation Ordnanceman to receive the Medal of Honor in the history of the Navy.

Whereas Lt. John William Finn was an inspiration to the sailors in the Aviation Ordnance field; sailors whose jobs, while significant to projecting air power, is decidedly unglamorous.

For the full text and to sign this is the link.....

http://www.petitiononline.com/USSLTJWF/petition.html

I normally stay on the sidelines on thing like this, however he was an AO and he did earn the Medal of Honor, so a ship of the United States Navy should bear his name.

# 909

1295 Should have been done a long time ago.

This guy rates a ship named after him,unlike some of the politicians that are getting it. :salute:

AS of this posting the petition has accrued 2866 signatures. It was started last Friday night. Not a bad start for this endeavor. I've seen how many views this has had, but how many members have actually clicked the link and singed the form? At the very least the Navy members should be stepping up, if you did thanks if have not, why?

BTW,food for thought, the next name on the list for a Navy warship is John Murtha. Think about it.

Dave or Erik, can this be stickyed ?

Edited by firehawkordy

Done.

I know i´m not who should make any statement about it, but shouldn´t they use up all the hero names before starting naming ships after politicians?

I know i´m not who should make any statement about it, but shouldn´t they use up all the hero names before starting naming ships after politicians?

It should be a good, politically neutral thing to name ships only after those exemplary men who have earned the Navy Cross or the MoH, but don't forget that even Navy-Cross-holder Randy Cunningham has tarnished his own name in politics.

3341 we need more. is this on facebook yet?

Yes, it's where this movement got started last Friday night. Here's the group link...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000317706513&ref=profile#!/group.php?gid=130209676991878&v=wall

Note I am only a member of this FB group, but like I said earlier, John Finn was an AO and AO's always try to help and honor their own.

#5412 This is LONG overdue! God Bless the United States Navy, Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard!!!

Update;

As far as I have been able to ascertain this bill is still in committee hopefully it will make it to the next stage.